Is this anything special?

You should know that you are probably the first ever poster to so soundly disarm the VC ruff-n-tuff crew of their shit-talkin' with one single post.

You could get some serious cash for that. Or, your friend could. Or you could, if you tell him it's not worth shit and then sell it for yourself.

Does anybody know what it actually is though? Like, in what part of the production process was this made and for what purpose? I'm genuinely curious.

It looks like a reference acetate, which would be cut at the mastering studio so the producer/artist/label could request any changes to the mastering before the final lacquer was made for the pressing plant. Presumably some would get into the hands of DJs and radio people, too. Pretty awesome find there.

It looks like a reference acetate, which would be cut at the mastering studio so the producer/artist/label could request any changes to the mastering before the final lacquer was made for the pressing plant. Presumably some would get into the hands of DJs and radio people, too. Pretty awesome find there.

It looks exactly like that's what it is, and while different tracks than what Morfiend linked to, they are both reference acetates.

While some of these have clearly escaped into the wild, I'm not sure they would have been sent out to radio folks. These are not made to be played long term and apparently break down very quickly.