Not that these are super necessary, but Joy Division's four "albums" Unknown Pleasures, Closer, Substance, and Still are being reissued this summer. Substance/ Still (which are essentially comps) will be reissued on 2LP 180g black and the other two records will be single as always.

I normally wouldn't start a thread for something so regularly accessible, but I've yet to find a reasonably priced, decent copy of Still or Substance. There are plenty out there, but most of them are beat to shit.

Sill- ~$41

Substance, Closer, UP- ~$22

Still haven't figured out why Still is double the price (when Substance is also a 2LP), but whatever.

Also, all but Substance are the 2007 remasters, while Substance is a remaster from 2010.

http://www.thestereoboutique.com/eu/s/joy-division

Dude, there are so many reissues everywhere, I don't think you'll ever have a problem. I picked up my copy of Closer at a record fair for like $11 and it was an original (I'm pretty sure anyway). There have been about 100,000,000 reissues. Just go into any Urban Outfitters and look in the clearance section.

Dude, there are so many reissues everywhere, I don't think you'll ever have a problem. I picked up my copy of Closer at a record fair for like $11 and it was an original (I'm pretty sure anyway). There have been about 100,000,000 reissues. Just go into any Urban Outfitters and look in the clearance section.

Yeah, I think it was the 2007 one that I see everywhere. What I meant was that those ones (~$15) will probably be replaced in most places with these new (slightly more expensive) ones. The stores will get shipments of the new one instead. Vendors like Amazon, (and all of its third-party warehouses) Barnes and Noble, UO, and local record shops.

Just a guess, though. I mean, of course, you can always get a used copy for really cheap. I'm exclusively talking about new stock.

right, that makes more sense to my early morning brainfog.

@UP- I only ever see Closer or UP, but not Substance or Still.

Still has been out of print for awhile, and Substance has never been reissued on vinyl from Rhino (I think).

Will probably pick these up since all I have is a beat up original of UP. Wonder what sources these are though.

I can't tell you what the sources are, but my reissued UP sounds great, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I've never picked these up because they are so abundant and i'm not sure which press would sound the best. Anyone else have any insight?

I'm almost positive I can get all four of these locally, but I'm not positive on Substance. I always wanna pick up Closer and UP, but they're ~$17 at that shop. I find it hard to pay that much for albums that are this old, but I'll be biting the bullet on these, I suppose.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean when you say you find it hard to pay for albums this old?

Out of curiosity, what do you mean when you say you find it hard to pay for albums this old?

When a band has been making money off said record for 30 years, I find it hard to justify spending more than $15 on a record, especially if it's a single LP in a non-gatefold jacket.

Of course there are some exceptions, but this shop has like 8 copies of Closer and UP, so I never feel inclined to pay more than I want for them. If they only had one copy, it'd be different.

I've owned 4 copies of Still... I had that big reissue with the big cloth bound book, but ended up letting it go (bought used) just because the pressing wasn't as good as the other 3 I had. I don't care for the modern remastering of Joy Division, sometimes loses its dirty "almost cheap" sound that I love! 

I think I ended up keeping an Italian (second) pressing (it was probably the cheapest packaging, slim cardboard) and the vinyl quite thin, but man does it sound fucking nice...still don't understand it but the point of all this is, ITS SUPER EASY TO FIND COPIES because there are so many pressings. Just give it time. Every JD album I own has been bought used...(that includes original pressings of UP and Closer) ...

If you don't have any JD in your collection get on that asap! Also happy with a reissue of Substance (as all I've ever seen are bootleg garbage copies? So if this is an official Substance release, super happy to finally own it?

I've never picked these up because they are so abundant and i'm not sure which press would sound the best. Anyone else have any insight?

Original copies of Closer and Unknown Pleasure (either US or UK pressing) are arguably the best... Try to get a factory issued pressing that isn't one of the modern remasters and you will be good...

Same goes for Still (any original copies, as well as the italian import sound great!) 

I can't speak for Substance...But stay away from the RHINO pressings...

Eh, the original Rhinos sound pretty good. I snagged an original Factory Closer so that's why I dumped my Rhino, but I did an A/B comparison beforehand and the difference was minor. If the Factory had been noisy I might've sold that one instead. 

I'm excited to get Substance though. I have an original Love Will Tear Us Apart 12" (just got lucky finding that one) but it's nearly impossible to find ALL those songs in their original 12" format... Or a clean original of Substance, for that matter. 

Plus after seeing Peter Hook I'm on a bit of a JD kick again...

Since we're talking about singles...I have a Factory Love Will Tear Us Apart that I wouldn't mind trading for a full length of either Closer or UP. Just the $16 or whatever represses that are out now, obviously.

Looks like it's this RP though. http://www.discogs.com/Joy-Division-Love-Will-Tear-Us-Apart/release/1241365

Also have The Smiths - How Soon Is Now that I'd trade for either of those mentioned above, or some stuff by The Smiths (I already have S/T though.)

It's this one.

http://www.discogs.com/Smiths-How-Soon-Is-Now/release/372700

Aaaaanywho. Just thought I'd throw that out there.