PO: Cranberries - No Need To Argue

some ppl have complained that their pressings are poor compared to others. whether it's mastering or what I'm not entirely sure. I think I only have one plain record, the reissued Matthew Sweet Girlfriend album. It sounds fine to me but I've never heard the original press.

I stayed clear of the lemonheads plain shame about ray release when I was looking for it. there is a music on vinyl release I bought instead.

Curious, what is the issue with plain?

I think the bad reputation stems mainly from their My Bloody Valentine reissues, which were licensed from the label but never approved by the band. MBV's Kevin Shields said Plain just ripped the CDs and mastered for vinyl from that. Judging by the few records I own from Plain -- and their sister label, 4 Men With Beards, both owned by Runt -- I don't doubt it at all. (And I'm not really Steve-Hoffman-forums-level picky about sound quality.) The artwork looks blown up, too, like they just scanned a CD booklet.

Of course, they're not the only labels pressing CDs to vinyl, but it doesn't help that they refuse to identify what sources their records are mastered from, both on the packaging and online. It's like they go out of their way to keep people in the dark, just hoping folks will stumble upon their records at the store and take a gamble.

I think the bad reputation stems mainly from their My Bloody Valentine reissues, which were licensed from the label but never approved by the band. MBV's Kevin Shields said Plain just ripped the CDs and mastered for vinyl from that. Judging by the few records I own from Plain -- and their sister label, 4 Men With Beards, both owned by Runt -- I don't doubt it at all. (And I'm not really Steve-Hoffman-forums-level picky about sound quality.) The artwork looks blown up, too, like they just scanned a CD booklet.

Of course, they're not the only labels pressing CDs to vinyl, but it doesn't help that they refuse to identify what sources their records are mastered from, both on the packaging and online. It's like they go out of their way to keep people in the dark, just hoping folks will stumble upon their records at the store and take a gamble.

Their Mr Bungle reissues are also garbage.

EDIT: I didn't know Plain and 4 Men With Beards were connected. Good to know!

• 6 months later...

Reviving as this seems to be available in US now and my local here in Sydney also has Bury the Hatchet listed for pre-order for Jan release. Has anyone picked up No Need to Argue and can comment on quality?

http://www.amoeba.com/no-need-to-argue-180-gram-vinyl-lp-the-cranberries/albums/3668287/

https://midheaven.com/item/no-need-to-argue-by-cranberries-the#.VkWuca4rJmB

http://cranberriesworld.com/bury-the-hatchet-being-reissued-on-180g-vinyl-on-jan-15-2016/

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

2xLP remastered and expanded edition of No Need to Argue is coming out.  It doesn't appear to be a Plain Recordings pressing either which is a plus.    You can still pick up the limited clear version from udiscover.  It comes to like $24 for the record if you use code COMEBACK....and free shipping.

https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/products/the-cranberries-no-need-to-argue-limited-edition-2lp

Here's the description....

Expanded reissue of No Need to Argue – the second studio album by Irish alternative rock band The Cranberries. Originally released in 1994, the album was the band’s highest-selling shifting over 17 million copies worldwide and contains the band’s most successful single Zombie.

The expanded 2LP features the remastered album plus three b-sides, Yesterday’s Gone and the band’s cover of the Carpenters (They long to Be) Close to You.

The 2LP also includes a 5,000-word sleevenote on the history of the album written by the band’s archivist Eoin Devereux who wrote the sleevenote to the reissue of their debut album.