~$200 Record Cleaning Machines (Record Doctor V vs. Gem Dandy Mk II)

I just made a long post/writeup about these two machines and lost it. I've never tried either as I have access to a VPI, but I thought these could be useful for some people here who know most of the cheap cleaning solutions out there are crap and VPI's are really expensive. Has anyone tried either of these?

Record Doctor V ($199 @ Amazon) -

Seems like a budget version of a VPI. It seems what it lacks in construction and features, it sure makes up for in affordability. Most reviews I've found make the case that it's definitely worth the price.

RDV_1.jpg

Gem Dandy Hydraulic Record Cleaner ($169 + shipping @ Sleeve City)

I came across this one randomly. It looks very DIY and sits in your sink and uses your tap water to power wash records. I assume the quality of the clean would depend on the quality of your water. I would also be reluctant to use this without a vacuum dry. Though, most reviews I've read swear up and down that this type of solution is more effective than $1000+ cleaning machines. 

You can be the judge whether this review is legit or BS: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gem/dandy.html

1.jpg

I'd love to hear if anyone here owns either of these and can give an unbiased review. 

I'm an idiot, so I tried to make my own VPI type thing, but I ruined a record for the most part, so once I decided that it was worth the the money to have good, clean records, I bought the Record Doctor V. Well worth it, though it is very labor intensive (though not nearly as much as a Spin Clean which I also had) and you can only do about 5-6 records at a time because it gets really hot. But it works, and it works very well.

While I don't own the Record Doctor V, I do own the KAB EV-1, which appears to be the identical concept without a motor. 

https://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm

It works perfectly and I love it. I had records that looked NM and played unbelievably noisy that played NM after a cleaning. I did a lot of research before I settled on the KAB and I'm extremely happy with it. I'm not some hardcore audiophile that needs to use some kind of perfect, magical cleaning solution for sonic perfection. I just need the dirt up and out of the grooves. And I wouldn't want to be tied to a built in motor or have a paperweight when the motor inevitably dies. I'm pretty sure I can find free vacuum cleaners for life to hook up to my KAB.

Sorry if this is a pointless opinion to you, but outside of the built in motor, these appear to be identical concepts and I strongly recommend this particular method provided that built in motor is worth a damn.

I've had the Record Doctor V for 3 or 4 months now and it has worked great for me. I haven't tried to clean a record that was completely trashed as I tend not to buy records like that. But I do have more used than new vinyl, and I haven't run into a record this couldn't help yet. It's definitely a little time consuming being totally manual, but I actually have come to enjoy the ritual of running through some dirty records while listening to music. All the records I clean go into MOFI inner sleeves, sound clean, and stay static free from then on.

While I don't own the Record Doctor V, I do own the KAB EV-1, which appears to be the identical concept without a motor. 

https://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm

It works perfectly and I love it. I had records that looked NM and played unbelievably noisy that played NM after a cleaning. I did a lot of research before I settled on the KAB and I'm extremely happy with it. I'm not some hardcore audiophile that needs to use some kind of perfect, magical cleaning solution for sonic perfection. I just need the dirt up and out of the grooves. And I wouldn't want to be tied to a built in motor or have a paperweight when the motor inevitably dies. I'm pretty sure I can find free vacuum cleaners for life to hook up to my KAB.

Sorry if this is a pointless opinion to you, but outside of the built in motor, these appear to be identical concepts and I strongly recommend this particular method provided that built in motor is worth a damn.

Seconded RE the EV-1 not having a built-in motor.  I thought along the same lines where i'd much rather depend on a common household vacuum to do that work vs. a proprietary motor that will likely die and need to be replaced at some point.

I have a record doctor V and second that it is great but the brush that comes with it is garbage. With a better brush it is a great option to affordably clean records... As for that other thing I would personally opt to not bring my records anywhere near a sink.

Nobody trusts the water supply anymore.  Can't drink it and can't clean records with it.  The system is collapsing.

I lost it at work. That's gold.

I also just got a RDV but I'm waiting to get the MOFI cleaner in the mail before I can test it out. Does anyone have the upgraded bearing on the RDV and think it's worth getting?

Do you guys DIY on the solution, or have a certain brand that your prefer?  I've been wanting to buy something, but still not sure what route I want to go.  Right now just using my dads classic discwasher and some shitty fluid.

I make my own solution.  2 parts distilled water, 1 part isopropyl alcohol, with a drop or 2 of dish soap.

I lost it at work. That's gold.

I also just got a RDV but I'm waiting to get the MOFI cleaner in the mail before I can test it out. Does anyone have the upgraded bearing on the RDV and think it's worth getting?

When you run out of the cleaner solution you bought, just reuse the bottle and make your own, it's super easy and will save you money.

so the record doctor V is a no brainer? I've heard some stories of people ruining records and it made me hesitant.

I'm completely fine with dropping $200 if it's actually going to clean my records and I don't need to do anything too special.

yeah, that record doctor looks pretty solid and being similar to my EV-1 i would also say, like Seafinch, that you would have to be trying to ruin a record.  That 2nd one, GEM, looks like a little more of a hassle but can't say one way or another if it works as well.

I make my own solution.  2 parts distilled water, 1 part isopropyl alcohol, with a drop or 2 of dish soap.

Do you guys DIY on the solution, or have a certain brand that your prefer?  I've been wanting to buy something, but still not sure what route I want to go.  Right now just using my dads classic discwasher and some shitty fluid.

This has been thoroughly discussed. I suggest you use the search function for record cleaning, and read some of my rants.

This has been thoroughly discussed. I suggest you use the search function for record cleaning, and read some of my rants.

I searched awhile ago and most of what I saw was that you make your own in a lab (or at least I think it's you.) I couldn't find anything on what people can use if they don't have access to that kind of stuff. Could you let me know what a decent home made solution is?

For the record I use:

4 parts distilled water

1 part 99% isopropyl

1 tsp jet dry

3 drops clear/scent free dish soap

then I made a rinse with 4 cups distilled water and 1/2 tsp jet dry