RSD leftovers I picked up

Three11

Just got bubble mailer from the PO, cause I was in a hurry and knew I wouldn't be able to make it back to the PO in over a week

so you charged $6 to ship what should have cost you $2.37 (that's how much it costs me to mail a 7" with delivery confirmation) and it's going to get destroyed because you put it in a bubble mailer? If you've never bought a 7" so you don't have a 7" mailer you can flip inside out, then 2 pieces of cardboard dude.

I sold all of my extras for cost, but ended up having about $4 leftover after shipping. Sent four items, everyone paid $5, but it came to $15 and some change. Definitely didn't profit considering I used four of my own mailers. Am I terrible? I really hope not.

What I don't get is how it was $6 to ship a 7". I had to put a 7" inside an old throwaway 12" to fill the mailer and it was still barely $4.

pro tip

you can get a few freebies/discounts if you buy your shipping label from paypal.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

Link makes you login.

You need a printer and scale for this to work, correct?

Also this does this work if the purchase is gifted?

Link makes you login.

Printer and scale required, yes.  Look on Amazon for a cheap food scale for under $20.

Dunno about the gifted question.  I don't accept gift orders.  B)

A printer, yes, scale no. You can estimate. Usually a 7" in a mailer is about 7 oz. so if you don't have a scale overestimate it at 10 to be safe. It'll still be about $3.

And yes, it works if you're gifted money. You can use paypal to ship anything. You don't have to be paid through paypal.

And I didn't just toss it in a bubble mailer I wrapped it up. I'm not an idiot. I was a mail carrier for 5 years and have been delivering for UPS for 2 now so I know what they go through... And have a decent idea how shipping works, along with the prices.

You work for UPS and don't have access to a scale?

Link makes you login.

1)  yeah...you have to log in to use Paypal.

2)  You do need to print the label and a scale helps.  Most records in a mailer weigh about 1lb.

3)  Paypal typically tries to tie their shipping labels to a payment transaction, but if you use the direct link you can create simply create a shipping label without needing a payment of any kind.  Example: I just used it to generate a shipping label for a trade transaction.

The paypal method may not be ideal for everybody, but works for me.  I simply print out a label at work, tape to to the mailer and drop it off at the post office without having to wait in line.  Also, it's nice to have all my tracking info in one place.  Plus they discount some of the extras like confirmation. 

ANDDDDD I don't think that you can do media mail online or at a kiosk in the post office, but Paypal does it.

• 10 months later...