Is ion really that bad?

I've seen in previous posts on here that ions are a make that you stay away from unless you want your records to be ruined. I currently have a GPO and find that on one or two of my vinyl it skips and the rest of them the vinyl moves up and down a little bit so all of them warble a little. It's noticeable but not intolerable. But for those two reasons I refuse to keep using it as a I don't want to damage my records. I'm saving up for a new better turntable however that could take some time, but I still want to be able to play my records until such a point I can get a good non-usb turntable. A friend of mine has an ion and says she finds that none of her records warble and it doesn't skip any of her vinyl. Sounds a hell of a lot better that mine give that it's also a USB turntable. However I don't want to spend money getting one if it's going to damage my records just as much as my GPO will. Thoughts? Does anyone have an ion? What's your experience with it? 

Is there any cheap turntable that won't damage my records? With it only being temporary just for the sake of me being able to actually play my records rather than leave them to collect dust, impeccable sound and tons of bass is not an important factor for me right now. 

Listen to mp3's? I don't understand why people want to listen to vinyl if they don't care how it sounds. Between bandcamp and youtube you can listen to almost anything for free. Vinyl isn't a cheap hobby.

Is there any cheap turntable that won't damage my records? With it only being temporary just for the sake of me being able to actually play my records rather than leave them to collect dust, impeccable sound and tons of bass is not an important factor for me right now. 

You can get a good price on vintage stuff. Don't get anything that's one of the linear tracking automagic ones.

You can get a good price on vintage stuff. Don't get anything that's one of the linear tracking automagic ones.

This

There is no excuse for buying one of these cheap plastic abominations whichever badge is on it.

We have a thing called the internet which means there is a wealth of knowledge available to those who seek it out and the world is now a smaller place when it comes to buying secondhand.

All it takes is research and patience.

Listen to mp3's? I don't understand why people want to listen to vinyl if they don't care how it sounds. Between bandcamp and youtube you can listen to almost anything for free. Vinyl isn't a cheap hobby.

Exactly

My recommendation is to just save what you can and get a decent entry level turntable. At least, that is if you really want to collect records.

Will that ION tear up your records? Sure after a while. You aren't going to put a record on it and it come off warped, but the cheap stylus will eventually wear down the grooves. Maybe just hold off on buying vinyl until you can get a decent turntable. I personally think the Music Hall MMF 2.2 is a good route to go, but there are some cheaper decent turntables out there. 

When you think about how much you spend on non necessities, a few hundred bux for something you really enjoy isn't all that bad.

I'm not an expert. But folks who know more about turntables than me said U-turn audio is putting out some legit stuff. 

Here's a review from the people at Klipsch: http://www.klipsch.com/blog/u-turn-audio-orbit-basic-turntable-review/

Starter turntables are about $179. (http://store.uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable). The gents in this post are probably right about finding something vintage and piecing it together, but U-turn's product is assembled in Boston by hand from a group of audiophiles. That sold me. You might keep your eyes peeled for a deal on Project Debut Carbons on Ebay or Amazon (http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debutcarbondc&cat=turntables〈=en).