First press or more limited reissue?

I'm looking for opinions on this.

I'm talking newer releases so the issue of first presses surviving and knocking the numbers back doesn't really apply.

Would you as a collector go for a first press or a slightly more limited reissue if you could only choose one?

If I like the band when the first press comes out I buy it because...then I have it. If I get into a band later in their career I usually just buy whatever is cheapest unless I specifically like one color way.

These aren't investments, dude, and if you're treating them as such you're going to be sorely disappointed in the long run.

Really? 

Thank you to the few of you who actually gave me their 2 cents on it, your thoughts on preference are appreciated and I think I'm going to go with a later press I like the colourway of more. 

But to the others.. 

Yes I'm new here and I get that I kinda have to earn my place, but theres really no need to act like this when I'm just asking for some advice from people who have been collecting for longer than I have.

This seemed like a nice community and a good place to get involved to buy, sell and trade as well as to discuss new releases and give each other a heads up when scammers surface. 

For the most part my experience here so far has been great, I've picked up some advice from those willing to share it and also been told of some general vinylcollective etiquette before I was allowed to trip up. 

If you are like this to all newbies then how do you expect anyone to learn or want to hang around after their 'generic threads'? 

Didn't realise this had gone through twice- apologies. Please merge them if possible! 

I hate it when first pressings survive and knock numbers back. 

What I meant was surviving in good condition or at all.

Surely logic suggests that older releases are in some cases damaged or even completely trashed through the years and are therefore not going to be sold/worth as much further down the line...

To the original poster:

It depends if you are interested in the record for sonics or collectability.  If you want the best sounding record, generally the rule of thumb is to get a 1st pressing.  Some exceptions to this could be when a audiophile label recuts a record using better equipment and techniques, etc.  But just because a label claims to be an audiophile label doesn't mean it's true.

For investment purposes, generally the more rare the pressing, the more valuable.  But if you are expecting to make a ton of money buying variants, you will probably end up being disappointed.

Theres so much more to it than color....you'll learn.

So far I've stuck pretty much exclusively to first presses but I was curious as to whether numbers factored in enough to knock first presses out of 'top position'. Not to mention how it all works out when a first press is released years after the original CD release.

I'm sure I will if I manage to get some genuine advice rather than being shown the door as soon as I post anything haha 

To the original poster:

It depends if you are interested in the record for sonics or collectability.  If you want the best sounding record, generally the rule of thumb is to get a 1st pressing.  Some exceptions to this could be when a audiophile label recuts a record using better equipment and techniques, etc.  But just because a label claims to be an audiophile label doesn't mean it's true.

For investment purposes, generally the more rare the pressing, the more valuable.  But if you are expecting to make a ton of money buying variants, you will probably end up being disappointed.

Thanks, I hadn't even considered how the sound quality might change between pressings. 

I'm not particularly aiming to make money collecting but I am aware that there are better pressings to own so I wanted to try and make good investments - particularly in instances where I'm paying higher prices to begin with to get the things that sold out before I started collecting. 

Do you want them to sound the best? Or do you just care about color?

As I let on a minute ago I was a bit naive about the sound quality being maintained through all presses- new things to consider! haha 

A bit of both I guess-obviously there are colourways that are more appealing or even just match the cover better (I'm veering into OCD territory now) 

I'm looking for opinions on this. 

I'm talking newer releases so the issue of first presses surviving and knocking the numbers back doesn't really apply. 

Would you as a collector go for a first press or a slightly more limited reissue if you could only choose one? 

It's all in what you like really. Many of my records are just whatever press was around when I bought it or whichever I liked the most. I have a couple doubles because I go back to get the rarer/ cooler color that was sold out when I came to it. 

Seems like you like 1st presses, so when it comes to collecting your records, go for it. I only have 1 band who I actively collect 1st presses of and I am 1 LP short of a collection, but I also have other presses of the albums too. It just depends on what you want. If you're solely listening to the records, then just buy whatever you want and play it. If you are actively trying to collect the rarest variant of records, go for it. It'll get costly if you don't stay on your game, but it can be a fun chase. If you are "investing", I advise against it. Good luck.