Cannot decide. RP3 or MMF 5.1

I have a Rega RP3 but I'm not a huge fan of the Elys 2 cartridge. Seems to be inner groove distortion on some of my records.

Edit: I guess I should say that overall I love the Rega. Fairly easy to setup and lots of upgrade options down the road if you want to do that.

I would check your alignment again as a Rega cart in a Rega arm on a Rega table should be right. That or the records that give you IGD are possibly already worn on the inner grooves or badly pressed

I would check your alignment again as a Rega cart in a Rega arm on a Rega table should be right. That or the records that give you IGD are possibly already worn on the inner grooves or badly pressed

I've never actually checked the alignment as it came installed from the factory. I'll have to double check it. That being said, it's only certain records that I notice it on and they're all "newer" pressings. The ones I've listened to lately that were bad were Set Your Goals - Mutiny and Light Years - Temporary.

It's always worth a check. IGD is generally down to bad alignment (including too much or not enough bias), worn records, a wearing stylus or bad pressings in that order.

Some carts in some tables you just can't align as some carts geometry is wrong as is some tonearms but not very many and with all Rega I'd say the chances of that are pretty much zero.

I would expect a Rega to be spot on when it leaves the dealer but I do hear of Projects being out from new regularly so any table needs to be checked.

Thanks for all the responses so far guys. One of my major concerns regarding the RP3 is the Elys cartridge, I've heard from a few sources that this cartridge is pretty much useless. 

One thing I noticed was the SE version of the 5.1 has even better isolation and has a Mojo cartridge (Ortofon, always been a big advocate of their cartridges): http://www.needledoctor.com/Music-Hall-Turntable-MMF-5-1-SE_3

Not to mention the SE is in a very similar price range

i had a rega rp40 that i traded in toward a vpi scout 1.1 I would not recommend the RP3. Speed stability was an issue, it ran fast at 33.5-33.7 with its own "tuned" outboard speedbox, no easy way to tweak speed, and the elys40 cartridge just did not sound good. There was horizontal movement when you dropped the needle so that it would never cue where you wanted it to, this was not an issue with the antiskate. The table felt very light and "cheap" (this is a personal opinion, rega on purpose makes decks with a light weight plinth, this is part of the design) but overall my technics sl1200 felt much better built, and honestly sounded just as good with a shure m97xe.

However, since buying the Scout, I have no longer even been searching for a new turntable. It is a phenomenal piece of kit, extremely well built and sounds incredible. Hope this helps.

For the money, go RP3.  The build quality is better than the Music Hall.  When you can afford it, put a dynavector or 2M black on that mother.

Given the choice between the two I would also go Rega and mostly because of the arm and the sheer musicality of it over the Music Hall.

There are also a lot more worthwhile upgrades for the Rega all the way upto retaining just the arm and bearing from the original

i had a rega rp40 that i traded in toward a vpi scout 1.1 I would not recommend the RP3. Speed stability was an issue, it ran fast at 33.5-33.7 with its own "tuned" outboard speedbox, no easy way to tweak speed, and the elys40 cartridge just did not sound good. There was horizontal movement when you dropped the needle so that it would never cue where you wanted it to, this was not an issue with the antiskate. The table felt very light and "cheap" (this is a personal opinion, rega on purpose makes decks with a light weight plinth, this is part of the design) but overall my technics sl1200 felt much better built, and honestly sounded just as good with a shure m97xe.

However, since buying the Scout, I have no longer even been searching for a new turntable. It is a phenomenal piece of kit, extremely well built and sounds incredible. Hope this helps.

Speed stability in the US which I expect is due to the way the earth neutral and incoming live phases in the mains system are treated is always something to consider though because it seems to cause quite big speed fluctuation problems in some areas and why decks with some form of tacho electronic speed control are sometimes the only option.

This issue could effect both if you suffer with bad mains in your area and on the plus side if not it could effect neither.

only if you insist on buying new...

Couldn't agree more

I will be buying new only because financing is currently my only option.

I found a demo stock of the Rega RP3 already fit with the Elys 2 for under $900. It's between that and the Music Hall MMF 5.1SE, which I really like because it's already fit with the Mojo cartridge.

Sounds like the general consensus is the RP3? Especially with the cartridge already fit with a discount due to it be demo stock?

I will be buying new only because financing is currently my only option.

I found a demo stock of the Rega RP3 already fit with the Elys 2 for under $900. It's between that and the Music Hall MMF 5.1SE, which I really like because it's already fit with the Mojo cartridge.

Sounds like the general consensus is the RP3? Especially with the cartridge already fit with a discount due to it be demo stock?

That's a good deal, go for it.  The Music Hall carts aren't any better than the rega carts (In fact they might be worse).

I would honestly get a project debut DC esprit (built in speedbox) and an ortofon 2m blue/bronze or Denon DL-110 and call it a day $650 for the table, and 2-300 for the cartridge, and it will be more convenient and sound better than RP3 with elys. The lifting up the platter to change the speed is IMHO terrible.

Pro-ject is another I would only buy locally, due to the hum issue.

Pro-ject is another I would only buy locally, due to the hum issue.

Appears as though the hum is mainly due to people not removing the shipping/transit screws. I like the option of the Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC, with an added Speedbox. Then using the money saved to purchase an Ortofon Blue or Bronze cart.

Pro-Ject Xpression III with Dynavector 10x5 and speedbox in a separate ad, but both from the same seller

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649197560-project-xpression-iii-with-dynavector-10x5-cart-pro-mounted/

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649197562-prject-speed-box-2/

I've got the Xpression III and it's a great table. 

It's to be expected but there will always be a lot of personal preference in these suggestions so if you are buying from a local dealer the only way to know for sure is to go in and do some back to back listening.

Each has their own pro's and cons and their own sound so you can listen to everyone's experiences and advice but the only way to know for sure which is best for you is to trust your own ears.

I have an RP3 and love it.

Out of the box it's pure simplicity and sounds fantastic, but the beauty is in the upgrade path you can take that elevates the table to another level.  I've tried a Rega Exact 2 and 10x5... both mated beautifully.  I swapped the sub-platter for the Groovetracer Reference which I found made a subtle difference in clarity and reduced noise floor.  Next up will be the outboard TTPSU.