Bad/Disappointing Pressings

The first press on black of Saves The Day - Saves The Day was SO BAD. The repress on white is fine though.
Sames goes for the first presses of TWY - Greatest Generation and B&C - Things We think We're Missing. All of them got fixed pretty recently w the next pressings, which is good to see. 

The first press on black of Saves The Day - Saves The Day was SO BAD. The repress on white is fine though.

Sames goes for the first presses of TWY - Greatest Generation and B&C - Things We think We're Missing. All of them got fixed pretty recently w the next pressings, which is good to see.

I'm one of the few people who never had any complaints about my Hot Topic purple TGG or my yellow TTWTWM. But I've heard other copies of TGG and it isn't very consistent in quality.

All Capitol Radiohead releases sound shitty.

The problem is the quiet part of the first song. The second song sounds fine, but yeah this belongs on the list.

I'd like to add Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯ A♯ ∞

It's missing like 20 minutes, I'd be all over a double LP redo.

The CD and LP of Godspeed are completely different recordings, right? I've always wanted the CD version to be pressed, as it is far superior in my opinio .

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Antlers' Hospice pressing.. the album was recorded super lo-fi. The vinyl sounds much better than any digital copies of the same record.

Agreed. My vinyl copy of Hospice sounds better than my digital or CD. But no one listens to Hospice for the mastering or sound quality.

Agreed. My vinyl copy of Hospice sounds better than my digital or CD. But no one listens to Hospice for the mastering or sound quality.

Nope, you listen for feels!

To add to the list, definitely the Fall Out Boy Pax-Am Days RSD Black Friday 7" set. It also really rustles my jimmies that it says "45 RPM!" all over the damn thing and it plays at 33. 

On the subject of bad pressings, is there a superior pressing of NIN's Pretty Hate Machine? I know Trent shit on the repress, but people claim the 2010 remaster has more compression. Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure No Sleep screen test pressings on a piece of crap unless they've upgraded recently.

I think it's a U-Turn, at least that's what was showing up on their Instagram for awhile. The only smaller label that I've seen openly talk around here about actual set-ups and getting the most out of your equipment is Tiny Engines.

Off the top of my head...

Muse - Their first 4 albums (with OOS sounding the best but still shit) are awful.  The last 3 (Resistance, T2L, and Drones) sound excellent!

Silversun Pickups - all of their releases sound like garbage to me especially Swoon and Carnavas

Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright...sounds like someone threw a blanket over my speakers.  Compared to their other vinyl releases, it's shit.

Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways.  For a band that was supposedly splooging over sound quality and vinyl on Wasting Light, this one is a huge letdown.

I can think of two besides a few named ones that sound reasonably bad.

La Dispute/Touche Amore split, but maybe that's the whole point because the digital copies sound bad too.

IIOI/Everyone Everywhere split sounds so lo-fi and scratchy.

Tigers Jaw S/T 5th press or whatever it is on orange/white starburst. 

Just a heads up for people with questions about Radiohead pressings... there is a thread I started awhile back that wound up going several pages deep in which various pressings and reissues from over the years are discussed.  Well worth reading through if you are thinking of making purchases. 

As for my additions to the list:

The Fugees: The Score.   Quiet and noisy.  Very noisy.   And expensive which makes it worse.

Kendrick Lamar: GKMC.  Same thing as above except slightly less noisy but even quieter.

Kyuss: Sky Valley: Quiet and Flat 

A Sunny Day In Glasgow: Sea When Absent...  Sort of like Capitol's Amnesiac pressing where it's hard to pinpoint why it doesn't sound good... it just sounds off.

Warpaint: The Fool.   This one isn't terrible, but it's still disappointing that such a lush and nuanced album sounds so... flat.

Just off the top of my head

My Chemical Romance - Three cheers - first press

Avenged Sevenfold - Sounding the Seventh Trumpet - Hot topic repress white

Norma Jean - The Almighty Box Set - sounds weird and the songs have shitty gaps in between songs.

Twitching Tongues - In Love There Is No Law - First Press.

Cky - The Best Of - Sounds really flat.

On the subject of bad pressings, is there a superior pressing of NIN's Pretty Hate Machine? I know Trent shit on the repress, but people claim the 2010 remaster has more compression. Thoughts?

There were two recent repressing. The two disc remaster with updated artwork sounds fantastic. The single LP repress is horrendous

Bon Iver - For Emma and S/T.  Both are noisy and flat.

Tame Impala - Lonerism (2014 Repress), Very noisy.

As for Radiohead pressings, I recently got OK Computer and Amnesiac.  both were Capitol Sleeves and Parlophone discs and sounded fine.  My brother recently got Kid A.  Capitol Sleeve and Capitol discs.  I haven't heard it so I can't comment on the sound.

It seems the Muse re-presses get a lot of flack for sounding bad.  I have Origin of Symmetry and recently got Black Holes and Revelations and both have sounded fine to me.  

Letlive.'s The Blackest Beautiful is a garbage pressing all around. Flimsiest piece of vinyl I've ever seen and it's basically unlistenable. Shrill and distorted.

Despite what the band says, the mixing/mastering job they did is just terrible.  When you take that piece a shit and put it on wax, it still sounds shitty.

Yup, For Emma sounds like complete dog shit on vinyl. I think my pressing was off-center, too. 

I've actually had 2 copies of each and they are both terrible.  The current ones I have are at least listenable.  The first copies I had of each were too noisy to even listen to.  I gave For Emma to a friend and Popmarket replaced S/T for me.  Blood Bank actually sounds OK but my copy is warped.  Not a good track record of Bon Iver records.  I've heard most Jagjaguwar releaeses are terrible pressings but these are the only ones I own.  

Polyphia's IndieGoGo pressing of Muse. They forgot to add the bass in. At least a remastered version is being pressed.

ETR's Cartel - Chroma. This may be strictly my copy, but towards the middle of the record, a pop sound will happen once per revolution. This occurs on both sides. I'm guessing I just got a bad copy.