~$200 Record Cleaning Machines (Record Doctor V vs. Gem Dandy Mk II)

Really?  and how does one "spray salt" exactly?

companies create a product for one reason and one reason only... to make money.  to get people to buy into the product, that could otherwise be made at home for a fraction of the price, they, like you, put dramatic emphasis on just how important it is to use a fancy pants lab-grade solution.  when the reality is that there is no discernible difference between my solution vs. theirs in terms of functionality.

That is not a true reality. That's like saying a Crosley plays just as well as my Marantz TT-15S.

Wow this thread is a shitstorm.

Not everyone shares your idealistic thought process.  Good sound IS important to me and lots of other people who don't feel the need to use your lab-grade reagents in their cleaning solution.  You seem to be losing sight of the fact that this is a needle reading grooves in a piece of plastic.  Not a laser beam following the movement of every atom in a disc of pure unobtainium.  The bottom line is that lab-grade reagents are not really necessary.  It's not like you're going to be sitting there, listening, going, "Damn... I can really hear the noise from my stylus hitting what sounds like haloacetic acid molecules.  I knew I shouldn't have used plain old distilled water..."

I respect your opinion but when you start bashing on people that don't share the same opinion, you come off sounding like a condescending jerk.

I lost it.

Well, my curiosity got the best of me and I picked up a Record Doctor V to try it out. Having used the VPI a bunch and knowing how it works and what not to do, I've had pretty great results from the RDV. With the manual operation there's a lot more room for error, but using this with my ZeroStat gun has been pretty solid. Not sure I'm ready to give up the VPI or anything, but for people that don't have that kind of money, this is a pretty worth-while investment.