(PO Now) mewithoutYou - Pale Horses

I saw them during AB Life as well, and it was crazy.  I think Norma Jean rubbed off on them a bit.  But it seems like their live show has remained the same since Brother, Sister.  Some shows have been more energetic than others, but they have all been good and Aaron always brings something different to each show.

I agree on both accounts: Norma Jean probably did rub off on them, and their live show has remained pretty much the same since Brother, Sister.

Dunno why people hold off on listening to stuff before the LP release. An album is still just a collection of songs no matter how you look at it. Sure sometimes there's a flow or whatever, but hearing a song before release shouldn't taint that. New song is solid. Check it out. It's just music. Don't take it so seriously. Don't forget that it's supposed to be fun.

Dunno why people hold off on listening to stuff before the LP release. An album is still just a collection of songs no matter how you look at it. Sure sometimes there's a flow or whatever, but hearing a song before release shouldn't taint that. New song is solid. Check it out. It's just music. Don't take it so seriously. Don't forget that it's supposed to be fun.

I'm a big fan of waiting until I have the album in hand so that I can listen to it for the first time on wax, read the liner notes and take in the artwork/extras with the music. To each their own.

For those inclined to partake, the band posted the official lyrics and a small write up on D-Minor.

http://mewithoutyou.com/blogs/news/27063812-listen-to-the-new-song-d-minor

I never realized the similarities between Natural Milk Hotel and Aaron's lyrics but now I can definitely see the influence. 

Personal opinion...

I'm eager to hear this new album but can't get over Will Yip's lifeless guitar production. He must work for cheap because I cannot understand why anyone records with him. The lack of dynamic range in his production reminds me of songs made for the radio. I was surprised by Red Crow though... Hoping for more energy on this album.

Well, the "Uneven Wear" Theory postulates that if one who generally listens to albums start to finish in rotation listens to one song a significant amount of times before the release of an album, there will be a gap in the novelty of listening to the full album in the place where the aforementioned pre-listened-to song is in the sequence of the track listing. That gap will become noticeable to people who listen in terms of full album rotations and cause some measure of dysphoria where they would otherwise (i.e. having not pre-listened to individual tracks a significant amount of times) felt the uniform freshness from hearing those songs altogether had they waited to hear the album as a whole first.

Other than that some people enjoy the sense of novelty in a experiencing an album from a physical medium for the very first time. It includes a certain sense of ritual that is very fulfilling to many of us and to listen to more than just a single digitally any number of times before that event is somewhat lackluster just because some of us have such an attachment to the physical medium and being completely surprised by the content in that first listen.

Well, the "Uneven Wear" Theory postulates that if one who generally listens to albums start to finish in rotation listens to one song a significant amount of times before the release of an album, there will be a gap in the novelty of listening to the full album in the place where the aforementioned pre-listened-to song is in the sequence of the track listing. That gap will become noticeable to people who listen in terms of full album rotations and cause some measure of dysphoria where they would otherwise (i.e. having not pre-listened to individual tracks a significant amount of times) felt the uniform freshness from hearing those songs altogether had they waited to hear the album as a whole first.

Other than that some people enjoy the sense of novelty in a experiencing an album from a physical medium for the very first time. It includes a certain sense of ritual that is very fulfilling to many of us and to listen to more than just a single digitally any number of times before that event is somewhat lackluster just because some of us have such an attachment to the physical medium and being completely surprised by the content in that first listen.

This so much. I tend to hold off hearing anything from some of my more favorite bands just to hear it all at once for the first time from a tangible object. It adds so much to the experience as a whole. Though sometimes my determination wavers admittedly  ;)

I've been way too lenient with it. Its funny because I can recall feeling deep regret that I've caused uneven wear and I tell myself with almost every highly anticipated release that I'm not gonna do it to myself again... and then I do it with at least one or two tracks. So dumb. No self control.

I saw them during AB Life as well, and it was crazy.  I think Norma Jean rubbed off on them a bit.  But it seems like their live show has remained the same since Brother, Sister.  Some shows have been more energetic than others, but they have all been good and Aaron always brings something different to each show.

When I saw them, they stood quite still. It was the European tour of It's all crazy. They played "In A Sweater Poorly Knit" last and went off stage. When we cheered them on again, they said "We just played our best song, we don't have anything better...". Then they played Torches Together. It was pretty fun that they're that self aware. Poorly Knit is their best song, according to me.

I adore the way they've closed every album. 

Hmm, I must say it's pretty much 50/50 for me. The acoustic version of I Never Said I Was Brave is sooooo good, it's the best thing on A/B for me. Son Of A Widow I have never been able to get into. Sweater is amazing. Allah Allah Allah is OK, it's pretty catchy. All Circles is pretty good.

Hmm, I must say it's pretty much 50/50 for me. The acoustic version of I Never Said I Was Brave is sooooo good, it's the best thing on A/B for me. Son Of A Widow I have never been able to get into. Sweater is amazing. Allah Allah Allah is OK, it's pretty catchy. All Circles is pretty good.

You should your dirty mouth about Son Of A Widow. Just kidding, the first few years after Foxes was released I thought Son Of A Widow was a very underwhelming way to end the record after how awesome Carousels is but over the years both have become a perfect ending to me

I've never been able to get into these guys, but I've always wanted to. I love their lyrics and reading those and interviews with them have always intrigued me. But the music just doesn't stick. I'm hoping one song will eventually and the rest will stick from there. But regardless of my taste, I respect the hell out of these guys. They seem like a great group of guys creating honest music.

I've never been able to get into these guys, but I've always wanted to. I love their lyrics and reading those and interviews with them have always intrigued me. But the music just doesn't stick. I'm hoping one song will eventually and the rest will stick from there. But regardless of my taste, I respect the hell out of these guys. They seem like a great group of guys creating honest music.

I was the same way until I sat down and listened to Brother, Sister front to back, no distractions.

I've been listening to them since like 2003 and saw them several times between CFUTF and B,S and have never seen them play Bullet to Binary and that seriously bums me out.

I saw them with Touche Amore after not having seen them since they toured with Thursday in like 06...07? They played Nice and Blue and I lost my shit and Mosher like I was a teenager.

Also, as great as In a Sweater Poorly Knit is their best song is clearly January 1979

I've been listening to them since like 2003 and saw them several times between CFUTF and B,S and have never seen them play Bullet to Binary and that seriously bums me out.

I saw them with Touche Amore after not having seen them since they toured with Thursday in like 06...07? They played Nice and Blue and I lost my shit and Mosher like I was a teenager.

Also, as great as In a Sweater Poorly Knit is their best song is clearly January 1979

when i saw them with Touche on their recent tour the only song they played from A B was Bullet to close. the show was really sick but a little too much 10 Stories for my taste, I enjoy the album a lot but it just doesn't compare. their stage presence was still really good though. 

i saw them years before headlining a pretty small show at in my hometown and they closed with Torches Together into January 1979, I still remember it vividly because people had been calling for it, although the rest of the show has blurred together with time. 

I have a question for members of the board here, specifically those who collect cassettes now.

I bought the ten stories cassette, limited to 200, and received it yesterday.

My question is, what the hell do I do with it?

If I wanna collect it, should I not open it?

I know I will NEVER play it.

Idk if I even have a tape deck anymore.

What do members recommend?

Thanks for any helpful replies!