90s Canadian Alternative/CanRock on Vinyl Thread

Blue Rodeo are releasing a few older albums including one of my favourite albums of all time Five Days in July for the first time ever on vinyl. You can order here:

http://store.bluerodeo.com/fall-2015-releases

!!!!

I've been waiting for Five Days in July on vinyl since I was a teenager. Awesome news.

Sidenote: I don't really understand the bundle. It just adds a non-exclusive Electrohome carrying case you could buy separately for $5 cheaper on Amazon. Seems like a missed opportunity for something limited and unique.

As if these are in USD?  Way too pricey.

Seriously....those prices are crazy. Looks like they're way more reasonable on Amazon.ca, which leads me to believe you may be able to get them at record stores for at very least, better prices than what the BR website is selling them for:

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=blue+rodeo+vinyl 

What's funny is that you can get Outskirts and Diamond Mine for $5 or so on Discogs or most record stores with a half-decent used section, since both were widely released in Canada on vinyl.

Seriously....those prices are crazy. Looks like they're way more reasonable on Amazon.ca, which leads me to believe you may be able to get them at record stores for at very least, better prices than what the BR website is selling them for:

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=blue+rodeo+vinyl

What's funny is that you can get Outskirts and Diamond Mine for $5 or so on Discogs or most record stores with a half-decent used section, since both were widely released in Canada on vinyl.

Did the prices on Amazon go up? They look to be about the same after exchange, and more for Massey Hall.

US$30 for a double LP is expensive but not unusual. The shipping kind of sucks though.

• 2 months later...

This is the best vinyl related news I've heard in a while.... What am I to expect? Obviously Beautiful Midnight and Hospital Music from the pic in his website. I can only assume Avalanche and Underdogs. I would love the Audio of Being. Will it include LOTGA? Raygun? Loser Anthems? WLRRR? I don't imagine it will be everything... If also love the acoustic part of In A Coma...

Preorders for the Matthew Good/MGB reissues are up on his webstore and Amazon.ca for Last of The Ghetto Astronauts, Raygun, Underdogs, Beautiful Midnight and Hospital Music (with "More Matthew Good Vinyl Reissues Coming in 2016"):

http://www.matthewgood.org/news/2015/12/7/five-remastered-records-to-be-released-on-vinyl

Pricey stuff--around $150 shipped to the U.S. for the full set. USD price is (currently) slightly cheaper through Amazon, and with preorder price guarantee, it might be the better option for U.S. buyers.

Also, the webstore has a "colour" option for these (currently limited to black), which makes me a bit concerned they might be planning coloured versions in the future to get the variant collectors to double up. If so, pretty lame. 

Why is Hospital Music being released in this group? Seems odd... Anyways preordered all!

My only guess is that Avalanche/White Light are also slated for release, but maybe there were issues with the test presses (or perhaps they are subject to different rights arrangements) that have caused these to be pushed back.

Beyond those two, I would honestly be surprised if anything else gets released, since the reason the Massey Hall vinyl release was canned (cost-prohibitive) remains true and he hates The Audio of Being (or used to, anyway).

This actually deserves its own thread!

Agreed!

Gonna definitely wait for Avalanche as I passed on an OG copy for ~$200 a few months back and I'm happy I did. Will wait to see the future price of Underdogs and Beautiful Midnight... hope to grab them closer to $20 but I doubt that will happen given the current prices of represses. 

For everyone waiting for prices to drop--be somewhat cautious about waiting too long.

If recent Matt Good solo albums are any indication, these might not be pressed in huge numbers and might not be kept in print (try finding "Arrows of Desire" for a decent price).

I tend to agree with this. Matt isn't in the business of losing money. Luckily I'm in TO so I'll be checking to see what my indie shop can get this for... although it will probably be around the .ca price. 

I tend to agree with this. Matt isn't in the business of losing money. Luckily I'm in TO so I'll be checking to see what my indie shop can get this for... although it will probably be around the .ca price.

I've been finding that June Records generally has the best prices on new stuff lately. Rotate sometimes does but their inventory is a crapshoot.

I've been finding that June Records generally has the best prices on new stuff lately. Rotate sometimes does but their inventory is a crapshoot.

Rotate's used section gives me a headache sometimes. Wish they were move active in removing pieces that have been sitting for months as I feel I often sift through the same crap over and over. 

Sadly, Sonic is within walking distance of work and gets a ton of my business, even though they are generally overpriced. Their used section is perfect for a quick drop-in as they move it into their regular bins on a weekly basis. I need to spend the effort and get out to June as that sounds like a ringing endorsement.

Back on topic... I'd love if someone would be nice enough to press Econoline Crush's The Devil You Know. Never been on vinyl. One of my favourite CanRock 90's record. 

I still miss Criminal Records. They were by far the best price.

Agreed. With the nicest staff too.

And on topic, I definitely saw a signed Econoline Crush record go by at Sonic not too long ago. Was probably Affliction. It's so funny what from the 90s is pressed and what isn't.