There should be a library - for records

So... this is me just kind of venting a little bit. Haha, but I think it would be an awesome idea if somehow we could create a thing where people can rent records, to enable people to listen to music that isn't available to buy.

There are a shit-ton of albums I want to listen to on vinyl, but can't. Because bands only release 350 copies, and then people fucking buy multiple copies of those releases, and hoard them. And then when they do decide to part ways with them, they gouge the fuck out of people and profit more than the band did. I get the collector thing, but for someone who actually wants to partake in the vinyl experience, it's fucking frustrating.

This thread is mainly inspired by the fact that you cannot find copies of two of Rosetta's albums, "A Determinism of Morality" and "Wake/Lift" anywhere. At all. Even for batshit crazy prices!!!

And someone here posted a picture of their Rosetta collection, where they had every edition of all their records... and I was like "I fucking hate you, guy." lol Because I'm sure that dude isn't even fucking listening to the albums!!! Arrrgh!!!!

I know this isn't feasible but I often imagine pitching that to someone like that dude... saying "Hey, can I rent one of those copies of Wake/Lift for a month?"

Anybody else ever feel this frustrated?

That would be okay, but I feel like it would be more awesome if there were a library for books. There are so many things I want to read, but I'm just never willing to pay the bookogs.com prices for some of them.

I once saw a guy that had like seven copies of the old man and the sea, and I was like "fuck you guy " lol because I'm sure that dude isn't reading every copy of that book!!! Arrrrrgh!!!!

lol you guys.

The point of the satirical post is that I'm frustrated because I want to listen to these records on vinyl because we all know how much better vinyl sounds.

Those Rosetta albums show up on my want list emails form Discogs at least 2-3 times a month. The prices are usually batshit crazy, though.

The records, don't. Unless they're grabbed before I'm able to see the notification. But I'm on that site just about every day haha.

I usually use www.youtube.com or www.google.com to listen to stuff I can't on vinyl.

I think that'll work just fine for the time being.

For falling-asleep listening this suffices, but records give you such a more rich, visceral experience.

It blew me away how much better Wavering Radiant by Isis sounded when I finally was able to listen to it on vinyl; the sound fucking explodes out of the speakers. Its like looking at a wall straight sober vs. looking at a wall on mushrooms.

That would be okay, but I feel like it would be more awesome if there were a library for books. There are so many things I want to read, but I'm just never willing to pay the bookogs.com prices for some of them.

lol @ bookogs

lol you guys.

The point of the satirical post is that I'm frustrated because I want to listen to these records on vinyl because we all know how much better vinyl sounds.

I...don't think you know what satire is.

WWF aside....this was a thing for many many many years. So many to the point that the NY library had to sell a shit ton of records:

http://www.spin.com/2013/08/new-york-public-library-selling-22000-vinyl-records/

vinyl was the original physical medium, so when you go into any library now and see shelves of CDs, that idea stemmed from when vinyl records existed (!). history is amazing no? No reason they would spend so much money on exclusive rare things only to lend them out to the general public, like a copy of The Tales of Beetle the Bard or something <-- I love JK Rowling

EDIT: Also this:

https://www.facebook.com/TheVinylLibrary