PO: NOW! - Caspian - Dust and Disquiet (9/25/15)

1 hour ago, Dave Grohl said:

Well I might return one, but I'm waiting till the next one comes to see. I'll let you know. If it comes down to it I'll keep it, and send it to you if you can't get a spare jacket. I guess they just had some extra white in there, and that's what I got. At least their return process is easy and I get a month to do it. And from what I've seen that's the only variant of Dust that has been going out.

Yeah, no sweat.  It was a random idea I had, but if you'll be returning it, I wouldn't worry about it.

On 10/25/2016 at 6:31 AM, Sasan said:

Not a big fan of the album, but this is the nicest looking variant for that record IMO...

The more I think about this post, the more I feel compelled to ask you why this album failed to meet your expectations.  Not in dude, what's wrong with you? way (but really; what's wrong with you?) but in a genuine manner.  It's fine that the album isn't your cup of tea, but I'd personally love to hear what doesn't do it for you, specifically.

For me, this album is the cat's pajamas.  It's the bee's knees; the kingpin's ball.  It's fine that you don't agree with that or any of the following, but I personally love that Caspian showed us that they're anything but a one-trick pony.  Waking Season suggested that, but D&D confirmed it. Aside from the most prominent use of vocals that we've heard from the band, they also veered away from the soaring, shiny, triumphant tremolo on earlier material.  They've spent years showing us that they can capture the sound of hope with builds that are just as good as any under the post-rock umbrella; on Dust, though, I feel like they really flexed their songwriting muscles and showcased their ability to reach comparable heights but through other means.  There's a sort of spacey somberness woven through the whole album – even in the interludes – and a lot of the moments that hit hard manage to do so in a fashion that is notably more grandiose and well-executed than the bulk of post-rock in recent years.

I just recently revisited the album and I'm a little confused on why anyone wouldn't regard it as one of the strongest, most mature additions to their repertoire of incredible music.  To each his own, of course, but I'd love to hear where you'd disagree.

I'll sort you out, man.

This is exactly why it has moved up to my favorite album by them, and my favorite post rock album in general. It seriously is a masterpiece. Very well articulated as always. I think the whole backstory, the place and the mindset that they were in when writing it really amplifies it all. That dark edge, and heartbreak behind it really sets it apart, making for their strongest, most daring, and innovative work to date. They stepped it up with Dust and I love every single note. I prefer sad music, and this record fucking does it for me, but it's so versatile. I love listening it in my room late at night after a long day, running throw the woods while it's raining to clear my head, blasting it in my car. There really aren't too many moments where I could put on Dust and it not be appropriate. Plus I think it comes off as some of their best live material to date. As I've said before, I'd love a front to back Dust tour.

19 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah, no sweat.  It was a random idea I had, but if you'll be returning it, I wouldn't worry about it.

The more I think about this post, the more I feel compelled to ask you why this album failed to meet your expectations.  Not in dude, what's wrong with you? way (but really; what's wrong with you?) but in a genuine manner.  It's fine that the album isn't your cup of tea, but I'd personally love to hear what doesn't do it for you, specifically.

For me, this album is the cat's pajamas.  It's the bee's knees; the kingpin's ball.  It's fine that you don't agree with that or any of the following, but I personally love that Caspian showed us that they're anything but a one-trick pony.  Waking Season suggested that, but D&D confirmed it. Aside from the most prominent use of vocals that we've heard from the band, they also veered away from the soaring, shiny, triumphant tremolo on earlier material.  They've spent years showing us that they can capture the sound of hope with builds that are just as good as any under the post-rock umbrella; on Dust, though, I feel like they really flexed their songwriting muscles and showcased their ability to reach comparable heights but through other means.  There's a sort of spacey somberness woven through the whole album – even in the interludes – and a lot of the moments that hit hard manage to do so in a fashion that is notably more grandiose and well-executed than the bulk of post-rock in recent years.

I just recently revisited the album and I'm a little confused on why anyone wouldn't regard it as one of the strongest, most mature additions to their repertoire of incredible music.  To each his own, of course, but I'd love to hear where you'd disagree.

2 hours ago, Sakurambo said:

Arrived today my Amazon copy in the Pilsner variant :wub: ...it's truly gorgeous!

Saw your IG post. Definitely a beauty. Second time is the charm for me, hopefully. Haha.

12 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I agree with you that it's the most mature record regarding song-writing in their repertoire and IMO the natural progression of this band.

Honestly, I can't give you a "rational" explanation of why I haven't found access to this record...it's more like I haven't given the record the time it may need to click! This results from the following:

Irrespective of the songs, I found it quite hard to enjoy the guitar sounds/sound in general at times; by sound I don't mean production-wise, but rather effect-wise! Something in my ears just can't stand these sounds (e.g. Separation from 0:50 on...almost all of Rioseco [wonderful song, shit sound!]...Darkfield 3:43-4:15...Echo & Abyss starting at 0:25...) As you can see, it's totally a personal matter...may sound strange but my ears consider these effects as annoying which result in some sort of uncomfortableness...

But be sure, I'll try to give it a few more (proper) listens...as stated, it's rather a sound-thing than it's songwriting!

15 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

That dark edge, and heartbreak behind it really sets it apart, making for their strongest, most daring, and innovative work to date. They stepped it up with Dust and I love every single note. I prefer sad music, and this record fucking does it for me, but it's so versatile. I love listening it in my room late at night after a long day, running throw the woods while it's raining to clear my head, blasting it in my car. There really aren't too many moments where I could put on Dust and it not be appropriate. Plus I think it comes off as some of their best live material to date. 

15 hours ago, Derek™ said:

There's a sort of spacey somberness woven through the whole album – even in the interludes – and a lot of the moments that hit hard manage to do so in a fashion that is notably more grandiose and well-executed than the bulk of post-rock in recent years...

You two have just reminded me why it's probably time to revisit this. I liked it when it came out, but never really got into it the way I got into Tertia way back when. I definitely agree that Caspian are a step beyond anything else going on in post-rock nowadays. It goes beyond just moving away from the post-rock staples too, there's just so much richness in every bit of instrumentation and so many unusual and interesting sounds going on. I get similar vibes from Dust that I get when I listen to Low Level Owl by The Appleseed Cast, in that I get pretty lost sometimes trying to figure out 'how the hell are they doing that?'.  It makes the repeat listenings all the more satisfying, whereas often with some of the instrumental stuff I've heard of late I've not felt much need to dive back in and do the same.

Then, on the other hand, maybe if the guitar in the last minute of Rioseco didn't sound so absolutely perfect I might not have dropped £350 on a guitar pedal trying to copy it. Oops.

Edited by Mattallurgist

On 11/1/2016 at 8:38 AM, Thomas³ said:

It's Amazon, I'm sure they'll get more soon enough.

I hope so.  It's weird that Triple Crown nor Caspian has posted about it being available in other places, or at all. 

Also, if anybody wants my white for $20ppd, it's yours.  Played a few times.  Great shape. 

22 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I hope so.  It's weird that Triple Crown nor Caspian has posted about it being available in other places, or at all. 

Also, if anybody wants my white for $20ppd, it's yours.  Played a few times.  Great shape. 

Already back in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013D10GTM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=M2UJAK7XXLTR&coliid=I2USA9VW2574W4

Thanks! The copy I ordered from Amazon should be here tomorrow or the day after.. Sincerely hope it turns out to be Pilsner! 

@Dave Grohl, I just have to ask, are there any telling signs on the external packaging/outer sleeve that it would be white rather than Pilsner? Will probably end up flipping it if it's white and then ordering another haha. 

Just now, jmsmusic said:

Thanks! The copy I ordered from Amazon should be here tomorrow or the day after.. Sincerely hope it turns out to be Pilsner! 

@Dave Grohl, I just have to ask, are there any telling signs on the external packaging/outer sleeve that it would be white rather than Pilsner? Will probably end up flipping it if it's white and then ordering another haha. 

Why wouldn't you just return it?

4 minutes ago, Freki said:

Why wouldn't you just return it?

I'm overseas in Singapore and as I understand it I can only return the product to Amazon if the item is defective (high cost of international shipping, which amazon won't bear and will chalk up quite a bit for me, so I might as well let it go to someone else who wants it locally.. And of course, to clarify 'flip' carries the connotation of flipping for a profit, but that's not what I meant lol

Edited by jmsmusic