90s Canadian Alternative/CanRock on Vinyl Thread

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, danyc said:

Anyone get their Big Wreck yet, that can speak to the quality of it? The first and only review I've read was on discogs and it was not kind, so a bit worried now. 

I've received yet haven't listened.  That said I'm not nearly as critical as some of these audiophile types.  

On 1/22/2018 at 1:32 PM, danyc said:

Anyone get their Big Wreck yet, that can speak to the quality of it? The first and only review I've read was on discogs and it was not kind, so a bit worried now. 

Listening now. Is it the most dynamic sounding record? Probably not, but it sounds pretty good to me.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is some good shit. Think first album Caribou meets Bromst-era Dan Deacon. Really glad it's on vinyl. Highly recommendedRF-MockUp-Opt1-Feb21_2048x@2x.jpg

https://shop.paperbagrecords.com/collections/vintage-collection/products/lets-get-ready-to-crumble

Paper Bag Vintage is thrilled to announce the reissue of The Russian Futurists acclaimed album, Let's Get Ready To Crumble, on April 27, 2018! Limited edition, numbered out of 300 and on navy vinyl! The Russian Futurists (aka one-man indie pop orchestra Matthew Adam Hart) make lo-fi bedroom recording into an art form. Hart, who hails from eastern Ontario, Canada, drew rave reviews, as well as comparisons to Magnetic Fields and the Flaming Lips, for his 2001 debut album, The Method of Modern Love, and won fans such as R.E.M.'s Peter Buck and Blur guitarist Graham Coxon in the process. Hart's ability to make the cheapest production quality sound lush and expansive was put to the test on 2003's Let's Get Ready to Crumble, which he recorded for less than $100. Though the Russian Futurists remained a one-man affair in the studio/bedroom, Hart fleshed out the project into a full touring band in 2004, playing dates in the U.S., Spain, and Canada, including the Primavera Sound and Pop Montreal festivals. Hart finished the third Russian Futurists album, Our Thickness, late that year. It was released in spring 2005 by Upper Class Records. Despite a steady growth in popularity, these albums were not released outside of North America, so the decision was taken to pick the most successful tracks from all three and compile them into one collection, Me, Myself and Rye, released in August 2006 by the U.K. label Memphis Industries. After a long hiatus, Hart returned with the album The Weight's on the Wheels in November of 2010.

Track Listing:

1. Let's Get Ready To Crumble
  2. When The Sun Drops Like An Anvil
  3. Precious Metals
  4. The Matador's Theme
  5. A Telegram From The Future 
  6. It's Actually Going To Happen
  7. You Dot, Me Dot, T-Dot
  8. It's Not Really Cold When It Snows
  9. The Plight Of The Flightless Bird
  10. Your Life On Magnetic Tape

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SNEAKORDS said:

Someone really needs to get on pressing Transistor Sound & Lighting Co.’s only album. Criminally slept on Canadian 90s indie rock record.

Sounds like something Paper Bag or Dine Alone needs to do.

Really nice. Sounds like a band that Graham Coxon of Blur would have signed up to his Transcopic Records label back in the late 90s. Definitely worthy of a remaster/repress,

Yeah, this is a criminally underrated album. The drummer went on to do sound engineering for Broken Social Scene.

I remember hearing "Anyways/Mayonnaise" on the radio here and then seeing the video on Much. I really liked it and ended up borrowing the album from the public library of all places.

On 3/14/2018 at 12:44 PM, aopps42 said:

Keep hoping to see something about a vinyl press of Happiness is Not a Fish that You Can Catch.  I wonder what the hold up is.  Seems strange that they would do everything else but not that album.

Same, what is the deal with that one. Very odd to be the only one not released, must be something about 1 specific license or some other legal reason. Or just for whatever reason they have been working on it and haven’t got it mastered or something to the point where it’s ready.

On 2018-03-29 at 4:08 PM, NationallyFrightened said:

Same, what is the deal with that one. Very odd to be the only one not released, must be something about 1 specific license or some other legal reason. Or just for whatever reason they have been working on it and haven’t got it mastered or something to the point where it’s ready.

Possibly waiting for the 20th Anniversary next year? I also agree it's probably overcompressed like all Corporate Rock Albums of that era were so I would hope they're remastering it.

16 hours ago, TheCowboyPoet said:

Anyone get their Sloan preorders from Yep Rock yet? I got an e-mail saying it had shipped on March 21st but the tracking has just been sitting on "label created".

Ditto, Kind of annoying since lots of people (I'm assuming US) already got theirs around that time. They're selling the orange on the tour right now though, so you can pick one up if you're going to one of the shows.

The new pressings of Matthew Good's Avalanche (black and white vinyl options), The Audio of Being and Lo-Fi B-Sides/Loser Anthems are now up in his store and on MusicVaultz (Universal Music's official shop).

Free shipping from MusicVaultz over $50, but they don't seem to have the white vinyl version of Avalanche.

And Matthew Good's webstore is currently sold out of The Audio of Being.

https://matthewgood.store-08.com/

https://shop.musicvaultz.com/search.html?term=Matthew+Good (use code VAULTZ or WELCOME for 15% off)

Edited by fondfarewell