Bad/Disappointing Pressings

I'm sorry but I have to say again that this list is incredibly stupid :\

No offence to OP or anyone in the thread, but, a serious amount of these are entirely individual based on personal taste/tolerance level and the individual record itself! ONE side skips on YOUR record, and without a single google you want to blacklist the record as "unlistenable" or a "bad pressing".

I'm just not sure I understand the purpose of a list like this if we aren't actually citing LEGITIMATE pressing errors that are widespread and reported - AND what those issues are.

Yes, BBNG2 was almost totally recalled because of how fucked the pressing was.

Yes, Lydia's Illuminate has a 1-3 second gap between songs

Those are drastically different problems, lol.

No offence to OP or anyone in the thread, but, a serious amount of these are entirely individual based on personal taste/tolerance level and the individual record itself! ONE side skips on YOUR record, and without a single google you want to blacklist the record as "unlistenable" or a "bad pressing"

I'm thinking the point is for people to identify their problems and maybe other people will be like "hey my copy of the self titled backstreet boys album also sounds like shit"

I personally think this is a good idea even if its not effecting the entire pressing... I mean I bought the Polaris record three times before acquiring a copy that didn't have surface noise and it's not my equipment. Sure someone could receive a record with a scratch and it skips and then everyone else that owns that record will have a perfectly fine copy. That's different. But if there's one defect in a run then there are bound to be more.

I'm thinking the point is for people to identify their problems and maybe other people will be like "hey my copy of the self titled backstreet boys album also sounds like shit"

I personally think this is a good idea even if its not effecting the entire pressing... I mean I bought the Polaris record three times before acquiring a copy that didn't have surface noise and it's not my equipment. Sure someone could receive a record with a scratch and it skips and then everyone else that owns that record will have a perfectly fine copy. That's different. But if there's one defect in a run then there are bound to be more.

Not to get off topic, bought you bought both a Polaris record and an Alt-J record three times, each, because of surface noise. And you don't think that it could be your equipment, or the fact that you didn't clean either of them?

This is exactly what I'm getting at haha... I don't think I could ever see myself buying 3 copies of a record because of surface noise and not at least trying to clean 1 of them. Let alone doing it twice... That's tolerance level. Your definition of surface noise, and my definition of surface noise might be very different.

Which is why I think this list is arbitrary at best :\

I didn't clean the alt j one, that was a noob move on my part I agree. Only bought that one twice, the surface noise was on the same exact song, I didn't bother buying it a third time because the album was garbage.

But never once did I say I didn't clean the Polaris record. I cleaned that shit a few times and nothing fixed. The first two had surface noise and a bunch of scratches that popped and I couldn't listen to it. I guess I won't say couldn't since you could probably tolerate it.. So didn't, I didn't want to listen to it.. That's why I bought it a third time :)

No offense to any of the people think this thread is "stupid", but you don't have to read it.

In the first post I mentioned that this is based on opinion. I listen to music on a pretty revealing system so really noisy pressings, or flat/boring pressings are not worth listening to for me. This is no ways meant to be the Bible in regards to bad pressings, just people posting opinions and helpful info.

I just bought the new Hayden record, Hey Love, and it's a bummer how noisy the pressing is, not pops and crackles, but full on tearing sound that makes it near unlistenable. I'm hoping it's just my copy, but I think it's worth mentioning. 

Also, I'll be updating the list soon, had a hectic holiday weekend so I'm catching up on some stuff. 

I'm just saying it needs to be much more detailed for it to be worthwhile. One person who thinks a record sounds bad shouldn't be on the same level as a record with known pressing issues is all I'm saying!

That's valid. I'm only one man with very little time, and I think this is a decent start. If you want to start the better version I'd be happy to contribute more detailed info on the albums I have problems with.

we should restart this thread with a format in which people have to submit their choices. Something like:

Artist:

Album:

Pressing:

Problem encountered:

Does problem persist through entire record, or just a portion?:

Did you clean the record prior to playing?:

Wet or dry clean?:

What type of TT is this being played on?:

1st, the DTR press on white. I've been curious how the Rise pressing sounds same goes for The Movielife if it had that stupid gap between tracks 1 and 2 on the ML pressing.

I've had 3 copies of the 1st press over the years and they all sounded fine with the exception of my 1st copy which had a nice scratch on the b side.