So i just got a new Mac after 8 years...and i need some recommendations

My favorite, by far, is PS3 Media Server.  It connects with my BluRay player over my WiFi network, so I can stream anything (movies, music, etc) wirelessly to my TV.  This pairs well with NoSleep, which allows me to shut my MacBook without the computer falling asleep.

My favorite, by far, is PS3 Media Server.  It connects with my BluRay player over my WiFi network, so I can stream anything (movies, music, etc) wirelessly to my TV.  This pairs well with NoSleep, which allows me to shut my MacBook without the computer falling asleep.

NoSleep sounds useful to me.  I scp a lot of things on to my Air before trips and it would be nice to shut the lid while I'm doing it.

VLC is great.  I prefer mplayer overall, but I think VLC is a close second.

If you do spend a lot of time in a terminal, I'd use iTerm.  It's much better than the build in Terminal app.

I prefer mplayerx 100x.

Mplayer - simple, straight forward, easy to use.

VLC - A shit ton of features.

VLC would always fuck up on me with audio getting out of sync when going to HDMI for some reason. Was always PERFECT when on PC though. Odd. Trouble-shooted FOREVER and it wouldn't work. Mplayerx has never fucked up on me. No playlists, but it does have auto find next episode which is just as good (to me at least). Try them out and see what you like more.

• Clementine (Music Player - supports FLAC)
  • Spectre (Real Time Audio Analysic - great for records)
  • mplayerx (Video)
  • Spotify
  • VOX (Music Player - Gorgeous UI - supports FLAC)
  • Bartender (Menu organization)
  • utorrent
  • Firefox
  • Mailbox (Mail)

I prefer mxplayerx 100x.

Mplayer - simple, straight forward, easy to use.

VLC - A shit ton of features.

VLC would always fuck up on me with audio getting out of sync when going to HDMI for some reason. Was always PERFECT when on PC though. Odd. Trouble-shooted FOREVER and it wouldn't work. Mplayerx has never fucked up on me. No playlists, but it does have auto find next episode which is just as good (to me at least). Try them out and see what you like more.

• Clementine (Music Player - supports FLAC)
  • Spectre (Real Time Audio Analysic - great for records)
  • mplayerx (Video)
  • Spotify
  • VOX (Music Player - Gorgeous UI - supports FLAC)
  • Bartender (Menu organization)
  • utorrent
  • Firefox
  • Mailbox (Mail)

I like Clementine quite a bit too.  That's what I use for my music player at work.  It's everything I wish iTunes was.

this is interesting - it simply downloads when the file is available?  What about quality? Are the sources legit? How does it know?

I use it with Usenet and the Newznab sites (basically indexers) do an excellent job of weeding out false posts.  And yeah, you set how often it searches and it'll search for whatever movies are on your list at that interval.  Quality is whatever you set it to be (i.e. 720p BluRay rip or DVDRip and so on).  You can also set priority, so that if it downloads a DVDRip and a 1080p gets posted a few days later, it'll grab that (it's an optional setting).  It's pretty slick with Usenet, not sure how well it works on BT.  I'm assuming it uses RSS feeds from whatever sites you specify.

Another small app that is similar to NoSleep is Caffeine but it kinda does the opposite. Its a small coffee icon that sits in your top menu bar that allows you to turn off the screensaver/sleep option, useful if you are watching something long.

Also, i use Playback to stream from my iTunes (or any other media) to my PS3

Vuze is the best torrent Software.

Back this