Order Now: Caspian - Tertia - 2xLP - 4th Press - Mylene Sheath (2015)

just listened to the album for the first time, pretty solid. i feel like i'm too late to the party though. those pressings are definitely underwhelming compared to previous installments.

You're never too late to party Caspian style. I'd recommend grabbing at least something to have a listening copy. Even if it's just black.

If this was a MoFi pressing on black I may agree with this or with the "audiophile black" nominclature but I doubt there will be an audible difference between these variants

I mean, MoFi pressings generally do sound good but it's a fact that black vinyl sounds best in most cases. Maybe this one will, I dunno I don't have first hand experience with it.

I wasn't singling out anybody, it just must be hard for labels to keep people happy with variants these days.

I guess it depends on who you ask.  But for me, I am in no way opposed to buying an album on "just black" vinyl, if that's the only option available.  Passing on a press solely because it isn't colored seems pretty absurd to me.  My prior comment was just my reasoning behind not picking up another copy of Tertia.

Not buying a record because you don't like any of the variant styles? Geesh, I can only imagine how hard it would've been for you back when black vinyl was all that was available.

Most of us own at least one variant of this already so I think the shared sentiment here is that "these aren't mind-blowingly unique variants", so no need to buy another copy, unless your Mr. Grohl with the ever impressive collection.

Most of us own at least one variant of this already so I think the shared sentiment here is that "these aren't mind-blowingly unique variants", so no need to buy another copy, unless your Mr. Grohl with the ever impressive collection.

Yeah, I'm not impressed by the variants, but I also don't really care that much. It's the 4th pressing. Most people who love this album already own it. It's just nice for them to get it into circulation again, then use the funds to sign new bands and press new stuff like Jakob. So I'm all for it. Even if I didn't collect Caspian I would pick up one or even two just cause I love Caspian and I love supporting Joel and Lindsay.

Volcano and the new half black / half gold are actually my favorites. I'm be glad to have a new listening to copy with the black, and I can retire my black first pressing.

My Caspian count is at 51. Let's see what Monday will make it. Haha.

why does black sound better?

I have a few clear and white albums that are my favorite-sounding.

White is typically noisy as balls.  Not always, but it has an undeniable reputation.  Exceptions are always nice, but I really try to avoid white records when I can.  I also don't care much for the way they look, 99% of the time.

Clear records are beautiful and tend to sound pristine, from my experience.

My clear with pilsner copy of "You Are The Conductor" might be my favorite record because the sound is just PERFECT.

One of my next favorites is sleepmakeswaves "...And so we destroyed everything" on 180g white.

Low surface noise... plays really well. Just a good press.

My clear copy of Deafheaven's Roads to Judah also sounds amazing.