Jay 'Z' launches "Tidal" HIFI streaming service

Man. I'm shocked at the amount of negativity on this forum.

I understand if it's not your cup of tea but everyone's so fast to label it a cash crab. I for one am happy to pay $20 a month for the difference in sound I can hear when doing tests between this and spotify on my Martin Logan speakers or oppo headphones. It's a really good value when I consider I spend much more than $20 a month on CDs only to obtain a lossless copy ripped to my computer. By getting this service I won't need to continue to purchase so many CDs. Now It'll just be vinyl and streaming lossless for me

This would probably go over a little better at Lossless HIFI Streaming Collective. This is the VINYL forum in a VINYL message board. I'm surprised that this hasn't been locked or moved to the Everything Else thread by now.

On restoring "fair trade" in music:

Definitely. For someone like me, I can go on tour. But what about the people working on the record, the content creators and not just the artists? If they’re not being compensated properly, then I think we’ll lose some writers and producers and people like that who depend on fair trade. Some would probably have to take another job, and I think we’ll lose some great writers in the process. Is it fair? No. If you put in work, everyone else, you go to work you get paid. That’s fair trade. It’s what our country is built on.

hah. this just kills me. oh, you mean the people that you made your millions on the backs of, that do everything for you, that you wouldn't be shit without, don't get the pay or recognition they deserve while you take the credit and cash in? and that isn't fair? do tell me more.

Streaming services, of all stripes, have pretty much stayed at $10 or under so they've got an uphill value in demonstrating their value proposition to the average consumer. I've got no problem with the price point, if the stream is truly high quality. I still think these subscription models offer tremendous value, even at $20, but definitely don't care enough about the sound quality to pay double the price. So, in that sense, my opinion is sort of irrelevant. 

I think Daft Punk and Aphex Twin probably also like money and getting paid for their music. 

If I want a Lossless audio file. I'll download it. I'm not paying 20$ a month for that.

It also saddens me to see artists like Daft Punk and aphex twin being a part of this.

Streaming services, of all stripes, have pretty much stayed at $10 or under so they've got an uphill value in demonstrating their value proposition to the average consumer. I've got no problem with the price point, if the stream is truly high quality. I still think these subscription models offer tremendous value, even at $20, but definitely don't care enough about the sound quality to pay double the price. So, in that sense, my opinion is sort of irrelevant. 

I think Daft Punk and Aphex Twin probably also like money and getting paid for their music. 

TOSzpgg.png

The only use a streaming service would ever have for me, is on my phone, in my car. Why would I pay $20/month for lossless audio to be streamed over my 4g and max our my plan?

I totally agree. Frankly, I don't think the audience is there for that tier of service. We could be proven wrong, we shall see. It wouldn't surprise me if they lossless option is included as more of a differentiator than anything else. They can loudly proclaim the quality of their service exceeds their competitors in the initial marketing push whilst knowing full well that they'll probably be scaling-back that service offering at some point in the future.

WOW!!!! That Tidal press conference and video has inspired a sudden desire  in me to pirate the shit out of all their music. That had to be one of the most tone-deaf and out of touch things I've ever seen.

For real man. Probably a better way to launch a service then having some of the richest artists in the world ask for double the money.

Really interesting to see all the negative opinions going on in this thread. I read this less as a "cash grab" and more as an attempt by some of the older, more successful musicians to preserve the industry for a new generation. Like it or not, streaming is the future of music consumption. And while Tidal definitely needs to iron out it's kinks ($20 a month for lossless is ludicrous), I can see this being a very good thing. Artists complain all the time about streaming paying them pennies. If Jay Z and co. can provide a streaming service that pays artists acceptably and with its focus on the consumer as they're claiming, awesome. They definitely have my attention.

I have no real opinion on this service - I only found the promo press conference and video to be completely out of touch. 

I pay Netflix $8 a month. They are churning out a ton of well financed and high quality exclusives while also managing an incredible back catalogue. They are making a ton of money. People in my business are happy to work with them - they are actually very good to work with from an artists perspective. They are offering fair pay for the work they acquire and fund. 

I'm more of an indie music consumer so something like Tidal is never going to appeal to me since it won't mine deep enough to ever be worth it but their pricing is totally out of sync with the media world. Netflix grew up - Tidal wants to be an adult from day one. I'm not buying in. 

if they matched spotify's prices they would probably have more of a case for themselves

The point that they're trying to make is that spotify rips off artists. Though, by having tons of millionaires endorsing this and not explaining how smaller artists get paid, they're not exactly explaining how this is any sort of solution.