Jamie XX - In Colour

This album is pretty boring, Boomkat review is spot on:

**Limited Deluxe triple LP edition, cut at 45rpm on coloured vinyl with printed inners and two exclusive instrumentals. Also includes a copy of the CD free inside** Jamie xx practises safe raving with his debut solo album proper, following a 2011 collaboration with Gil Scott-Heron and production as part of The xx. 'In Colour' posits Jamie as the pre-eminent posh soul boy, lifting and massaging inspiration from the rich heritage of late '80s + early '90s London dance culture and channelling it into a pop-ready format palatable to Radio 1 daytime tastes and festival soundtracks. The putative "soul" of rare groove, boogie, hardcore and early jungle is sucked out and spliced with vocals in feathered arrangements ripened up for students and yummy mummys alike - all under one roof. From the deflated hardcore of 'Gosh' to the trudging 'Girl', it's as seductive as a Waitrose fridge on a warm day, infused with exotic tropical reference points in the steel drums of 'Obvs', mixing the suburban Breaks of latter-day Chicane and Marine Parade with woolly chords right out of a Lamb classic in 'Hold Tight', or nodding to seminal Joss Stone in 'Loud Places'. Oh, it's going to be a great summer, we can just feel it.

Gotta love a retail store review being negative haha

pre-eminent posh soul boy, lifting and massaging inspiration from the rich heritage of late '80s + early '90s London dance culture and channelling it into a pop-ready format palatable to Radio 1 daytime tastes and festival soundtracks

How is this different than Disclosure?

I mean, how do you enjoy anything in dance/electronic music if you can't like this? I mean I guess if Autechre is your end all be all you can't like it. But then you are probably someone who is terrible to interact with.

How is this different than Disclosure?

I mean, how do you enjoy anything in dance/electronic music if you can't like this? I mean I guess if Autechre is your end all be all you can't like it. But then you are probably someone who is terrible to interact with.

I know I just posted a similar sentiment, but I feel that line you quoted was meant to be a compliment.

I think the overall message form the Boomkat 'review' is that the album isn't really anything, it just is what it is. Which is exactly what I felt when listening to it. It didn't grab me in any way, it just pleasantly drifted from one track to the next. Not a bad thing if that is your sort of deal but it was a little lukewarm

I don't think there is anything wrong with dance music that's more engaging for a wider audience that somehow skirts being poppy and bro-y. It's in the money IMO. It can pull in casual listeners and music heads. Only a positive thing for electronic music, which still widely regarded as an esoteric genre.

I'm not too sure electronic music is an esoteric genre anymore - Triple J here in Australia has been playing more and more of it over the last 5 years. Hell they were even playing Aphex Twin this year. So many electronic artists going around these days which makes it all the more difficult to release an album that stands out from the crowd, and I think this album seeps back into it rather than out of it. It is a decent album I just wouldnt drop $50 dollars on the record for it

I'm not too sure electronic music is an esoteric genre anymore - Triple J here in Australia has been playing more and more of it over the last 5 years. Hell they were even playing Aphex Twin this year. So many electronic artists going around these days which makes it all the more difficult to release an album that stands out from the crowd, and I think this album seeps back into it rather than out of it. It is a decent album I just wouldnt drop $50 dollars on the record for it

Electronic music is about this esoteric....

I am being serious. For the most part electronic/dance/whatever music is marginalized.Sure you have the asshole college kids who are into whoever is hot in vegas right now and then you have the IDM kids in their parents basements, But widespread appreciation of dance/electronic music stops at how it influences pop. While huge in the large scheme, its not very mainstream. So when you have an album like this, that seems like it cross over (to be fair, I don't think it will. It will get acclaim, but its not going to be some massive LP), it's a good thing.

Maybe this is the disconnect here, I'm in America. American radio is not as progressive.

In the US if you ask a music fan of moderate interest in electronic music for a electronic act, they will most likely mention some late 90s "electronica" or big beat act, like the chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim,or The Prodigy. It basically died in the early Aughts. On our radio, it lives on in pop music.