The National - A Lot of Sorrow - 9LP set

I want to buy this so much, but every time I saw it on my shel I'd wonder, "What the hell was I thinking?"

I actually think it will sell out, but not immediately or anything. A year or so from now one of us will wonder, "Huh, has the price of that National box set gone down?" We'll check the site and they'll all be gone.

It took them months to sell out the deluxe of Trouble Will Find Me, which was cheaper, and a new album of 13 different songs. I really see them struggling to sell many of these.

I just listened to a 3 1/2 minute clip on youtube and I about pulled my hair out. Why would anyone in their right mind buy this and actually listen to it? $150 shelf piece is not for me.

When I first got the email from 4AD I got excited thinking it was a boxset of their albums/live stuff/rarities/whatever and then got sad.

The packaging is so freakin' cool though. This was a great big missed opportunity -_-

I don't even listen to The National but, that ^^^

This is something that would have been cool for them to live stream so those interested could pop-in and out at their leisure. Like when Andrew WK played the drums for 24 hours straight. I sure as shit don't have 6 hours of free time to listen to one song over and over, they should have put this on a 7" with the first play-through on the A side and the last play-through on the B side.

Pretty sure this is rationalized as an art piece rather than a practical record box set.  The idea of a collector's only art box set with proceeds going to charity isn't as ridiculous as the actual original 9 hour performance in a museum.  Art stuff. Etc.

Spot on. MoMA PS1 is the key here.

See also: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/107062-there-will-never-be-silence-scoring-john-cages-433-momamoma-ps1-records/