[PO Now]: Windhand - Grief's Infernal Flower via Relapse released 9/18

This album got a really shitty review in the new Decibel.  I usually find Decibel reviews to be pretty accurate, but whoever reviewed the record must have been had shit stuffed in their ears because after breaking down and listening to a few tracks on the full album stream, I wholeheartedly disagree with the review points.

Yeah that dude be trippin'. One does not simply give a bad review to a Windhand record.

4f0455241861333a8e00071d.jpg?w=400

Relapse's site now lists /150 purple, green with splatter as a variant. As I recall, initially it was dubbed purple / green merge. Perhaps that's the reason why Pirates Press didn't include it in the photo on their ROTW blog. Didn't press the most limited variant immediately and now pressed a slightly different version of it?

*Edit - nevermind. I just didn't notice any splatter in the mock-up.

Just listened to this on CD on my stereo system. Sounds fuckin' huge. I wasn't getting that impression from the digital listens but damn. As far as the musical composition. Its killer. There's a lot going on. There are some weird choices like a song just straight cutting out to finish but its so good all over regardless. "Hesperus" and "Kingfisher" as the two back to back epics make a hell of a combo and they're so different from each other. There's a weird broken down sort of ragtime(?) swagger to a few of the vocal lines in the former. Its so out of place yet it works. She just sounds drunken and ominous here. There really is a weird attention to detail which really breaks up the monotony of what Windhand can be to some listeners even though I'm totally comfortable with their business as usual sound. There are some different sounds on this one and they go beautifully in complement to the normal sound they have. Its almost more colorful than any other release. I wish I could have spun the vinyl for the first listen but it was nice not to have to get up and flip and switch discs for a change. I don't know what to say. I'm kind of in shock. The overall mixing and guitar tone sounded different on these new tracks with Endino at the helm and I was worried this LP wouldn't sound as big based on the digital mastering I was listening to but on a real system, this album crushes and smothers.

Con: Some of the leads could have been higher in the mix. I think that's it. One con.

Can't wait to hear it on vinyl.

EDIT: Plus I think I like the original recording of "Forest Clouds" to the LP version. That might simply be because it came first though. We'll let time tell.