Diiv - Is The Is Are, Coming Fall 2015

There's like one song that channels Sonic Youth. I haven't been able to stop spinning this since it leaked, personally.

Yeah, I mean, that was a pretty small sliver of what I was trying to communicate - I actually dug the sonic youth stuff.

It's kind of like listening to a greatest hits album. All the songs are great and I enjoy them a ton when I'm listening to them, but they don't really feel like an "album" to me, and they don't have the draw of something more focused or purposeful.

That being said I really like the record a lot. I think it's more of a problem that I have with Diiv than it is this record specifically

Listening to the album in its entirety straight through sounds pretty damn alright to me. I can hear what some are feeling at being disjointed and not cohesive, but overall I'm feeling it. It 100% has that early The Cure sound & feel. And I am OK with that. 

This is what the Captured Tracks deluxe edition looks like:

JkhDTtm.jpg

Hate to be the naysayer, but the LPs look kind of -meh. Nothing special and far from the mock ups. I was hoping for more white with colored swirls. Instead, it's basically just translucent and doesn't match the cover like the mockups did. I'm hoping the VMP variant turns out dynamite.

Hate to be the naysayer, but the LPs look kind of -meh. Nothing special and far from the mock ups. I was hoping for more white with colored swirls. Instead, it's basically just translucent and doesn't match the cover like the mockups did. I'm hoping the VMP variant turns out dynamite.

I think the vmp version will look the least like its mock-up. Solid colors in solid colors have a habit of not working.

Exact same thoughts here. Was hoping for more white/clear.

Translucent colored vinyl for life. I know they're considerably different than the mockups, but that's what those photos were – mockups.

Yeah, I get that, but someone screwed up. CT orders a white marble pressing and gets pink and green translucent LPs. I bet they were surprised with the results from the pressing plant. Oh well, time to update the discogs listing. I'm interested to see what the Newbury variant looks like, because that mock up was supposed to be almost identical to this CT version.

Yeah, I get that, but someone screwed up. CT orders a white marble pressing and gets pink and green translucent LPs. I bet they were surprised with the results from the pressing plant. Oh well, time to update the discogs listing. I'm interested to see what the Newbury variant looks like, because that mock up was supposed to be almost identical to this CT version.

I'd assume Newbury will get some sort of yellow and blue translucent records, if their color scheme goes according to plan.  Honestly, I'm surprised that most labels haven't realized that anything with "clear" in the description typically results in translucent records.  I've seen so, so many "clear with red haze" or "blue-clear marble" records turn out to be translucent red and blue vinyl, respectively.

I dunno about you guys but that's what clear with white marble looks like in my head. I wasn't expecting the streak colors to mix but oh well, I bet it looks pretty cool in hand. That isn't even a good photo of them anyways.

this

let's just be thankful CT actually did a nice mix color instead of something stupid like white for Wild Nothing

I dunno about you guys but that's what clear with white marble looks like in my head. I wasn't expecting the streak colors to mix but oh well, I bet it looks pretty cool in hand. That isn't even a good photo of them anyways.

Yup.

this

let's just be thankful CT actually did a nice mix color instead of something stupid like white for Wild Nothing

Also yup.

They could've easily tried to go with just white or something, with that cover.  I think most people are expecting a solid white base with colored streaking or something, which I'm very glad they avoided.  It's whatever – I can't wait to see it in person, and all of those extra look like they'll be worth sitting down with.