DEFTONES- GORE (OUT NOW)

Not vinyl. Digital. This is the highest quality mastering straight from the studio that is used usually for pressing vinyl. More dynamic range. They're usually uncompressed files and the highest quality. Not compressed or mastered down for iTunes or anything else.

These haven't been released before except for KNY I think. I don't think earlier albums were pressed with 24bit masters either.

tumblr_nqxqqkliKT1rhpfpno6_500.png

Really disappointed that none of the vinyl came with digital downloads. Hate having to buy an album twice. 

WB is slacking if there isnt a physical code card. I dont see why they would only offer a digital download link if you order from their webstore. You could always try emailing them with a proof of purchase and see if theyll give you a download.

I fucking love this album. Chino is in amazing voice and these may be some of my favorite contributions from Frank Delgado. Probably has fewer hallmarks of Stephen Carpenter's guitar playing than most of their albums...the ones that are there really stand out.

There were even a few songs I didn't like at first that just came together by the end. If you don't like it at first, give it a chance, and a little time to grow on you.

Uh holy shit they added new stuff to the remasters? Im just now listening to the ones I bought but so far Pink Maggit has some kind of doctor talking at the end? Other people are saying Hole in the Earth is different too.

All of these sound great so far and im hearing a lot of stuff ive never picked up before.

Edit: Passenger has a new vocal segment at the end too. So good!

Just got through my first listen.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.  Too soft and melodic for my tastes.  Doesn't really feel like a Deftones record to me.  I can see why Stephen had less interest in playing / writing on this record given the direction the songs took.  At the moment, I doubt I'll ever listen to this record again and would have no interest in hearing any of those new songs live.

That's pretty savage / narrow-minded for one listen, but to each his own I guess. I hear a lot of good things going on in this record and I suspect it'll only grow better with a bit more time and additional plays.

I get what you're saying, it's just not what I like in music right now.  Will I like this record more one day?  Maybe, who knows, that's the mystery of music.  For now, I lean more towards heavier guitar / music, and this just doesn't have much of it.  I also really don't like the production for some reason.  It's just my opinion, if other people love the record, great, it's just not for me right now.

I get what you're saying, it's just not what I like in music right now. Will I like this record more one day? Maybe, who knows, that's the mystery of music. For now, I lean more towards heavier guitar / music, and this just doesn't have much of it. I also really don't like the production for some reason. It's just my opinion, if other people love the record, great, it's just not for me right now.

That's fair enough I guess. I hope you can revisit it down the road and find more enjoyment in it. Conversely, I hope that it continues to impress and grow beyond the extent of a week or two. It's too early for me to form a solid opinion just yet but I do feel like a handful of songs are definitely on the atmospheric / Crosses side. They feel pretty well-done to me though – on first listen, maybe 1 or 2 songs at most went in one ear and out the other. It took me a few revisits for everything to stick on KNY, though, so we'll see.

Nothing really standing out to me on the first listen as something I'd want to revisit besides prayers/triangles. But I will anyway because a lot of times the albums that grow on me end up being my most loved albums. Kind of lacks the intensity and edgy/creepy feeling I get (and like) from White Pony, Around The Fur, etc.

That's fair enough I guess. I hope you can revisit it down the road and find more enjoyment in it. Conversely, I hope that it continues to impress and grow beyond the extent of a week or two. It's too early for me to form a solid opinion just yet but I do feel like a handful of songs are definitely on the atmospheric / Crosses side. They feel pretty well-done to me though – on first listen, maybe 1 or 2 songs at most went in one ear and out the other. It took me a few revisits for everything to stick on KNY, though, so we'll see.

I feel and share everything you've said, Derek. My attention diminished a little bid on side C, but the last three tracks brought me back in. I'm at work listening to the CD for the fifth time today and I can say that there is not a real weak spot on here, for me anyways. I love the underlying atmosphere of the album, that I can say for certain.