Yo VC, what's there to do in Portland?

YO!

So i have been trying to relocate to Portland for about 6 months now.  searching zillow and realtor all day long with the wifey.

we think we found a sweet house. anyone living in Portland, can you tell me what you think of this particular hood...

couple blocks from the yellow line max train at Rosa Parks. walking distance to a big new seasons, and biking or a train ride to mississippi records.  20 min max ride from downtown.

I got to explore this area myself when I was there in October, but would appreciate a locals perspective.

also... what is the local vibe on homeless people in stump town? i imagine the are pretty unavoidable living there. 

appreciate your point of views 

enjoy your weekend

grew up in this neighborhood, honestly great. close to the Mississippi area which is an up and coming "hip' area with lots of great food, bars etc. over all a great area.

• 3 years later...

I really want to know if the rain/drizzle starts to wear on you, especially transplants. My wife and I are always looking for the next place to land. Been to Portland when it's been blazing hot and when it's been rainy and cold and was fine with both. I don't mind rain and some gloom, but I just wonder how much it would affect my mood, coming from sunny California. The lack of much of a winter is starting to get annoying here, though I've always lived in CA, so don't know if I'd like living in Portland.

I know the houses are expensive there, but nothing compared to the Bay Area. Also looking at Sacramento. We just want a bigger house with preferably a bit more land around our house than a normal city/suburb house. We'd be able to get that in Portland.

41 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

I really want to know if the rain/drizzle starts to wear on you, especially transplants. My wife and I are always looking for the next place to land. Been to Portland when it's been blazing hot and when it's been rainy and cold and was fine with both. I don't mind rain and some gloom, but I just wonder how much it would affect my mood, coming from sunny California. The lack of much of a winter is starting to get annoying here, though I've always lived in CA, so don't know if I'd like living in Portland.

I know the houses are expensive there, but nothing compared to the Bay Area. Also looking at Sacramento. We just want a bigger house with preferably a bit more land around our house than a normal city/suburb house. We'd be able to get that in Portland.

It does sometimes in the winter months, but it's mainly just lack of sun in general. Taking vitamin D really helps though when I remember to.

On 11/30/2018 at 12:35 PM, lexicondevil said:

I absolutely love it. Granted, I did move here from New Orleans which is 12 months of summer.  My seasonal depression has almost reversed oddly enough. I thrive with hoodies and drizzle. 

• 3 weeks later...

Any insights on commute time traffic? Are there freeways/commutes that absolutely suck? For instance, if someone were moving to the Bay Area I would say that if you live North of the Bay Bridge in the East Bay and you work south, your commute on 80 is going to really suck during morning and evening rush hours. I really fucking hate being on the road, so I'd want the commute to work to not be that terrible.

1 hour ago, lexicondevil said:

Any insights on commute time traffic? Are there freeways/commutes that absolutely suck? For instance, if someone were moving to the Bay Area I would say that if you live North of the Bay Bridge in the East Bay and you work south, your commute on 80 is going to really suck during morning and evening rush hours. I really fucking hate being on the road, so I'd want the commute to work to not be that terrible.

Commutes on the west side blow, and in downtown it's not super fun to drive around (lots of one way streets). East side is usually pretty decent. Whatever you do, don't try to commute from east to west, or west to east during any rush hour.

That said, I'm an awful commuter. I like my commute to be 20 minutes or less, and preferably 15.

Public transit is pretty awesome here though, so if you're down for a little longer, but usually less stressful commute that way, that's an option. I wish I were more patient and could convince myself to do it, but I'm not. If I'm going someplace with bad parking though I'll usually find someplace near the MAX and park somewhere around 15 minutes from where I'm going. (Blazers games)

Edited by Ishtar

12 hours ago, Ishtar said:

Commutes on the west side blow, and in downtown it's not super fun to drive around (lots of one way streets). East side is usually pretty decent. Whatever you do, don't try to commute from east to west, or west to east during any rush hour.

That said, I'm an awful commuter. I like my commute to be 20 minutes or less, and preferably 15.

Public transit is pretty awesome here though, so if you're down for a little longer, but usually less stressful commute that way, that's an option. I wish I were more patient and could convince myself to do it, but I'm not. If I'm going someplace with bad parking though I'll usually find someplace near the MAX and park somewhere around 15 minutes from where I'm going. (Blazers games)

Valuable information. Hopefully I will get lucky with job and house location if/when we actually move there.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Reshiram said:

Going to Portland next week and super excited. Gonna go to Mt. Hood, a Trailblazers game and the coast. Question for y'all which are the best breweries in town? I wanna go to Rogue for sure but I'm not too familiar with all the other ones. Feel free to give any other bar recommendations!

Gigantic and Cascade are 2 musts for sure. 

3 hours ago, Reshiram said:

Going to Portland next week and super excited. Gonna go to Mt. Hood, a Trailblazers game and the coast. Question for y'all which are the best breweries in town? I wanna go to Rogue for sure but I'm not too familiar with all the other ones. Feel free to give any other bar recommendations!

@The Butcha and I are going to see Slow Crush and Holy Fawn at High Water Mark next Saturday (if he still plans on going). It's in N Portland and I've always enjoyed my time there.

I second the suggestion of Gigantic, and a buddy of mine does some work with Second Profession Brewery. Some good beers and a really laid back atmosphere.

What kind of food are you into?

2 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

@The Butcha and I are going to see Slow Crush and Holy Fawn at High Water Mark next Saturday (if he still plans on going). It's in N Portland and I've always enjoyed my time there.

I second the suggestion of Gigantic, and a buddy of mine does some work with Second Profession Brewery. Some good beers and a really laid back atmosphere.

What kind of food are you into?

Hopefully will be able to make it. Working on replacing my closer at the restaurant right now and if I don’t find someone by the weekend I’ll have to be there. So we shall see how the week goes. 

Gigantic is fantastic. Never had a beer of theirs I didn’t like. Cascade, the other brewery I mentioned, does only aged sours. Which I love. So if you’re into that sorta thing check them out for sure!

8 hours ago, Reshiram said:

Not a picky eater at all. Sizzle Pie and Killer Burgers have peaked my interest. I definitely love good Mexican or a good taco truck, I also love a good pub where I can get a drink and a good bite to eat.

I've always been partial to La Bonita on Alberta St. for Mexican food, Poor Que No? Is also pretty good, but more hip. Hour Glass Pub has really good chicken. It's been a while since I've been there though. Belmont Station is a fun place to buy bottles and they have a bunch of taps and a great sandwich cart behind their building.

Blackheart serves a mean chicken Benedict. One of the best things I've eaten this year.

Killer Burger and Sizzle Pie are two of my favs around town though, so you can't go wrong with what you're already planning.

Edited by MachoHommeRandallSauvage