90s Canadian Alternative/CanRock on Vinyl Thread

Rotate's used section gives me a headache sometimes. Wish they were move active in removing pieces that have been sitting for months as I feel I often sift through the same crap over and over. 

Sadly, Sonic is within walking distance of work and gets a ton of my business, even though they are generally overpriced. Their used section is perfect for a quick drop-in as they move it into their regular bins on a weekly basis. I need to spend the effort and get out to June as that sounds like a ringing endorsement.

Back on topic... I'd love if someone would be nice enough to press Econoline Crush's The Devil You Know. Never been on vinyl. One of my favourite CanRock 90's record. 

Yeah, Rotate is still my favourite in the city, but their used section is getting messy. Last time I was there, they had a bunch of new used arrivals in milk crates on the floor by the cash register. My knees started to hurt after about the sixth crate. They do put some of the more collectible stuff up on the walls, though (plus they don't gouge as much as Sonic Boom).

Sonic Boom's used bin at the front has better movement, but their collector wall is nuts with the prices they're asking.

I've wished for years that Rotate would introduce a new arrivals section. It's annoying, but I owe a huge chunk of my best records to them, so whatever. Pierre has been nice to me since I was a kid.

Criminal Records was alright, but I've heard dealing with them on a business level was highly problematic toward the end.

Sonic Boom was better when the 45s were hidden in the back corner on Bloor. Gems galore. Now they rarely beat Discogs.

On topic aside: when is Clayton Park getting pressed already? Christ.

I've wished for years that Rotate would introduce a new arrivals section. It's annoying, but I owe a huge chunk of my best records to them, so whatever. Pierre has been nice to me since I was a kid.

Criminal Records was alright, but I've heard dealing with them on a business level was highly problematic toward the end.

Sonic Boom was better when the 45s were hidden in the back corner on Bloor. Gems galore. Now they rarely beat Discogs.

On topic aside: when is Clayton Park getting pressed already? Christ.

Rotate does have a new arrivals section. It's on the other side of the cash register where the regular section begins. They also put up a lot of new releases on the wall across from the register.

I actually interviewed for a job at Criminal Records once, but they were younger than me and didn't seem as focused on the important stuff. 

My local in Kitchener doesn't have a New (used) Arrivals bin either but they tend to put all new used stuff at the front of the sections so you don't have to flip through everything. So new A-B records are at the front, flip through till you get to the stuff you saw last week then move on to C-D... repeat.

My local in Kitchener doesn't have a New (used) Arrivals bin either but they tend to put all new used stuff at the front of the sections so you don't have to flip through everything. So new A-B records are at the front, flip through till you get to the stuff you saw last week then move on to C-D... repeat.

Encore?

Sonic Boom's used bin at the front has better movement, but their collector wall is nuts with the prices they're asking.

Seriously... it's terribad. As fondfarewell mentioned, it seems they base their prices solely on discogs with a bit of a Canadian bump. Sadly, it's still the only store within walking distance at lunch so I usually end up with a couple used records a week from there... they seem to get a bunch of newer stuff on the regular which is where my general focus is. That being said, never look at the wall, it will make your brain hurt with how much they are charging for some of the rarer pieces. 

Also voltage_drop, I heard that those crates had some great finds at Rotate... coworker said there were a ton of rarities and could of easily spent $1000.

I meant for used stuff. I always feel compelled to flip through the whole damn section. Not sure if that's the point. It's probably just that they couldn't be bothered.

They've started to put new used stuff in milk crates on the floor across from the cash register. 

Seriously... it's terribad. As fondfarewell mentioned, it seems they base their prices solely on discogs with a bit of a Canadian bump. Sadly, it's still the only store within walking distance at lunch so I usually end up with a couple used records a week from there... they seem to get a bunch of newer stuff on the regular which is where my general focus is. That being said, never look at the wall, it will make your brain hurt with how much they are charging for some of the rarer pieces. 

Also voltage_drop, I heard that those crates had some great finds at Rotate... coworker said there were a ton of rarities and could of easily spent $1000.

The crazy part is that eventually most of the stuff sells. I tried selling some rare stuff there and I wasn't impressed with the money they offered or how they handled my records (they returned them with inserts missing that they carelessly dropped on the floor and without the outer sleeves). I'm lucky I actually noticed and called them out on it. 

Tiny Record Shop gets most of my business for rare stuff now. The prices aren't any better, but at least I know Trevor brings all his stuff back from overseas personally.

The new used crates at Rotate are actually quite well-stocked. I was surprised with a few things I found in there, but nothing I was specifically looking for, so I left stuff there for others who would want it more. I wouldn't say there's a ton of rarities, but definitely better stuff than what usually languishes in the regular used shelves.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my Amazon.ca shipping notice for the full set of Matthew Good re-releases. Came out to CAD$200 with default UPS shipping to the U.S. Expensive, but not terrible. Hopefully the quality reflects the premium price.

That's only like $15CAD more than the free domestic shipping within Canada. Not bad for four 2LP's and a single LP.

I'm waiting to see the prices in local shops before I finalize anything with Amazon. I was hoping they might be closer to $30 in stores but it's not looking good.

I was listening to my old Raygun CD tonight and I forgot how much I love some of those tunes.

That's only like $15CAD more than the free domestic shipping within Canada. Not bad for four 2LP's and a single LP.

I'm waiting to see the prices in local shops before I finalize anything with Amazon. I was hoping they might be closer to $30 in stores but it's not looking good.

I was listening to my old Raygun CD tonight and I forgot how much I love some of those tunes.

I was thinking of doing the same thing. But I just bit the bullet because I don't want to miss them. I bet they go down a bit if they don't sell as well...

Edit: the $20 promo credit helped too. With taxes, I paid under $35 each for Beautiful Midnight and Underdogs

My thoughts: buy copies via Amazon, hold onto them sealed (if you can resist) for a couple of weeks, do a quick scan of prices in the city, and return them to Amazon if you can find them cheaper elsewhere?  I don't know when I'll be in a record store next, but if I see prices, I will gladly share.

My thoughts: buy copies via Amazon, hold onto them sealed (if you can resist) for a couple of weeks, do a quick scan of prices in the city, and return them to Amazon if you can find them cheaper elsewhere? I don't know when I'll be in a record store next, but if I see prices, I will gladly share.

Maybe that's what I'll do. Let's see how strong my willpower is!

Do the MGB albums have lyrics sheets or printed inner sleeves or anything? They could've done something cool with the artwork from the old CD liner notes of Beautiful Midnight.

I'm still waiting to scout prices at some local stores before picking these up. In the meantime I've loaded the MGB albums (and all kinds of 90's Can-rock) onto my phone to listen to at work. Reminded me how much I like the first Limblifter album too.

Do the MGB albums have lyrics sheets or printed inner sleeves or anything? They could've done something cool with the artwork from the old CD liner notes of Beautiful Midnight.

Nothing at all. Double LPs are gatefold. Jackets are otherwise standard. No inserts. Definite missed opportunity.

I'm still waiting to scout prices at some local stores before picking these up. In the meantime I've loaded the MGB albums (and all kinds of 90's Can-rock) onto my phone to listen to at work. Reminded me how much I like the first Limblifter album too.

You can get both the first Limblifter record with their latest one right now for $20: https://we-are-busy-bodies.myshopify.com/products/limblifter-lp-sale