OUT NOW: Refused - Freedom

I'm not trying to come in here and piss people off with my opinion, but this thing is a bit of a turd. I wasn't expecting much, and I didn't get much in return. Oh well.

It's bad. Feel no shame in proclaiming the truth.

After spending a little bit of time with the record and avoiding knee-jerk reactions, I've got to say that it's an extremely goofy release.  I went into it expecting nothing of SOPTC-caliber, but even then I wasn't really prepared.  I feel like the album tries a little too hard to be too many things at once.  SOPTC was innovative at its time, sure, and I have no doubt that the bits of hardcore, techno, jazz, and everything else probably raised a few brows in 1998.  But my brows are raised for entirely different reasons, this time around.

There are maybe 2-3 moments on the entire album that resemble "classic" Refused - at least to my ears - and way too much funk and "stadium rock" production.  It's basically an abrasive pop record.  The hooks are catchy enough that they'll win over a large audience, which is perfect for the oversized stadiums where these songs were (almost) obviously meant to be played.  I won't be paying $80 to watch Refused play singles from this album through a pair of binoculars, but to each his own.

I don't absolutely hate the record, but there are still too many songs that are too forgettable to me.  At least for the time being.  Elektra is a pretty solid jam, and there are a few parts of other tracks that caught my attention – though, evidently, not enough to exclaim holy shit! while eagerly checking the titles to make a note of them.  Regrettably, the songs that do stand out happen to do so for all the wrong reasons.  The fucking awful, brass, swingy chorus of War on the Palaces is bad.  Really bad.  I looked in disgust and disappointment at my car's stereo deck when I first heard it.

Which reminds me; I've tried this album out in a few different settings.  Focused, with headphones.  Blared loudly while driving fast.  Over quality speakers, in the background.  None of it really allows the album to shine.  The parts of the record that are horrendous - like that goddamn wonky bass line in Françafrique (ft. Flea) - are so obnoxiously cheesy that it either kills the mood or distracts me.

I can't say I'm absolutely disappointed with the record, because I didn't really go into it with high expectations.  I ordered a clear copy from Bull Moose and that gold-swirl from overseas.  Will probably end up selling one of them at cost, immediately, if anyone's interested.  Will hold onto the other because I'm not opposed to seeing if it'll grow on me.  At this point, I have my doubts - due largely to Shellback's corny hooks and questionable funk output from the band - but alas.  Stranger things have happened.

Didn't dislike this enough to immediately cancel my order, but my socks were not blown off either.  Going to give it another listen today or tomorrow and make a decision.  I'm just not sure if this is something that I'd listen to that often.  I have a feeling every time I went to pull it off my shelf, I'd just end up grabbing SOPTK instead.

I read their article in decibel a couple days ago and a couple things stood out that kinda makes sense as to the albums incohesiveness. Songs were written and essentially recorded years apart, they didn't record this record in one session. Also working with different producers has shown to create wildly different songs.

While the whole thing isn't a front to back ripper, there are a few songs that stand out and I think we all agree as to which ones we all like are. 

I read their article in decibel a couple days ago and a couple things stood out that kinda makes sense as to the albums incohesiveness. Songs were written and essentially recorded years apart, they didn't record this record in one session. Also working with different producers has shown to create wildly different songs.

While the whole thing isn't a front to back ripper, there are a few songs that stand out and I think we all agree as to which ones we all like are.

were all the songs written since reunion?

I recieved my black/gold preorder today, which I'm not too excited about to be totally honest. Nonetheless a big shout out to KRM, packaging was as sturdy as it gets and everything is in pristine condition. They also wrote a lovely note on the package (I had it shipped to the record store I'm working at, which is called Blitz Records).

97529c00ed33b5f0b3600151c4b1be4e_zpsrehm