Yo VC, what's there to do in Portland?

I know of a good place in vancouver but havent found anything great in portland

Where at in Vancouver?

Also, not a place or thing to do, but I am in love with Secret Aardvark habanero hot sauce.

Same here.

I live in central Oregon, but go to Portland to visit friends and see shows often. 

This thread is full of really good advice and response.  Pretty spot on. 

Ride the max every.  Its awesome.

If you are into to deep crate diving, the record store I'd recommended is Cross Roads Music.  Its in the Hawthorne district (which also has a lot of great food, shops, and bars).  It features a bunch of different record sellers in the same local.  You have to be willing to dig as there is a ton of inventory in varying level of organization, but I've always found something I wanted in that shop. 

I know there is a wide range feelings regarding Voodoo, but I'd say its worth going to at least once.  The people watching is ridiculously awesome and the donuts are in fact good. 

Like someone else pointed out, if you like beer, Oregon is the best for it.  I'd recommended visiting Deschutes (its my local brewery, but they have a pub in Portland). 

I've found some great stuff at Crossroads but totally forgot about them until now...I definitely have to go there soon. Also, Deschutes are one of the best.

I was in Portland for three days in March, had a blast. Highlights for us: brunch at Radar, dinner at Imperial, coffee everywhere but especially Barista, donuts at Blue Star, vodka and dumplings at Kachka, tiki drinks at Rum Club, fancy drinks at Pepe lo Moko, games at Ground Kontrol, wandering Mississippi Ave.

Can't wait to explore more, it's such an easy trek up from SF.

I definitely took down a lot of this recommendations since I've only been here for 2 months. I think I might have to go to Killer Burger tonight! And definitely want to go to Blue Star. I like the maple bacon bar from VooDoo, but that's it. Everything else is well, just a donut. No big deal there.

Anyone know the best place to get pho?

The Blueberry Bourbon Basil donut at Blue Star is unbelievable.

I had some good Pho in NE Portland near a friends home. I wish I remember exactly which place we went to but there are like a zillion on the same few blocks kind of around NE Fremont and NE Sandy.

Taking my parents to Portland Sunday to "show them the city" (They're moving to Ashland in a month). Besides the obvious things, any suggestions for places to take your 50+ year old parents in PDX? It can be touristy/outdoorsy/random/etc as they've never been there.

Lan Su Chinese Garden. It's beautiful, cheap, and they have an excellent tea room.

• 1 month later...

YO!

So i have been trying to relocate to Portland for about 6 months now.  searching zillow and realtor all day long with the wifey.

we think we found a sweet house. anyone living in Portland, can you tell me what you think of this particular hood...

couple blocks from the yellow line max train at Rosa Parks. walking distance to a big new seasons, and biking or a train ride to mississippi records.  20 min max ride from downtown.

I got to explore this area myself when I was there in October, but would appreciate a locals perspective.

also... what is the local vibe on homeless people in stump town? i imagine the are pretty unavoidable living there. 

appreciate your point of views 

enjoy your weekend

YO!

So i have been trying to relocate to Portland for about 6 months now. searching zillow and realtor all day long with the wifey.

we think we found a sweet house. anyone living in Portland, can you tell me what you think of this particular hood...

couple blocks from the yellow line max train at Rosa Parks. walking distance to a big new seasons, and biking or a train ride to mississippi records. 20 min max ride from downtown.

I got to explore this area myself when I was there in October, but would appreciate a locals perspective.

also... what is the local vibe on homeless people in stump town? i imagine the are pretty unavoidable living there.

appreciate your point of views

enjoy your weekend

I live near that neighborhood. Natives call n. Portland "the ghetto" but there really aren't any terrible parts of portland, and 1300 sq foot houses don't sell for 300k in the ghetto. ;

It's a great neighborhood if you ask me.

As far as homeless...there are a lot of them, but most are young transients with a few crazy homeless thrown in. They're whatever and for the most part benign. They stick mostly downtown anyway. That's where they can get more money.

Probably the most polite homeless population I've encountered tbh.

Sushi Ichiban is some of the best cheap sushi I've ever had.  It's "train" style, so you just pick up premade rolls from colored plates.  It's basic, so nothing fancy, but you can get full off $10-15.

O'Hana is the same, but their happy hour is fucking nutssssss and you can order stuff that isn't on the conveyor for the same price. When wifey and I go to WinCo out near clackamas (rarely) we try to hit that and both have full dinners for $20 total. :)