The Interpunk VAULT

I got a survey email from them a couple weeks ago asking if I'd care if they carried non-punk records and merch. I think we can all see where they're going with this.

Seems like they've started stocking "non-punk". I see Led Zepplin, Daft Punk and Fleetwood Mac in the new and upcoming section.

I...just...why? That Hives record can be had for far less even if one decides to order a white copy internationally. I don't get where some of these numbers came from. I've always loved interpunk, they used to be my go to for band shirts about 15 years ago. I spent so much money on Yellowcard and Hopesfall shirts with them during my musical identity crisis as a wee lad. This, to me, is no different than the modern state of the record store; shit prices on OOP stuff they think is way cooler, and worth way more, than it is, that someone will still probably buy in the end.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: "don't like it, don't buy it." No one is forcing anyone to buy these records, and it seems like not too many folks here are interested in them anyway. So, who cares? Labels and stores do this all the time. But maybe someone is stoked on the tour edition of a Beatnik Termites Ramones cover album.

Not the point. They should still be selling it for the SRP even if that was the case. Interpunk sells some of my records, and if I found out they were selling stuff after it was out of print for more than it was supposed to be sold for, I'd be pissed. When they sell my records I get to decide the price and they let me know what their markup is. If they break that agreement, I'd be mad. 

You do know what the S in SRP stands for, right?  Suggested Retail Price.  There was nothing stopping Interpunk from selling these records at these prices when they got them originally, but that's not a great business model.  They would have sat on a lot more product than what they've listed here over the years, and likely would have gone out of business long ago.

Thing is, most of this stuff has been out (and out of print) for years and years, and the band has already gotten their money from the distributor who sold it to Interpunk loooooong ago.  So does Interpunk stick to the old SRP from a decade ago, which is undoubtedly going to be FAR less than what any new record sells for today?  Do they account for inflation?  Or do they just list it for the going market price for that particular record?  To me, the last one is the one that makes the most sense.  If they'd listed it at anything less, all of this shit would have been bought up by flippers and on eBay already, which I'm sure most of you guys would still whine about.

I think their wording about stashing these records away was clumsy for sure.  I think they stumbled upon these when doing a little spring cleaning.  Whatever the case, I'm not buying any of this stuff at the prices listed (though that Hives record is tempting), but this isn't going to stop me from shopping at Interpunk in the future.  If this is the last straw for you, more power to you.