My vinyl "investment"

It's been one year since I got the vinyl bug and it doesn't appear to be going away any time soon. Right away I could see my spending getting out of hand and we had just started the Dave Ramsey budget plan. This of course made things tricky but it made me very careful what I buy, and more importantly how I buy.

I discovered Discogs pretty quickly and found out it was very easy to set up and sell from. Each week I'd come home with a few garage sale scores to list for sale. As an Amazon Prime member, I not only learned how to search for bargain LP's, I made sure I ordered one at a time so I could keep the packing material (never once have I purchase a shipping box). 

Another help was buying two copies of any limited/variant editions and selling one to basically pay for my copy or at least make it very cheap.

All in all it's gone pretty well and I've tracked all my purchases/sales in the "You Need A Budget" (YNAB) app on my iPhone. Since last June, my out of pocket expense is about $800 and I've got about 400 records. The other good news is I just finished logging them all in Discogs and according to recent sale info, my collection at the low end is at $3400 on the low end and $9500 on the high. Anything used I own is VG+ or better and of course the new stuff is all NM.  While I'm a bit over budget on a monthly basis overall since last June, I've still managed to get a heck of a collection for a relatively low outlay.