Menomena - Friend And Foe - Vinyl Me Please Repress (April 2015)

I never understood why they never released a 10" or 12" version of Wet and Rusting?  

When I first read about this VMP listing I kinda figured that would be the deal...the first (full) issue of the EP with the LP.  Instead they send you a goodamn cover art print of a record that's not included in the release?!  Just another reason I am thus far disappointed with this club.

I never understood why they never released a 10" or 12" version of Wet and Rusting?

When I first read about this VMP listing I kinda figured that would be the deal...the first (full) issue of the EP with the LP. Instead they send you a goodamn cover art print of a record that's not included in the release?! Just another reason I am thus far disappointed with this club.

I mean...it's a repress of an album that's been long out of print in beautiful packaging. For 23-27 a month I don't know if it would be that profitable for them to get the record and an EP.

I mean...it's a repress of an album that's been long out of print in beautiful packaging. For 23-27 a month I don't know if it would be that profitable for them to get the record and an EP.

Exactly. Plus there's existing plates for the Friend and For repress, they'd have to make a new one for an EP

Exactly. Plus there's existing plates for the Friend and For repress, they'd have to make a new one for an EP

Fair enough.  I still feel they need to do more with their releases to get me on board.  I like the direction they seem to be going with artist selections, just not impressed with the contents of the releases.  It's targeted to the youthful hipnation.  I'd gladly pay upfor a more interesting product, especially when they are doing reissues of OOP gems.  

Also, Menomena should have piloted this reissue.  It's a crime to give such a great record a mediocre release.  Glad more people get to spin it now though.

Also, Menomena should have piloted this reissue. It's a crime to give such a great record a mediocre release. Glad more people get to spin it now though.

Curious why you thought this was a mediocre release for the reissue? Did you want improved artwork? (The original art was nominated for a Grammy). A different color? I think 180gm black should sound great. I guess a disc of extra tracks would be nice, but barring that, I'm curious what would improve this- not trying to be snarky, just interested-

Curious why you thought this was a mediocre release for the reissue? Did you want improved artwork? (The original art was nominated for a Grammy). A different color? I think 180gm black should sound great. I guess a disc of extra tracks would be nice, but barring that, I'm curious what would improve this- not trying to be snarky, just interested-

The art is perfect, the music and packaging are unique and unprecedented.  The 10th anniversary is coming in two years and Justin and Danny (and Brent) know how important this album was to their trajectory as art-rock stalwarts, why not keep the rights for a massive re-release that they curate themselves (beyond the obvious hurdles that would entail)?  This album meant so much to me when it came out, it feels like VMP is just cashing in with little to add to its preceding press besides hipster alignment and an excellent marketing opportunity. The VMP issue is again a really nice package, but I can't help but think this album is worth more than a straight forward reissue.

The band is so creative and I felt this release should have reflected that.  But I digress, mediocre was a bit harsh.  

And I'm glad a new generation of fans get a chance to own it at last.

• 11 months later...

I think I've come across a new non-VMP pressing of Friend & Foe.

I have all pressings of this so far, and this has a new hype sticker I've never seen on any previous pressings.

I'm going to guess it's a new Barsuk repress using the same plates as the VMP edition, but still thought it was noteworthy...

Only seen online, need to get my hands on one to be certain tho.

s-l1600.jpg