Do you buy new bootlegs?

I buy boots that are live performances, or unreleased versions of songs. I would never buy a bootleg of a full released album, or just a compilation of readily available material. That would be a dis-service to a band you are trying to support.

I'm with you on this...the only boot I own is Depeche Mode - Violator Live.

I collect a lot of the 70s prog rock live releases on the TAKRL, TQM and Wizardo labels. Bands like Genesis, The Who, ELP and many others were released in the mid/70s. Some were nice FM broadcasts or soundboards, others were iffy recordings from a tape recorder shoved under a theater seat while the taper was munching popcorn. Definitely a labor of love, these items!

I collect a lot of the 70s prog rock live releases on the TAKRL, TQM and Wizardo labels. Bands like Genesis, The Who, ELP and many others were released in the mid/70s. Some were nice FM broadcasts or soundboards, others were iffy recordings from a tape recorder shoved under a theater seat while the taper was munching popcorn. Definitely a labor of love, these items!

Love me some Who. Used to have that Maximum R&B boot. Lo e to see pictures of your bootleg Who stuff.

I buy boots that are live performances, or unreleased versions of songs. I would never buy a bootleg of a full released album, or just a compilation of readily available material. That would be a dis-service to a band you are trying to support.

Right on. My only bootleg is Led Zeppelin Live on Blueberry Hill, because it will never see an official release and I personally think that bootlegs from the 60s, 70s and 80s are very cool. 

Right on. My only bootleg is Led Zeppelin Live on Blueberry Hill, because it will never see an official release and I personally think that bootlegs from the 60s, 70s and 80s are very cool.

There was a time that bootlegs, mostly live were out of a love for a band,to spread their music,release something rare and unheard and not about making a facsimile of something the band put out just to make a buck. Bootlegs of alternate takes of songs are fairly rare, and live performances that would never be released are what I am really refering to. I still have a Deadbolt show that our sound guy recorded straight through the board that's great, and I am still consider doing something with it. Some people I know are opening a pressing plant soon and I may talk to them about making a small run just for kicks.

Like many people on here, I could justify buying a boot if it wasn't too expensive and widely unavailable. I only bought some of those vinyl digital hip-hop releases like Frank Ocean's nostalgia.ultra, which sounds crappy and Ye's Graduation, which also received many complaints - mine wasn't too bad but clearly no analog source used.

I personally don't see a big problem in buying boots of stuff that OG copies are expensive as fuck. I'd rather own a bootleg than drop a ton of money on something that I'm not too too crazy about or willing to spent that much.

I own like 3 Mars Volta bootlegs, live at electric ballroom and the other live at lowlands, and deloused boot. I'm a huge fan and want to have a complete collection of anything available on vinyl, bootleg or not. Oh and that 7" of "a plague upon your hissing corpse"

I'm in the same boat as hxcoliver, I'm totally willing to drop $20-60 for a bootleg that sounds good in place of the original pressing if the the price will save me a couple hundred dollars. Case in point, see below....

The OG press usually goes for $250-400. Fuck that. I just bought a bootleg that sounds awesome for $35 AND it came on colored wax....

9846DDCB-3074-4BFE-8DF0-86AFD79097BF_zps

Actually after reading this i remembered that i do have quite a few Boots.....Metallica Live stuff.......Concerts that wont ever see vinyl or even CD for that Matter.........Fillmore 30 years Shows - Antarctica Show - Deehan KEA Show

I'm hoping that the new Met vinyl vault that is supposed to happen at some point covers these releases.

I'm hoping that the new Met vinyl vault that is supposed to happen at some point covers these releases.

Maybe.....They should have really jumped on the 30 year Shows and got something out for them....they would have been awesome to be at......It will be fan vote for the Live Vinyl Releases......Hoping for some Aussie Death Magnetic shows......maybe the Antarctica or Deehan shows will get a vote 

Concerning the quality issue of boots: At least 90% of all the records everyone of us is buying are digitally sourced or progressed somewhere on the way. All analogue is hella expensive and if a record indeed is all analogue, there's three stickers on the cover stating it. So, as far as source material, there's most likely no (audible) difference if boot or legit.

I hear you all.  Pressing from digital almost always means pressing from an overly loud digital master.  Everything I've owned be it official or bootleg that sounds like that gets resold.

It really bums me out when major labels go to the trouble of having it pressed without even preparing the audio for decent dynamics (aka. 10dB variance between quiet and loud).  I'm sure the internal conversation is then -  "should we release the new album on vinyl too?  nah we still have stock from the last vinyl release".

I do have this bit of advice: if it's a UMG release on vinyl, do your homework.  If it's a vinyl-digital release, obviously it's digital but someone actually has tried to make it dynamic... although the surface noise can mitigate that.

Concerning the quality issue of boots: At least 90% of all the records everyone of us is buying are digitally sourced or progressed somewhere on the way. All analogue is hella expensive and if a record indeed is all analogue, there's three stickers on the cover stating it. So, as far as source material, there's most likely no (audible) difference if boot or legit.

The sound quality has nothing to do with the source being digital or analog. If you are buying a bootleg, there is a good chance it was not properly mastered for vinyl and that makes a huge sound quality difference. 

The sound quality has nothing to do with the source being digital or analog. If you are buying a bootleg, there is a good chance it was not properly mastered for vinyl and that makes a huge sound quality difference. 

sounds like thats not just the case with boots.. some suggesting here that many releases are not mastered for vinyl.

If you are buying a bootleg, there is a good chance it was not properly mastered for vinyl and that makes a huge sound quality difference.

You are absolutely right. The quality of the mastering process does make a huge difference.

The sound quality has nothing to do with the source being digital or analog.

It does make a difference in the high-end register. Though none of us would ever notice (I honestly don't even care about that stuff too much).

What I was trying to say is that many people seem to think 'digital source=unlistenable' while most of their collections are just that. And it ain't all that important.

I have some really bad bootlegs which I regret buying, but they didn't cost me too much. I have The Weeknd's House of Baloons, which has spelling mistakes on the track listing and isn't even the same version as the full release, a few PJ Harvey bootlegs, Frank Ocean - Channel Orange which aside from a really poor sleeve isn't too bad. I once bought a record off ebay that was listed as an original pressing but when it arrived it was clearly a bootleg, I told the seller and he refunded me and told me to keep the record, fair enough!