PO: NOW! - Caspian - Dust and Disquiet (9/25/15)

25 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

If I can't get my lady to get one, maybe I can use you as a back up? xx

Gotta keep my complete collection just that, ... complete. ; )

It would be morally wrong for me to not help you keep that collection going. Hit me up if you need me! I'm seeing them on Sunday night.

• 2 weeks later...

They were great at Dunk.  Johnny was having some amp troubles, but it was still great.  The lights are SO intense there.  I also liked how Phil would connect some of the songs with little jammy interludes. 

Caspian also has a new drummer; their old lighting tech has taken over for Joe, who has bowed out of the machine to focus on his family.  The new guy seemed to handle everything pretty well; he was right on the money with the rhythm change in Fire Made Flesh. 

Seeing the Bern, Switzerland setlist hurts a little bit though after the fairly predictable Dunk setlist XD.  Glad I finally got Waking Season, Sad Heart, and Castles though!  Castles is an absolute beast live.  That ending is so crushing.  Really surprised they did absolutely nothing from Tertia though, although the Jo Quail sit-in on Rioseco was pretty cool! 

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, Mattallurgist said:

Well, there's not really many vocals to bury, so no need to panic!

I thought the same thing. I saw Yip last weekend and it took a lot to not go over and ask him why I can't hear the vocals on songs from La Dispute and Defeater. I've never had anything against the guy but I question what is going on with his work and why anyone approved it.

5 minutes ago, N8TRU1 said:

I thought the same thing. I saw Yip last weekend and it took a lot to not go over and ask him why I can't hear the vocals on songs from La Dispute and Defeater. I've never had anything against the guy but I question what is going on with his work and why anyone approved it.

Personally I don't think it's as bad to me as people make it out to be, especially with the Defeater record - I thought it all seemed very reasonable with a couple of points where it felt like the vox were a little muted for effect. Apples and oranges, I suppose! If I had one criticism of Yip's albums I'd probably say that a lot of those emo-revival LPs he did sounded a little samey, but maybe that's just the bands themselves! He did the last B&C, Turnover and PBTT records and all of those I felt were lacking a certain something, but I couldn't put my finger on it at all. They all feel maybe a little clean, a little safe, a little sterile?  Also, Matt Bayles did such a good job on Dust & Disquiet, it's incredibly rich and textured which I love.

Honestly though, these guys have never let me down, and they just keep getting better and better. I don't really have any fears that they'll knock this out of the park!

Edited by Mattallurgist

Okay, okay.  A lot of those critiques are more applicable to Fridmann than Yip.  And Yip’s worked with a few bands that have a fine track record in the production department.  (Turnover for instance.)  I haven’t abandoned hope... but also couldn’t resist some Photoshop tomfoolery.

On 5/25/2019 at 5:37 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

Can someone give me a cliff notes version of the Yip thing?  I've seen criticism of him in other places, and I just don't know the context. 

Some people find he messes up the vocals, as in that it's not clear enough to comprehend. Some of my fav albums come from the hand of Yip, so I'm stoked about the collab

1 hour ago, joneboon said:

Some people find he messes up the vocals, as in that it's not clear enough to comprehend. Some of my fav albums come from the hand of Yip, so I'm stoked about the collab

Same. Bands have been choosing him for a reason. He's a good producer and I've enjoyed a lot of what comes out of his studio. 

Edited by troymess