PO now: David Bowie - Five Years 1969-1973 box set

• 5 months later...

'Who Can I Be Now (1974-1976)' announcement next week!

http://www.davidbowie.com/news/say-hello-gouster-55991

'The Gouster' is an unreleased album exclusive to the set.  This album eventually became 'Young Americans'.  Stoked!

13731020_10153576956522665_6742200380474

3 hours ago, idioteque... said:

Mofos could have easily pushed for a Low and Heroes release in there.  Only 2 albums I need that aren't in print.

The Berlin trilogy is obviously gonna get its own set after this.

They should probably add Scary Monsters, the last really classic Bowie record. But they won't... and you'll be stuck buying a box set with that, Let's Dance, Tonight, and Never Let Me Down.

5 hours ago, filthyrich said:

The Berlin trilogy is obviously gonna get its own set after this.

They should probably add Scary Monsters, the last really classic Bowie record. But they won't... and you'll be stuck buying a box set with that, Let's Dance, Tonight, and Never Let Me Down.

Lets dance is an incredible album, don't get why its not more popular but at this rate on how they're releasing these, itll take years

10 hours ago, idioteque... said:

Lets dance is an incredible album, don't get why its not more popular but at this rate on how they're releasing these, itll take years

Let's dance is great, but it's easily found for well under $5 almost anywhere. No real need for a repress. Tonight and Never Let Me Down also don't need a repress, but for the opposite reason. 

19 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

I want to hear the unreleased album, but I don't want to buy the boxset. Hopefully we'll see it outside sometime.

It's "unreleased" only in that particular configuration and running order. Four of the songs are on Young Americans already. The other three have been reissued several times as bonus tracks... in the 1991 Rykodisc version and the 2007 special edition, among others. You can track down the 1991 Ryko on vinyl if you really need them on wax, but none of those three songs (the remake of "John," "Who Can I Be Now," and "It's Gonna Be Me") are particularly memorable. 

Basically The Gouster is Young Americans minus two of its best songs (Fame and Win) and one of its worst (Across The Universe). And, um, Fascination. 

With a picture from the archives used as the "original cover" to make people think this was a proper album, when really it was just a tentative running order when Bowie was in the studio still writing more songs.