Do you buy new bootlegs?

Some bootlegs sound great and others are just crap. It's a gamble, but worth it in some cases. I have a Mars Volta boot of Deloused that sounds and looks amazing. Also own an unofficial pressing of Animals by Pink Floyd that sounds better than the OP. But my PJ Harvey (Stories), Soundgarden (Superunknown), QOTSA (Songs for...) all sound terrible.

My bootleg copy of The Crow soundtrack sounds like shit and has pops/cracks throughout almost all of the songs. :( It was a major let down but then Lost Highway came in and saved my opinion on buying bootlegs. I think I have a few U2 boots as well as Depeche Mode and all of them sound decent to good.....

I say go for a bootleg if the price is right or the OG press is insanely expensive

I'm in the same boat as hxcoliver, I'm totally willing to drop $20-60 for a bootleg that sounds good in place of the original pressing if the the price will save me a couple hundred dollars. Case in point, see below....

The OG press usually goes for $250-400. Fuck that. I just bought a bootleg that sounds awesome for $35 AND it came on colored wax....

9846DDCB-3074-4BFE-8DF0-86AFD79097BF_zps

Finally got around to picking that up last week. Loving the sound of it.

Some bootlegs sound great and others are just crap. It's a gamble, but worth it in some cases. I have a Mars Volta boot of Deloused that sounds and looks amazing. Also own an unofficial pressing of Animals by Pink Floyd that sounds better than the OP. But my PJ Harvey (Stories), Soundgarden (Superunknown), QOTSA (Songs for...) all sound terrible.

I saw the PJ Harvey boot around loads when me and my gf were looking for the original press of Stories. It's really insidious - looks like people buy the boots thinking they''re real, hear how shit they are, and then do a really vague eBay or Discogs sale to get around the fact it's obviously a boot. They look terrible as well.

I'm a bit in both camps with bootlegs, I've been buying them for years so have plenty in my collection and like the decent live and out-takes ones but am not a fan of the poor quality fakes of studio albums.

Some of these fakes are just digital or even mp3 rips in poorly printed sleeves

to me a bootleg has always been different from a fake of a studio release and should be treated differently but you do get good and bad quality of both and luckily in most cases the fakes are pretty easy to spot but not all and it's easy to see how people can buy things thinking they are getting a legit release.

I do have quite a few different coloured versions of studio releases more for the novelty factor but I have in the past bought a fake of something because I can't get an original or won't pay the price for one.

There are some that are superb and I can think of one Rolling Stones studio LP that never made it out legit that is widely available as a boot and mine at least is very good quality.

Funny story... Yesterday I was at goodwill and I found a copy of Becks one foot in the grave on CD... There was a sticker on it, definately put there by a record store, saying they were selling it for 14- and that it was an import... So I said for $3 it's worth it... When I got in my car and opened it up it was obviously a self burned CD.. Not too upset for $3 but whoever dropped $14 on that must've been pretty bummed

Funny story... Yesterday I was at goodwill and I found a copy of Becks one foot in the grave on CD... There was a sticker on it, definately put there by a record store, saying they were selling it for 14- and that it was an import... So I said for $3 it's worth it... When I got in my car and opened it up it was obviously a self burned CD.. Not too upset for $3 but whoever dropped $14 on that must've been pretty bummed

They prob bought it, burned it, and donated it to Goodwill. Doubt it was the orig CD you have.

Also, why didnt you open it before you bought it?

• 3 months later...

Don't bother with the PJ boots.   They have decent quality packaging, but the sound quality is horrible.   I bought  Avocado / No Code / Binaural / Yield and sold them all within days of buying them.

I also bought Beck - Mellow Gold,  with sounds really really good.    That's about as far as my experience with bootlegs goes.

There are some that are superb and I can think of one Rolling Stones studio LP that never made it out legit that is widely available as a boot and mine at least is very good quality.

Which album is this? I'd love to hear it, but am not sure if I have or not.

No boots.  Never, I have fundamental issues with them, however I don't judge if someone wants to buy them.

I would always buy from the band if possible, but I have no moral issue if the band is flipping us the bird as far as official reissues go. The band gets 0$ regardless of if you buy an OP or a bootleg if it's OOP.

I would always buy from the band if possible, but I have no moral issue if the band is flipping us the bird as far as official reissues go. The band gets 0$ regardless of if you buy an OP or a bootleg if it's OOP.

Yeah but in the end you're getting a shit sourced replication. Why go through the trouble? at that rate I'm content with a CD copy, because I'm not getting anything more out of a boot.