Vinyl app with image recognition - feedback and thoughts

Hi there everyone!

My name is Christian and i am one of the developers on a new app called OnVinyl and we would like to hear some of your opinions on our project.

Moderator: If this post violates any board rules please edit or delete it.

OnVinyl is an app which makes it possible for vinyl enthusiasts to catalogue their vinyl record collection using image recognition. You can snap the front of your record cover and add it to your collection with a single click.

At the moment the app contains the following features:

• Search records using image recognition.
  • Manage your vinyl record collection.
  • Find stores worldwide.
  • Follow your friends activity.
  • Share your vinyl collecting activity with friends.
  • All records have cover art.
  • It's free and ad-free
  • more to come.

The app is new on the market so it might fall short of functionality in some places and bugs might occur. Please let me know if you experience any problems.

So far the app is only available for Android but the iOS version is in its early stages of development. Furthermore if you have feedback of any kind please let us know by answering this thread or send me an email - [email protected]

You can download the app from Google Play here.

And if you want you can read more or follow us here.

Thank you!

Just like everyone else has said, there should be a drop-down menu for variants and the website shouldn't say vinyl(s).

Also, what if I have an obscure release from someone on BandCamp? Will that be recognized? What if it's a special cover art that's different than the standard one?

Implement the API from Discogs. There's an app called Discollector that works with Discogs but it's only really useful for looking at your own collection and removing stuff. There's a barcode scanner built into it but I can't get it to work. Would love a simple way to add things to my Discogs collection directly from my phone, as of right now that site is best used from a desktop/laptop browser and most to us are already invested in its database and probably wouldn't switch to another with less identifiers.

Implement the API from Discogs. There's an app called Discollector that works with Discogs but it's only really useful for looking at your own collection and removing stuff. There's a barcode scanner built into it but I can't get it to work. Would love a simple way to add things to my Discogs collection directly from my phone, as of right now that site is best used from a desktop/laptop browser and most to us are already invested in its database and probably wouldn't switch to another with less identifiers.

I've been using MilkCrate for a while now. It ties into your Discogs collection and has a barcode scanner that works.

Also, the incorrect plural from of vinyl is used on the website's main page. 

Whenever I see this from some new jack vinyl website, it immediately tells me that the site has nothing to offer me.

IMO it's just as easy to search for a record on discogs and click "add to collection" on a mobile device as it would be to take a picture or scan a barcode and then have to verify that it is the correct pressing listed anyway.

If you could include a drop down menu that would allow you to select a variant after talking the photo, it could work. All the variant info is available on discogs, so it wouldn't be too tough to track down.

Just like everyone else has said, there should be a drop-down menu for variants and the website shouldn't say vinyl(s).

Also, what if I have an obscure release from someone on BandCamp? Will that be recognized? What if it's a special cover art that's different than the standard one?

Actually, this is already possible. On the "match"-view there's a button that says: "Select Release". Isn't this what you are requesting?

@DOMAN127 It is designed to handle these special cases. But it can only recognize records that are added beforehand by other users. If you add a completely new album then (after some time) the next user to add this will be able to find it by image search :-)

Barcode scanner would be awesome. Except for the too punk labels of course.

Both Discogs API and barcode scanner is planned for a near-future update.

Actually, this is already possible. On the "match"-view there's a button that says: "Select Release". Isn't this what you are requesting?

@DOMAN127 It is designed to handle these special cases. But it can only recognize records that are added beforehand by other users. If you add a completely new album then (after some time) the next user to add this will be able to find it by image search :-)

Cool. I appreciate the response, and as soon as this hits iOS, I'll download it for sure.

Whenever I see this from some new jack vinyl website, it immediately tells me that the site has nothing to offer me.

IMO it's just as easy to search for a record on discogs and click "add to collection" on a mobile device as it would be to take a picture or scan a barcode and then have to verify that it is the correct pressing listed anyway.

If you can't handle a single misplaced character from a non-native english speaking then the internet might not be the best place for you.

Before you click "add to collection" you have to enter a lot of stuff. If you think it's just as easy as snapping an image you are not using your camera properly.

If you can't handle a single misplaced character from a non-native english speaking then the internet might not be the best place for you.

Before you click "add to collection" you have to enter a lot of stuff. If you think it's just as easy as snapping an image you are not using your camera properly.

The character wasn't misplaced. Vinylz is the noob spelling in every language.

If you could include a drop down menu that would allow you to select a variant after talking the photo, it could work. All the variant info is available on discogs, so it wouldn't be too tough to track down.

This could work, however I feel like it would be a nightmare for some stuff like Jazz LPs with the different runout numbers. But something tells me that's not the intended audience

This app is not compatible with my android device :(

What phone (or tablet?) do you use?

This could work, however I feel like it would be a nightmare for some stuff like Jazz LPs with the different runout numbers. But something tells me that's not the intended audience

We allow collectors to link records with catalog numbers and we might support matrix numbers in a future update. However it's important to us that we're able to keep it simple for collectors with different preferences.

Well this blows! Any chance of a windows phone release? I'm just going to point out that with windows 10 coming up I should be easier than ever to port apps across from both ios and android, plus you'll be able to release the app across all platforms (phone, desktop, tablet, even xbox one I believe)