There should be a library - for records

The last thing I want is to listen to a borrowed record that's already been handled by another filthy record collector.

Its like looking at a wall straight sober vs. looking at a wall on mushrooms.

Why not find mp3 copies of the albums you are looking for and just take mushrooms while listening to them?

There are thousands of record libraries...they're called record stores. Stop being so cheap and go buy records...

I WOULD IF I COULD! THAT'S THE FUCKING POINT, GUY!

Ass-tons of records I want to own, so that I can listen to them, but the there are no copies for sale. And if there are, like Oceansize - Effloresce, they are going for $300, which is a fuck-you price.

The idea of rare music is so retarded. Music is to be heard.

You wanna do the collector thing, sure... make the super cool swirls and colors limited. Totally fine. But why not keep a regular black copy in print so that the new people who want to hear this stuff are able to do so? It's just a frustrating concept.

Ass-tons of records I want to own, so that I can listen to them, but the there are no copies for sale. And if there are, like Oceansize - Effloresce, they are going for $300, which is a fuck-you price.

You wanna do the collector thing, sure... make the super cool swirls and colors limited. Totally fine. But why not keep a regular black copy in print so that the new people who want to hear this stuff are able to do so? It's just a frustrating concept.

Go back to your Phish board you ass.

Seriously, dude. I was willing to indulge you for a minute with this ridiculous fucking thread, but get your head out of your ass. You're a 29 year old adult. Don't use words like retarded.

Get a fucking job and buy a record if you want it, just like everyone else around here. Oh, and maybe try to stop being such a piece of shit.

lol dude, relax. Quite obviously there is no way to actually do this...

You're missing the whole point, again, of me venting with this hypothetical thing: there are records that I would buy, but they aren't for sale anywhere! The idea is an absurdist solution to the problem of certain albums being not widely available to those who want to own them.

Fair point on the r-word... fine.

No need to try to insult me and insinuate I'm some half-baked rookie at this who is giddy because he bought his first Record Store Day special.

I buy vinyl because the music sounds fucking amazing on it. I just got Caspian's "You Are The Conductor" in the mail the other day, and I was FLOORED by how fucking sick the production and mastering is on it. Probably my new favorite-sounding record, next to Wavering Radiant by Isis.

Also my If These Trees Could Talk represses just came in today too.

Do you have a copy of Wake/Lift and A Determinism of Morality? Because then that would solve this problem!

tumblr_majsk8VPXG1rq4no1o1_250.gif    tumblr_majsk8VPXG1rq4no1o2_250.gif    tumblr_majsk8VPXG1rq4no1o4_250.gif

Welcome to the Layer Cake, Son

They should make jackets for records.  Like how we wear jackets to protect our bodies from the elements (earth, wind, fire and rain).  But these would be smaller and they would protect records from the elements (dust, lint, static, and finger prints).  We can call them "record coats".

I buy vinyl because the music sounds fucking amazing on it

Haha, I have a Stanton T.62 with a BBE Phono preamp that goes into an older Pioneer receiver. My speakers right now are just some generic Panasonic ones from a surround-sound system I had in high school; they have good bass response though so they're sufficing for now.

ksyvx.jpg

The Internet, man.

We do live in an age where literally endless streams of music are available online at no cost, put there purely to be listened to. Just cos you can't buy the vinyl doesn't mean you can never hear the music. Spotify, YouTube etc. unless you're trying to find some release that was pressed in a batch of 10 only that exists nowhere else to be listened to - in which case, fuck that release, there are 100% definitely better albums to spend your time on.

Thanks for that I didn't know it was so valuable. I'm scared to play mine now so I'll have to lock it in the safe with all my other super special precious records.

I preferred my blissful ignorance

Thanks for that I didn't know it was so valuable. I'm scared to play mine now so I'll have to lock it in the safe with all my other super special precious records.

I preferred my blissful ignorance

Yeah, my girlfriend found her copy for about £50 or something a couple of years back. Isn't that half the fun of collecting - searching for stuff, taking the time to dig? Instead of just being a Discogs Jockey?

Yeah, my girlfriend found her copy for about £50 or something a couple of years back. Isn't that half the fun of collecting - searching for stuff, taking the time to dig? Instead of just being a Discogs Jockey?

I was being a little sarcastic as I've seen this with a few albums I bought around this time yes I bought mine when it was released for probably £15 or something so to see the prices being asked for it is quite a shock. If the record company are greedy then queue an RSD 2106 re press on coloured vinyl.

The value now isn't really relevant to me as I like the album and yes to me the search is a lot of the fun, just buying something on Discogs or ebay is just too easy but I do see why people do it as they just convince themselves they really really really must have that record and the CD for £1 just won't do

The Internet, man.

We do live in an age where literally endless streams of music are available online at no cost, put there purely to be listened to. Just cos you can't buy the vinyl doesn't mean you can never hear the music. Spotify, YouTube etc. unless you're trying to find some release that was pressed in a batch of 10 only that exists nowhere else to be listened to - in which case, fuck that release, there are 100% definitely better albums to spend your time on.

Listening to the stuff on a computer or mp3 player with earbuds is less-than-satisfying when you know that you're missing out on a more richly-detailed experience.

Things pop out in the mix more on vinyl, and the music is so much more spatial and full.

I was being a little sarcastic as I've seen this with a few albums I bought around this time yes I bought mine when it was released for probably £15 or something so to see the prices being asked for it is quite a shock. If the record company are greedy then queue an RSD 2106 re press on coloured vinyl.

The value now isn't really relevant to me as I like the album and yes to me the search is a lot of the fun, just buying something on Discogs or ebay is just too easy but I do see why people do it as they just convince themselves they really really really must have that record and the CD for £1 just won't do

I've talked to the band about it; the band wants it done, but the label won't do it. I don't get why labels are like that. Just fucking repress it, sell more copies.

Unless it really is about some ego-driven thing to make a more collectible item and see who sells out the fastest, rather than it being about "Holy shit, listen to this AMAZING music!" In which case, why not just release only 1 copy and be done? That way it exists, and you can say you pressed it, but nobody else can ever have it?

I'll say it again... Theres no way this hypothetical library for records would have rare albums like that

The point of my hypothetical was to allow for people who want to hear this things on vinyl the ability to do so. Maybe the label presses 300 to sell, and 300 to be put into a circulation thing where you can only rent them, and then have to return them.

Its a fantasy lol, stop analyzing it so much!