My vinyl "investment"

The "investment" thing really started to work after 10 years for me, nowadays I just sell the stuff I dont play or rarely play and buy new records with the same money. Just sold 2000 USD worth of records last month and bought new ones for the same amount (Music Matters Blue Note re-issues). I never saw the vinyl thing as an investment, I just buy the music I like (which is about 10 records a month). Of course there is a lot of pre-listening going on too (mp3-s, streaming, radio, reviews etc).

This one time, at band camp, I brought some of my records and my Crosley turntable. Everyone thought I was awesome and a group of flute and clarinet players (I play flute) were totally jamming out to my Brand New - Déjà repress that I scored on EBay for $125. Then, the first chair saxophone player walked into the dorms for a dorm check and yelled, "What the fuck are you doing flute boy, you're ruining your record on that piece of shit Crosley!" Everyone laughed and I felt like a total idiot for damaging my investment.

I used to pay for sex, but then I realized if I ran out on the prostitute while she was in the bathroom, I could get a good collection of orgasms for relatively low outlay.

Sure, I figure some day the pimps will catch up with me, but my collection of erections has had a hell of a year!

I love how so many people don't understand how liquidity, supply and demand and transactions work when valuing "investments". Especially when it comes to vinyl. Between watching the conversations in Sale/Trade/Wants and general conversations I have had with "collectors" it provides a lot of entertainment. Realistically, with the exception of some, the majority of used records should be valued between $5-$15 maybe $20 if they are brand new. Just because 4 idiots payed an average of $60 for you one off hot topic pop punk band record doesn't mean there is an infinite supply of buyers willing to pay that price. More likely the pool of buyers has dwindled now that those idiots have there hands on it. If you want a record bad enough go ahead and buy it for whatever price you deem worthy, heaven knows I have paid up to get certain things, but just don't expect to find someone to pay that price plus whatever premium you place on it down the road when you need to sell it, unless you are willing to sit on it for a year or two. If you need that cash now well good luck then...