PO- Frank Turner - Positive Songs For Negative People (8/7)

When I think of best songwriters, still alive and making music, I think of Jeff Tweedy (who I don't even like his music, but he's undeniably good), Sufjan Stevens, Conor Oberst, etc.

I'm not a Sufjan fan at all. Never really listened to Tweedy, and I would almost put Conor in the previous generation. The majority of his best material was written in the 90s/early 00s. I'm by no means a big Conor fan, but I love Lifted and Wide Awake immensely, so much so that I would agree he used to be a great songwriter. I just can't stand 99% of his catalog, especially after Wide Awake/Digital Ash.

Now you've made me feel old. I remember buying my first record in 1988. Spending about 15 minutes deciding between two records as it was such a huge deal to me.

I've only heard the England Keep My Bones, which I loved, so may check this out.

Dude don't feel old haha. My girl is three years younger than me and makes me feel old solely because I saw A Day To Remember before they blew up hahaha.

Is the picture disc sold out already?

• 1 month later...

First listen I thought the album was solid, not my favorite but definitely not his worst... But I've listened several more time over the last 30 hours or so and I really really like it.  I think it's way better than Tape Deck Heart, though admittedly I think that's his worst album.  And I don't think anything will be as good as Love Ire And Song or England Keep My Bones, but those are near impossible standards to hold this album to.

After I couple listens, I really like this album. Get Better is my favorite song of the year so far. And I like a couple of the acoustic versions better than the full band songs (Glorious You and Love Forty Down). I went to my local shop yesterday and they special ordered me a vinyl copy (they confirmed it's only available on an import label at the moment).

Also- I'm bummed I didn't PO on iTunes and get the bonus track. I had no idea Billy The Kid was on it.

Really not feeling this album. Like the 2 strong tracks at the start (tracks 2 and 3) but then it just all gets very meh to me. Shame as I've been a big fan of the majority of his back catalogue. Will still be checking him out on this tour though if I can - always a great show.

I couldn't get past the third song before I put something else on.  I love his earlier work a lot, but he lost me with Tape Deck Heart and this seems to really reinforce that.

Greatest songwriter of our generation

The thing with Frank Turner's albums is that there's always a couple of incredible songs, several totally forgettable songs, and 1-2 complete turds.  He's really inconsistent, but someday he's going to have the best greatest hits album of all time.

Also, $30 for the vinyl?  Looks like I'll be sticking to digital with this one.

The latter is a great response to the former. Puts on a great show though! I will say Tape Deck Heart was his most consistent album though, but didn't have any songs that really stood out for me.

Also yeah no thanks to $30 vinyl. 

Been listening to this constantly, and I really like it more and more with each playthrough. I will say I find "Silent Key" to be a bit out of place, and it's probably my least favorite song on the album, but it's grown on me a bit and I don't skip over it anymore. Mittens is fantastic, and I really like Love Forty Down.

The acoustic songs are an awesome addition to the album.

I will say that Tape Deck Heart is easily my favorite album of his, which I know isn't a sentiment that's overwhelmingly shared here, but I'm guessing people that don't like Tape Deck Heart aren't going to find much they like here.

With regard to the vinyl release, anyone ordering from the US store get any sort of update on when these are going to ship out? The site said on or around the 19th (I know it's only the 21st, I get it, I'm impatient). SRC has a release of 9/4, so just wondering if anyone had heard of any delays for the US release.