PO: The Appleseed Cast - Lost Songs

This material is better than anything the band has done post-"Peregrine".  

Wait. What? (ok, musical taste is subjective)

i am not into tapes at all, but am I the only one who thinks that a $9 tape is way more of a reach than a $20 LP?

Still debating picking this up though, can anyone recommend me another great Big School Records release to save on shipping?

Get both for $30ppd. $20 for the 180gm, $5 tape, $5 shipping. Voila!  But yeah, $9 is a bit steep, though they are /150 and hand-numbered! (-:   I have paid that for some cassettes, like recently Mamiffer (may have been more), but it has all kind of cool hand-made stuff with it and directly by the artists.

Hmmm. I was able to license a record from deep elm and press 500 copies on colored vinyl at a more expensive plant and sell them for $11. The pressing may never sell out either. But yeah, $25 is reasonable for something that probably has a $6-$7 per unit cost.

You were selling them for $11 post paid?  My Paypal history doesn't go back that far, but I don't think so.  The simple math is that if you were paying $6 per record from the plant (which I think is low after DE gets their cut), then paying $3-4 for shipping, and then whatever for packaging supplies, time, as gas, you were losing money.  Gee...I wonder why the guy doesn't charge $11 shipped for the record?

I think it came out to about $15 including shipping in the US. Obviously, I wasn't including shipping. You can buy boxes and tape in bulk and print labels at home. USPS will pick up from your house. Not that hard to get some of those costs down.

But you're including the shipping costs for "Lost Songs".  It's $20 without shipping.

Okay. $11 ~ $20; $15 ~ $25. Why are you acting like you don't understand simple statements? How much further do I need to dumb it down?

I just think you're misrepresenting numbers and, like dantheriver said, assuming that you and they received the same licensing deal.  I maintain that $20 for a limited of 500 pressing of a record I've wanted to see in press for years is a fine deal.

I just think you're misrepresenting numbers and, like dantheriver said, assuming that you and they received the same licensing deal. I maintain that $20 for a limited of 500 pressing of a record I've wanted to see in press for years is a fine deal.

It's a fine price, a little on the higher side.

I bought it too, but I'm not sure why you're defending the price so hard.

If people want it they'll buy it, but $20 for a single LP is a little steep. If it had even cost $18 plus shipping I wouldn't have even thought about it. Those $2 make a weirdly big difference.

• 2 weeks later...

S'pose I felt the need to chime in on this discussion since it does, in large part, involve me. :)

In the spirit of transparency I will elaborate a little on my costs. My per unit cost for Lost Songs is somewhere around $8. It will be more once I see final shipping costs from Pirates Press - likely very close to an additional $1 each. 

Per my agreement with John @ Deep Elm - licensing fees were 20% of gross profit (not sure how that was split up between the band and DE). So now I'm sitting at about $11.25 per unit, my cost. I am required to sell 50 copies to the band @ $10 each but you know what, fuck that, I offered to give the band their 50 copies free of charge (plus #'s 1-5 to the band members) because damn if they aren't one of the greatest bands to ever grace this green Earth. So add another $500 or so to my actual costs. Once you do the math you can see that I'm not exactly quitting my day job here. 

I'm not going to entertain the complaints about $5 domestic and $18 international shipping because, hey, that's what it costs to properly ship a record these days. I refuse to send an international record out on a boat for 2-3 weeks to save a few bucks on shipping. It's counter-intuitive. I don't re-use mailers, they are all new and there are no less than 6 sheets of bubble wrap in that mailer (or 2 cardboard dividers) protecting the record. I can't tell you how many times I've purchased a record, paid $4-5 and that shit is rattling around in the mailer, taking a complete beating. 

To reiterate what someone said earlier, I also wish this were a Graveface release because it's well-documented, Ryan is fronting the best damn label on the planet right now. However, I really didn't think there was any interest in the album and assumed it was never getting pressed so I took the risk. Yes, I view it as a risk because there's no guarantee these are going to sell out anytime soon because I do not have distribution nor do I wish to get involved with distributors who simply don't pay their bills. 

I'm sorry that a good many of you feel the asking price is expensive. I have a lot of time and effort into this release and when those 200+ pre-orders need to go out it's going to be me sitting in my office packing up each and every one of them, very carefully. I think the price is fair considering that I'd like to be able to keep the doors open to continue releasing music I love. Or at least be able to give myself a fighting chance, ya know?

S'pose I felt the need to chime in on this discussion since it does, in large part, involve me. :)

In the spirit of transparency I will elaborate a little on my costs. My per unit cost for Lost Songs is somewhere around $8. It will be more once I see final shipping costs from Pirates Press - likely very close to an additional $1 each.

Per my agreement with John @ Deep Elm - licensing fees were 20% of gross profit (not sure how that was split up between the band and DE). So now I'm sitting at about $11.25 per unit, my cost. I am required to sell 50 copies to the band @ $10 each but you know what, fuck that, I offered to give the band their 50 copies free of charge (plus #'s 1-5 to the band members) because damn if they aren't one of the greatest bands to ever grace this green Earth. So add another $500 or so to my actual costs. Once you do the math you can see that I'm not exactly quitting my day job here.

I'm not going to entertain the complaints about $5 domestic and $18 international shipping because, hey, that's what it costs to properly ship a record these days. I refuse to send an international record out on a boat for 2-3 weeks to save a few bucks on shipping. It's counter-intuitive. I don't re-use mailers, they are all new and there are no less than 6 sheets of bubble wrap in that mailer (or 2 cardboard dividers) protecting the record. I can't tell you how many times I've purchased a record, paid $4-5 and that shit is rattling around in the mailer, taking a complete beating.

To reiterate what someone said earlier, I also wish this were a Graveface release because it's well-documented, Ryan is fronting the best damn label on the planet right now. However, I really didn't think there was any interest in the album and assumed it was never getting pressed so I took the risk. Yes, I view it as a risk because there's no guarantee these are going to sell out anytime soon because I do not have distribution nor do I wish to get involved with distributors who simply don't pay their bills.

I'm sorry that a good many of you feel the asking price is expensive. I have a lot of time and effort into this release and when those 200+ pre-orders need to go out it's going to be me sitting in my office packing up each and every one of them, very carefully. I think the price is fair considering that I'd like to be able to keep the doors open to continue releasing music I love. Or at least be able to give myself a fighting chance, ya know?

I appreciate your hard work and transparency.

I do hope that it arrives safely, because as I've said before in this thread, my LLO from you had a corner just smashed to bits.

I'm sorry that a good many of you feel the asking price is expensive. I have a lot of time and effort into this release and when those 200+ pre-orders need to go out it's going to be me sitting in my office packing up each and every one of them, very carefully. I think the price is fair considering that I'd like to be able to keep the doors open to continue releasing music I love. Or at least be able to give myself a fighting chance, ya know?[/quote

I appreciate you doing it. No complaints on price. Said it earlier in the thread that Appleseed deserve more sales and recognition.

• 4 weeks later...

Do I want to buy this? Maybe. However, I have some questions. Anybody have it and heard the pressing? How many are left?

You want to buy it. I have it on good authority that the records sound (and look) fantastic. They are about halfway gone.

So uh...These shipping Monday or what?

All orders will be shipped by mid next week. I've been getting about 30-40 of them out per night.