90s Canadian Alternative/CanRock on Vinyl Thread

Yeah I got Underdogs and Beautiful Midnight the other day. While I wasn't overly impressed with the packaging especially for the price. the albums actually sound really good.

Reminds me of the recent press of Tragically Hips Fully Completely. Probably the worst jacket (flimsy and not great) but at least good quality vinyl and was remastered

Dont understand the whining going in here. Yes, it is a little pricey, but the quality is great. On par with his other vinyl releases. I'm sure if this was released as a "limited" press, there would be little to no complaining. It sounds great. Looking forward to avalanche and loser anthems!

Dont understand the whining going in here. Yes, it is a little pricey, but the quality is great. On par with his other vinyl releases. I'm sure if this was released as a "limited" press, there would be little to no complaining. It sounds great. Looking forward to avalanche and loser anthems!

So it actually sounds like you do understand why there is a little fuss around the price ;)

For a 2xLP at 150g, non-gatefold, distributed in Canada, non-limited set; $40+tax a pop is a little steep (but hey, it's Matt good so no surprise at the price).

I'm starting to accept that $30-$40 is going to be the standard price for a 2xLP album going forward, but I can see why others see this as a little pricey. 

Anyone else have seriously bad surface noise on "99% of Us Is Failure" on Hospital Music?

Only one I've had an issue with and wondering whether it's my copy or a defect.

That's intentional. You'll hear a loop of repeating static on the digital version as well.

Do you or anyone else have a problem where 99% of Us is Failure jumps after the verse "pace and wait for it"? That's definitely not on the digital version. Also, my copy seems to slow down momentarily on A Single Explosion. I'm thinking I need to issue an exchange with Amazon. Those issues aside, it's a good sounding remaster.

I bought Beautiful Midnight and Underdogs as well, but have yet to listen to them. Hopefully they won't have similar issues.

Yup, 99% has always had that effect overlayed. I haven't listened to it on vinyl yet, but I'd assume that's what you're catching.

One other flag related to these vinyl, apparently LOTGA is missing "Omissions of the Omen", which was a hidden track on the album and one of the best songs. Matt didn't know it was left off and is pretty pissed about it. Not sure if they're going to correct that in the future, but it might be a difference maker to some people on here.

Do you or anyone else have a problem where 99% of Us is Failure jumps after the verse "pace and wait for it"? That's definitely not on the digital version. Also, my copy seems to slow down momentarily on A Single Explosion. I'm thinking I need to issue an exchange with Amazon. Those issues aside, it's a good sounding remaster.

Turns out I'm not the only one. Although based on their Instagram video, it just gets stuck and flat out repeats. Maybe it's because of their stylus though.

That's intentional. You'll hear a loop of repeating static on the digital version as well.

I bought Beautiful Midnight and Underdogs as well, but have yet to listen to them. Hopefully they won't have similar issues.

I'll have to listen again for that jump, but I don't think so. Does your stylus physically jump? If so, consider increasing tracking force and see if that helps.

Very interesting that the looping static is on the digital version too. I dug out my CD as soon as I heard it on the vinyl and did not pick it up at all on the CD. I thought it had to be intentional because it cuts out right as "Born Losers" starts, and also doesn't occur in line with the record's rotation. But the CD was completely clean. Maybe this was added sometime after the original CD?? Seems so strange. I'm probably just crazy.

Edit: yup, listened to the CD again on headphones and there it is.

Beautiful Midnight and Underdogs (and the others) sound great.

I listened again and hear this too. My needle tracks through it but it's definitely a pressing defect.

Balls. Someone on the NearFantastica forum noted it as well and their replacement copy has the issue. 

Looking at the back cover of the re-issues, I guess either Univeral Music Canada or MusicVaultz would be the folks of interest to contact about the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

You can now pre-order Hayden's 20th anniversary edition of Everything I Long For. It is a limited White 2LP version of the complete album (the 1996 1LP version omitted a few tracks), with 5 bonus demo/outtake tracks.

$30CAD plus shipping.

Available April 1

Amazing. This needs its own thread!

Gotta wave the flag for more represses from The Tea Party, some of which were never pressed to vinyl to begin with, such as Triptych ('99) or The Interzone Mantras ('01).

Past those two, I'd happily buy Rainbow Butt Monkeys - Letters from Chutney ('95) if it ever was pressed to vinyl. Snowballs chance in the Northwest Territories of that though. That band went on to become Finger Eleven, fwiw.

Gotta wave the flag for more represses from The Tea Party, some of which were never pressed to vinyl to begin with, such as Triptych ('99) or The Interzone Mantras ('01).

Past those two, I'd happily buy Rainbow Butt Monkeys - Letters from Chutney ('95) if it ever was pressed to vinyl. Snowballs chance in the Northwest Territories of that though. That band went on to become Finger Eleven, fwiw.

I'd be all over those tea party, but it would be nice if they'd do a little more for the package than they did for edges. Don't get me wrong, it sounds amazing, but packaging and extras are lacking.