Jamie XX - In Colour

I'm pretty confused at the point you are trying to make. You are saying that not many people listen to electronic music anymore, yet it lives on in pop music, which is what the majority of people listen to?

Ya. I stopped responding figuring it didnt mtater what I responded with. Electronic music is way bigger now than it was in the 90s.

To say current "moderate" American electronic music fans can only name 90s acts is plain silly.

Yeah, I wasn't making my point very well. 

I'm just saying I don't think its as popular here as it could be. Its certainly more popular than in the 90s, but I don't think its as mainstream as it could potentially be. Pop music is where it seems to reach through to mainstream audiences. Boomkat seems to be criticising this album because it has that reach. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. 

Or maybe I'm just completely wrong and am out of touch.

Yeah, I wasn't making my point very well. 

I'm just saying I don't think its as popular here as it could be. Its certainly more popular than in the 90s, but I don't think its as mainstream as it could potentially be. Pop music is where it seems to reach through to mainstream audiences. Boomkat seems to be criticising this album because it has that reach. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. 

Or maybe I'm just completely wrong and am out of touch.

I wish vinylcollective had more electronic fans.  it's by far what i listen to the most.  i can't get out of the obsession. 

Just to lend to the discussion:

I'm probably biased because I live in a large city (Los Angeles), but in my 28 years on this planet, I've never seen electronica have a firmer hold on the mainstream.  Case in point is Coachella a music festival that has become more and more electronica driven over the years.   And that's not even bringing up what acts are actually drawing the crowds.  

I mean fuck, Kaskade (GAG) broke Rage Against the Machine's record (from 07') for most people out on the main stage this year.    And a lot of bands that are worshiped on this site and/or who would have drawn large crowds in the past (for example, Built to Spill) drew miniscule crowds because everybody was over at the tents.  I happen to be somebody that loves rock, hip-hop and electronica so I see both the pros and cons in this... and for the record, Jamie XX was packed and he absolutely killed it which is why I buckled and pre-ordered this album despite the high price point (it takes a special case for me to even break $30 normally). 

Also, count me as down for the electronica thread.