PO: Static-X - Wisconsin Death Trip (NewOnVinyl)

I feel so confused... I can see how this could be a good/fitting tribute to someone (the idea that Wayne could have once said "When I die, y'all can replace me in the band so the music can live on, but the dude's gotta dress up like zombie me" doesn't sound that far-fetched), but I can also see how this could be in super poor taste (e.g., if he and the other band members weren't on good terms when he died).

on a much less lighter note, I wonder how Adidas feels about Zombie Wayne wearing one of their track jackets :)

I've heard that him and Tony Campos were best friends til the end but I mean who can know what Wayne would have approved of really? I agree that this looks pretty damn tasteless hence why when I saw this I shared a chuckle with the guys who also used to be Nu Metal skate rats back in the day.

There is a "final album" of "Wayne Static's last recordings" also on the way where the tracks and if you'll forgive the pun stems* are fleshed out with a revolving door of lead vocalists from bands of a similar ilk including the guy from Dope and that man with the soulpatch made of piercings from Disturbed.  That is a more common way to go about cashing in before you fall into complete obscurity for sure.

Still it's 2019 I'm not about to be outraged by the decisions made by what is left of Static-X.

*stems like you know that song "Stem" from Wisconsin death trip :P

Edited by Stress On The Sky

The decision for Static-X‘s ‘classic’ lineup of bassist Tony Campos, guitarist Koichi Fukuda and drummer Ken Jay, to reunite for a tour and new album under the band’s name this year has generated its fair share of controversy. The main sticking point has been the obvious absence of frontman/guitarist Wayne Static, who died in November of 2014. As Campos and Static had a personal rift at the time of Static‘s death, there has been a vocal portion of the band’s fanbase who have criticized the venture.

While Campos has previously explained his decision to reunite the band, a new post shared by the outfit via their social media explains why they chose to adorn their new touring vocalist in a mask that adapts Wayne‘s trademark look. That touring vocalist has thus far been rumored to be Dope frontman Edsel Dope—though nothing official has been released on the matter as of yet.

The band’s current plans include touring behind the 20th anniversary of their platinum selling debut album “Wisconsin Death Trip” as well as releasing a new album featuring Static‘s final studio recordings along with some guest appearances from the band’s peers. In this below newly shared post, they state that the decision to utilize a mask with some of Wayne‘s features was a suggested by the touring vocalist and that Static‘s family approved of the idea:

“A message directly from the band…

Thank you again for the overwhelming response to our new album and the WDT 20th Anniversary World Tour.
The shows have been selling like crazy!
Chicago and Pittsburg have already sold out…
Las Vegas NV, Los Angeles CA, London England, and Melbourne Australia are right behind them and will sell out soon.

After releasing our latest teaser, we noticed that some of you are curious about how we came to our decision regarding the mask and the visual presentation of our touring vocalist..
In the end, the answer is pretty simple..

As many of you know, Tony came across some unfinished studio sessions, featuring Waynes final works last year. He eventually enlisted the original WDT band, along with our original producer Ulrich Wild to help finish the recordings and complete what will be a brand new Static-X album titled (Project Regeneration)..
The album is turning out to be something very special and we look forward to sharing more with you all very soon.

The response to the album announcement was incredible and the 20th Anniversary Wisconsin Death Trip Tour / Memorial to Wayne Static was announced a few short months later…

Let us begin by restating the obvious.
This is the Wisconsin Death Trip 20th Anniversary Tour, therefore, these events are 100% about nostalgia for everyone involved..
This was not about setting the tone for the future or about putting a new face to the band or establishing a new identity for Static-X..

This is about experiencing the vibes of an old school Static-X show “LIVE & LOUD” 20 years later, while we honor our dear friend Wayne Static.

The search for a touring vocalist for Static-X was not an easy one.
First, we wanted to keep the continuity that Static-X has always had on stage.
It has always been 4 guys.
Drummer, Guitarist, Bassist, and a Singer who also plays guitar.
In addition,
We wanted to select someone that we had familiarity with.
Someone who knew us and someone who knew Wayne and someone who had a connection to our community.
Someone who would take this personally, because this is very personal to all of us.

Once we found our guy, we began to discuss the stage show and the visual presentation for the tour..

In the end, it was actually our touring vocalist, who suggested that he wear a mask on stage..
Out of respect for Wayne and for the band, he didn’t feel that it would be right for his own image or identity to be placed in the center of something that he had nothing to do with creating…

This struck the 3 of us as an incredibly selfless and humble gesture!

The truth is, he could have been very self serving and looked at this as an opportunity for him to raise his own profile and to put his name and face out there for all of you to see.

Instead, he expressed the exact opposite intentions..

He also explained that the idea of wearing a mask would allow him the freedom to get lost in the vibe of Static-X and to completely disconnect from his own identity and ultimately serve Static-X better..

Further, he expressed that the mask itself, along with his performance each night could act as a unique part of the memorial to Wayne..
A tribute, for lack of better words.

Before we moved forward with any of our creative decisions, we first shared our ideas and designs with Waynes family.
They have given us their full support every step of the way.

Let us also acknowledge that Wayne was much more to Static-X than our talented vocalist and guitarist..
His trademark Static Electrified hair proved to be just as unique and identifiable to Static-X as his incredible voice..
In time, the Static-X hair would become a signature part of the bands identity as well as its identifiability.

The mask was already something that was decided on, so the hair just naturally followed….

All of this has allowed us to channel the vibe and the spirit of Static-X through another vocalist, without taking any of the focus away from the 4 people who originally created Static-X and brought you Wisconsin Death Trip 20 years ago..

The motivation is simple and the result is undeniable…..
The mask, the hair, and the overall presentation we have chosen immediatly makes you think of Wayne Static and Static-X.

In the end, that is ALL that this is about.
This is about Static-X
This is about the 20th Anniversary of Wisconsin Death Trip, and the nightly / global memorial to our brother Wayne Static..
Anyone who doesn’t “get it”, is just not looking closely enough.

We OBVIOUSLY wish that Wayne was here doing this with us, unfortunately, that is not an option.
Rather than putting someone else’s face in his place for our 20th Anniversary Tour, we have chosen to memorialize him and to ultimately to immortalize him..
In our hearts, there is no greater display of respect than what we are doing.

We were never interested in performing with a hologram and using pre recorded vocals..
We didn’t feel that Static-X performing with a “special guest” singer that everyone recognized would accomplish the Wisconsin Death Trip vibe or experience.

For us, this is all materializing better than we could have hoped and we have no doubts that we are gong to to bring the fans an amazing Wisconsin Death Trip experience.
The stage production is insane and the band is sounding legit as fuck!

In closing, we know that Wayne would be honored by all of the love and effort that has gone into this.
We know that Wayne will be with us each night, in spirit, as we celebrate WDT around the world.

We are very excited to get out there and celebrate with you all very soon!

Much love!
Ken, Koichi, & Tony.

I don't fully grasp why people wouldn't understand a band making an attempt to continue on whether temporarily or indefinitely, after losing a member.  Of course each group would make this decision for themselves, but so what if the surviving band members are trying to make some money...?  And?  Who are you to decide what's right or wrong for someone else's band/project/job?  This is not a hobby for some of these people, don't forget.  What do you do when you go to work?  Or why do you go?  If suddenly your company owner died, the company collapsed and you had no more job, but could go with the district manager to another company to make some dough in a potentially desperate situation, would you do it?  Even if the working conditions are worse than what you previously had?  Alright, maybe this isn't a fair comparison.  Or maybe it is.  I don't know.  Or really care.  

All I can say, is a fan of this band (and this same principal would go for any other band I'm a fan of), I appreciate that they go on, and give a little more, when they've been to a place where it would seem impossible for it to ever happen again.  Will it be the same as when Wayne was fronting the band?  If you're expecting that, or for them to make a carbon copy exactly, you're an idiot.  Will it still be cool, and fun, so long as you're not angry and bitter for no reason, and are willing to have some fun and enjoyment for just a little bit longer?  If life wasn't temporary, I would listen to logic behind why someone wouldn't want the band to continue.  But it is, so let's, or at least I am going to, get something good out of life while I can.  And if that means they're releasing new material, half of which is Wayne's personally, and they'll be playing a show near my hometown, count me in.  I'm down af as fuck to shove the guy next to me with Static-X while they tell us to Push It one more time.   

And of course! this is all taking into account that the surviving members do it tastefully and respectfully.  Which to me, it seems very much so, that Static-X are going above and beyond, in doing.

On 4/6/2019 at 8:37 PM, verb1999 said:

I don't fully grasp why people wouldn't understand a band making an attempt to continue on whether temporarily or indefinitely, after losing a member.  Of course each group would make this decision for themselves, but so what if the surviving band members are trying to make some money...?  And?  Who are you to decide what's right or wrong for someone else's band/project/job?  This is not a hobby for some of these people, don't forget.  What do you do when you go to work?  Or why do you go?  If suddenly your company owner died, the company collapsed and you had no more job, but could go with the district manager to another company to make some dough in a potentially desperate situation, would you do it?  Even if the working conditions are worse than what you previously had?  Alright, maybe this isn't a fair comparison.  Or maybe it is.  I don't know.  Or really care.  

All I can say, is a fan of this band (and this same principal would go for any other band I'm a fan of), I appreciate that they go on, and give a little more, when they've been to a place where it would seem impossible for it to ever happen again.  Will it be the same as when Wayne was fronting the band?  If you're expecting that, or for them to make a carbon copy exactly, you're an idiot.  Will it still be cool, and fun, so long as you're not angry and bitter for no reason, and are willing to have some fun and enjoyment for just a little bit longer?  If life wasn't temporary, I would listen to logic behind why someone wouldn't want the band to continue.  But it is, so let's, or at least I am going to, get something good out of life while I can.  And if that means they're releasing new material, half of which is Wayne's personally, and they'll be playing a show near my hometown, count me in.  I'm down af as fuck to shove the guy next to me with Static-X while they tell us to Push It one more time.   

And of course! this is all taking into account that the surviving members do it tastefully and respectfully.  Which to me, it seems very much so, that Static-X are going above and beyond, in doing.

To be fair I'm not passing judgement I was only posting because to me cosplaying as the lead singer was an interesting choice I've not seen done. I have no horse in this race.

On 4/7/2019 at 8:27 PM, Steady7 said:

So I live I'm Cedar Falls/Waterloo Iowa and Wayne and Chris Cornell died before playing here....wild

Same region.  I saw Cornell's 2nd to last show in Somerset, WI, and had tickets to the Powerman/Static tour that was about to happen just days before Wayne died.  Sad stuff, appreciate what you love while you got it.

Uhhhhhh, what?

“Thanks again for your order!
We just wanted to let you know that the release of: 

STATIC-X/WISCONSIN DEATH TRIP@1LP ORANGE & YELLOW MIXED VINYL (8719262010901)

Has been delayed until May 10, 2019. It was previously scheduled for May 18, 2018. We’re very sorry about this!

Feel free to contact us with any other questions you may have.

Thank you again,

- the crew @ Bull Moose”

Edited by Rottengoth

13 hours ago, Rottengoth said:

Uhhhhhh, what?

“Thanks again for your order!
We just wanted to let you know that the release of: 

STATIC-X/WISCONSIN DEATH TRIP@1LP ORANGE & YELLOW MIXED VINYL (8719262010901)

Has been delayed until May 10, 2019. It was previously scheduled for May 18, 2018. We’re very sorry about this!

Feel free to contact us with any other questions you may have.

Thank you again,

- the crew @ Bull Moose”

Seems like they initially entered the wrong release date as it says 2018 now it's switched to the year we are currently in.