~$200 Record Cleaning Machines (Record Doctor V vs. Gem Dandy Mk II)

Good sound SHOULD be important to anyone using a turntable. Or integrity of your stylus.

Not everyone shares your idealistic thought process.  Good sound IS important to me and lots of other people who don't feel the need to use your lab-grade reagents in their cleaning solution.  You seem to be losing sight of the fact that this is a needle reading grooves in a piece of plastic.  Not a laser beam following the movement of every atom in a disc of pure unobtainium.  The bottom line is that lab-grade reagents are not really necessary.  It's not like you're going to be sitting there, listening, going, "Damn... I can really hear the noise from my stylus hitting what sounds like haloacetic acid molecules.  I knew I shouldn't have used plain old distilled water..."

I respect your opinion but when you start bashing on people that don't share the same opinion, you come off sounding like a condescending jerk.

Not everyone shares your idealistic thought process. Good sound IS important to me and lots of other people who don't feel the need to use your lab-grade reagents in their cleaning solution. You seem to be losing sight of the fact that this is a needle reading grooves in a piece of plastic. Not a laser beam following the movement of every atom in a disc of pure unobtainium. The bottom line is that lab-grade reagents are not really necessary. It's not like you're going to be sitting there, listening, going, "Damn... I can really hear the noise from my stylus hitting what sounds like haloacetic acid molecules. I knew I shouldn't have used plain old distilled water..."

I respect your opinion but when you start bashing on people that don't share the same opinion, you come off sounding like a condescending jerk.

You'll hear it when your stylus goes belly up.

Best way to preserve your records and stylus is to not use them. Store them in a humidity and temperature controlled room in a territory that experiences less drastic seasonal shifts. On your death bed, threaten legal action against any children or relatives who might think about listening to your International Noise Conspiracy/Katy Perry records.

Hey people clean cast iron by rubbing/spraying it with salt. Why not try it on a record?

Really?  and how does one "spray salt" exactly?

Also if lab grade reagents weren't necessary, no company would create record cleaning solutions. Do you think MoFi buys their solutions at WalMart? Come on...

companies create a product for one reason and one reason only... to make money.  to get people to buy into the product, that could otherwise be made at home for a fraction of the price, they, like you, put dramatic emphasis on just how important it is to use a fancy pants lab-grade solution.  when the reality is that there is no discernible difference between my solution vs. theirs in terms of functionality.

Best way to preserve your records and stylus is to not use them. Store them in a humidity and temperature controlled room in a territory that experiences less drastic seasonal shifts. On your death bed, threaten legal action against any children or relatives who might think about listening to your International Noise Conspiracy/Katy Perry records.

You need those wall frames with a built in humidifier to display them properly

i guess i should just leave this alone.  i don't have a problem with a differing opinion, i just don't like when someone comes into a thread and starts slamming on my way with an attitude like i'm an idiot and then also presumptuously link me to the "Crosley-using newb" group because i make DIY record cleaning solution.  it's just... annoying.

it's not like buying a proper cleaning solution is even expensive.  do you make your own toothpaste too?  I don't really understand the aversion.

Haha.  no, i don't make my own toothpaste.  i do take short cuts on costs any chance i see to take them if it's reasonable to take a short cut.  i'm a single dad who isn't rich, money is something i have to be conscious about.