Record Store Day's new "Vinyl Tuesday"

I can see the reasoning for this:

1- The record industry has decided to move worldwide release day to Fridays to combat piracy

2- Why wouldn't the RSD people jump on this day (Tuesdays) and help continue to "support the stores"

3- If "special" releases are released in a staggered manner throughout the year I can see the two RSDs become less of a hassle for stores, plants and fans.

wondering if this could somehow be a good thing in the long run for us people who hate "the hobby." RSD is a moneymaker because it's essentially a holiday. once a week may water down the excitement of variant collecting for hobbyists or whatever. like, too frequent of events make it "not cool anymore" or something. ya know?

or not. i don't know. maybe i need another beer.

What if VNYL and RSD make a sick collab somehow

Also what if senfeld still on tv today?

Jery sign up for VNYL

BANYA: what you think of ur #vibes

JERY: I dunno, they send me this

jery pull out ABBA's greatest hits

BANYA: thats GOLD jery

I think their goal is to ultimately make it super difficult for indies to continue to be a part of the distribution chain. The specs for both the Global Release day Fridays (starting July) and for "vinyl Tuesday" are a pain in the ass, and call for a totally different way of mandatory branding and changes that are incredibly difficult to understand and implement. Seem to be more of a partnership to help move more major label releases, and to help squeeze more independents (that don't have the staff, expertise, and the ability to completely change something out of the blue) Indies never got a heads up about this. All finding out the same time everyone else is. 

It's definitely another roadblock to push indies out of the picture.

Also RSD in 2016 you'll see next to no independent releases. RSD has stopped approving most independent releases. And 2016 is anticipated to be almost completely major and major affiliated releases. In hindsight I kind of wonder if this was the goal from the beginning. 

I hope that fans of independent music and smaller labels will cease to support both "vinyl Fridays" and RSD in general. It's doubtful as I don't think most consumers care. But I think this is starting to spell out the beginning of the end for indie distributors and labels to be able to get their releases in stores. Independents are going to have to find unconventional ways to distribute product, and doesn't look they'll have much of a chance to be in bigger stores any longer. The specs for vinyl Tuesday are ridiculous. they want to dictate every single aspect going so far as to dictate the proper fonts, color schemes, reporting systems, marketing.  They seem to be on a mission to destroy both indie retail and indie labels.  Mail order direct I think will soon be one of the few ways to actually actually support indies, as they are trying hard to make it as difficult as possible to continue traditional distribution.  Fuck all of this. Majors saw something happening with increased vinyl sales for independents and were quick to hijack it and take it over.  I'd almost guarantee we'll all see prices skyrocket also, to the point where indies won't be able to offer the lower price points, and will be forced eventually to raise pricing to the 25+dollar releases. 

Whole thing sucks ass. The end is near!

If a record is released that I want, I'll buy it.

If a record is released that I don't want, I won't buy it.

I don't care about the sticker on it, the branding, if it's for RSD, if it's for Vinyl Friday, or whatever. Everyone is overthinking this.

And who cares if indies aren't part of RSD? Indies seem to hate RSD now anyway. Yeah, your records may be delayed because of it, but if you don't want to participate, no one is forcing you. Put out the records you want and sell them how you want. If you make a good product, the right people will buy it. You want to create valuable customers, not onetime consumers who only buy your release because it has an RSD logo slapped on it.

If a record is released that I want, I'll buy it.

If a record is released that I don't want, I won't buy it.

I don't care about the sticker on it, the branding, if it's for RSD, if it's for Vinyl Friday, or whatever. Everyone is overthinking this.

And who cares if indies aren't part of RSD? Indies seem to hate RSD now anyway. Yeah, your records may be delayed because of it, but if you don't want to participate, no one is forcing you. Put out the records you want and sell them how you want. If you make a good product, the right people will buy it. You want to create valuable customers, not onetime consumers who only buy your release because it has an RSD logo slapped on it.

No, they are trying to change the distribution system in general. If you don't want to see independent releases in stores then great. Just buy from the bands/labels websites. But I don't think saying that "well we aren't forced to distribute releases, so don't participate" is too cool.  They are making it harder and harder to distribute releases in general. The global release day, the vinyl tuesday. You have to comply with certain guidelines to even get your releases into the stores. (at least that is what they are trying to do)  Not just RSD or whatever. A2IM is doing a great job of squeezing indies out of the distribution pipeline.  Very little to do with the actual RSD events. Although it does suck that indies are being forced out of that as well.   Are there really people that would like fewer and fewer places to stock independent releases. Would like to see them less readily available, harder to find?  Good product/people will buy it, is null and void if people can't find it. 

No, they are trying to change the distribution system in general. If you don't want to see independent releases in stores then great. Just buy from the bands/labels websites. But I don't think saying that "well we aren't forced to distribute releases, so don't participate" is too cool.  They are making it harder and harder to distribute releases in general. The global release day, the vinyl tuesday. You have to comply with certain guidelines to even get your releases into the stores. (at least that is what they are trying to do)  Not just RSD or whatever. A2IM is doing a great job of squeezing indies out of the distribution pipeline.  Very little to do with the actual RSD events. Although it does suck that indies are being forced out of that as well.   Are there really people that would like fewer and fewer places to stock independent releases. Would like to see them less readily available, harder to find?  Good product/people will buy it, is null and void if people can't find it. 

So how will this affect independent releases exactly? Don't all the strict guidelines you're talking about only apply to this new thing we're talking about? There are still independent distributors, they can still send independent releases to independent record stores. Are you saying  it's just a sheer volume game, like there will be minimums for participating and since most stores want to be able to carry big releases, they'll choose that over the little guy? I know nothing about how any of this operates, so forgive me if there's something obvious I'm missing.

....independent brick and mortar stores aren't forced to buy any of this stuff....if they think their customers will bite, they'll bring in that product....if they don't think their customers will buy the product they won't bring it in.

Additionally, saying that RSD is squeezing out independent artists/distributors might not be accurate....if the major label releases are what have been selling then they're going to continue working with majors, I'm certain they get a decent amount of revenue from majors as well. So where RSD began as a way to get customers back into independent Brick and Morter stores they succeeded...and now that customer base has changed. I think it's fare to say that despite how large "The Bubble"/"The Hobby" has grown this is still a niche market over all....and Majors have been watching any of their sales decline over the past few decades, they saw a trend and eventually got on board with it....they're smart about their releases, they repress tried an true...what sucks is they have the money and money talks. So from RSD stand point, this is how RSD continues on and continues to grow, sadly it's in an ugly way which bloats the entire vinyl market with unnessisary represses of easy to obtain records and from our standpoint (or maybe just my standpoint?) we don't want 50 fucking colors of a Fleetwood Mac record nor 50,000 new copies of Aerosmith and The Boss. Essentially independent labels and distributors are being squeezed out because they don't have money. This isn't a new trend nor is it the first time in the history of recorded music this has happened.

For the record, I'm not jazzed on what RSD has becoming nor the direction it's heading...every year there are fewer and fewer releases I'm excited about, but as mentioned by someone previously in this thread, my reaction is pretty fcking simple....if I don't want it or if I think it's too expensive I simply don't buy it...

As with all things Major Label, it's taken them 15 + years to work on adjusting things to combat piracy effectively.....they were a bit sluggish to jump on board with this small vinyl resurgence and truthfully, the only reason you see tried and true artist/catalogs getting repressed is because they still think this vinyl trend will come to a close soon and just like independent labels, they can't afford to sit on product, so they're attempting to be cautious as well.

Long and the short, can't we all just get along? Can the people queuing up for the next Taylor Swift record stand beside somebody looking for the most obscure band you've never heard of? Can we not let Majors be the Majors and let the Independents still be the a place for real art to emerge? Idependent brick and Morter stores aren't going to start ONLY carrying major label releases any time soon, that much I can guarantee you.

No, they are trying to change the distribution system in general. If you don't want to see independent releases in stores then great. Just buy from the bands/labels websites. But I don't think saying that "well we aren't forced to distribute releases, so don't participate" is too cool. They are making it harder and harder to distribute releases in general. The global release day, the vinyl tuesday. You have to comply with certain guidelines to even get your releases into the stores. (at least that is what they are trying to do) Not just RSD or whatever. A2IM is doing a great job of squeezing indies out of the distribution pipeline. Very little to do with the actual RSD events. Although it does suck that indies are being forced out of that as well. Are there really people that would like fewer and fewer places to stock independent releases. Would like to see them less readily available, harder to find? Good product/people will buy it, is null and void if people can't find it.

Nothing in this thread prior to your post mentioned anything about the overall distribution model changing. That's a different situation altogether. Maybe RSD and vinyl Tuesday contribute to that, but they're just parts of the whole. If distributors overall are squeezing out indies--isn't No Idea a fairly large indie distributor?--then that sucks. My point, however, was that indies should stop complaining about RSD and stop participating if they don't like the direction it's heading. The web was awash with labels owners crying about RSD. Don't like it? Don't play. Or, better yet, find a way to change it. Crying about it isn't going to get your records into people's hands. You're not powerless.

VNYLTSDY every Tuesday at VNYL!

For a $10 cover charge, you can get in line to sample as much physical music as you'd like (5 minute max for each listening station), enjoy hand-curated $10 drinks from our MXLGST Steve (ice cold Coors and Rolling Rock, baby), and hang in our Instagram-ready inner sanctum and snap as many pics in front of our speaker wall as your Camera Roll will fit (2 photos per guest only).

*We won't be carrying any RSD Tuesday releases or offering any discounts or sales on our in-store stock. Each guest must register for 2 months of VNYL before entry is allowed. Please keep the noise volume down for our neighbors.

Nothing in this thread prior to your post mentioned anything about the overall distribution model changing. That's a different situation altogether. Maybe RSD and vinyl Tuesday contribute to that, but they're just parts of the whole. If distributors overall are squeezing out indies--isn't No Idea a fairly large indie distributor?--then that sucks. My point, however, was that indies should stop complaining about RSD and stop participating if they don't like the direction it's heading. The web was awash with labels owners crying about RSD. Don't like it? Don't play. Or, better yet, find a way to change it. Crying about it isn't going to get your records into people's hands. You're not powerless.

Sorry man, didn't mean to offend anyone with the post. I'm certainly not crying.  No Idea yes is a distributor but there are typically a major distributor somewhere along the distribution chain, No Idea included.   I don't care about RSD really, that was just mentioned in passing. Was just mentioning the new "vinyl tuesday and the Friday global release date, and how I perceived it to be stupid. People are super sensitive on this board.