Vinyl Collective Coop

Yeah, that's the way to go.  Way back I had teamed up with Brent from Broken Circles and Jeremy (Mr Showbread) on the boards here to press a Blindside album.  The band ended up turning us down, but it seems to me that model makes more sense.  Pick a specific release, find a small label that's interested, come up with the funds between a few users and then knock on some doors to get it licensed.

It's more doable than it seems.  I'd think most small labels would be willing to pay back the "investors" after covering costs.

Right. And that's what I was referencing (thanks for telling the conclusion, ever knew what happened). I remember the Blindside thing I was considering laying down some serious cash $200-300 just to be a part of putting out a record I wanted with a high but low-risk investment.

Right. And that's what I was referencing (thanks for telling the conclusion, ever knew what happened). I remember the Blindside thing I was considering laying down some serious cash $200-300 just to be a part of putting out a record I wanted with a high but low-risk investment.

Yeah, I ended up talking to them in person at a show about it, they kinda made it sound like they might have been doing it themselves?  There was more of a language barrier than I had expected ;)  But either way, they thought it was cool there was that much interest, but didn't give the go ahead.

Why worry about the band's approval? :)

Funny Blindside story:

They were a huge band to us, but when they were touring for those first two T&N albums in the USA, they were playing with bands like Squad Five O. A band I was friends with in college (Wings A Shadow Cast) got the chance to open for them in 2001/02 for a mini tour. When the dudes from Blindside would ask questions like "Where's the bathroom?" or "Where can we get a drink?" the guys in the local band would pretend they couldn't understand them to the point it kept making a couple dudes in Blindside so mad they would storm off. Hearing my friends impersonate them with those thick accents was hilarious. 

• 1 year later...