Bad/Disappointing Pressings

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie Box Set - 1st US Pressing. Serious IGD on the A/B disc.

The issues have been fixed on the second pressing.

Any specific way to tell which pressing is which without opening it? I found this locally and considered it pretty heavily, but it's a $90 gamble apparently.

Any specific way to tell which pressing is which without opening it? I found this locally and considered it pretty heavily, but it's a $90 gamble apparently.

I think you need to open it to check if it's the second pressing. As far as I know all the first press copies are gone from retail, but there's no way to be sure beforehand.

Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister (Matador reissue from 2011 OLE 296-1)

the sound quality isn't the worst, but the tracks are probably digitally sourced. There are noticable gaps between the tracks, which ruins the album since a lot of the tracks transition from one to other.

Probably the only vinyl record where it bothered me to the point of getting rid of it.

I dont have any of the new Nile represses, I did contact Relapse about these and they replied: "New masters for vinyl, they sound great!"

I didnt buy them though, been burned with bad pressings from them too many times (Baroness, Mastodon). 

Does anyone have a vinyl rip of the Nile represses?

I think they sound fantastic, man. Black Seeds with Derek Roddy's drumming.... just crazy.

I may try to find original presses because I feel like the CD's I bought when those albums first came out had a warmer, more squashed and compressed sound that I love, but these do sound (and look) very nice.

Do you have original pressings?

I think you need to open it to check if it's the second pressing. As far as I know all the first press copies are gone from retail, but there's no way to be sure beforehand.

Right on. I'll probably just take the risk cuz I've been wanting to get into the Pumpkins, and I've always been told that's the album to start with.

Right on. I'll probably just take the risk cuz I've been wanting to get into the Pumpkins, and I've always been told that's the album to start with.

It's all over the place, but one of the best albums ever for sure, so it must be a good start ;) might be a bit overwhelming at first though.

On the subject of bad pressings, is there a superior pressing of NIN's Pretty Hate Machine? I know Trent shit on the repress, but people claim the 2010 remaster has more compression. Thoughts?

The very first USA pressing on TVT from 1989 sounds GREAT. I picked up a scuffy VG copy with a cut corner back in the day, and it just sounded awesome.

I later picked up an early 90s re-issue on TVT new, and it sounded poor in comparason.

(Made in Canada seal on the back cover.)

I have not heard the 2010 re-issue.

The very first USA pressing on TVT from 1989 sounds GREAT. I picked up a scuffy VG copy with a cut corner back in the day, and it just sounded awesome.

I later picked up an early 90s re-issue on TVT new, and it sounded poor in comparason.

(Made in Canada seal on the back cover.)

I have not heard the 2010 re-issue.

pm had 2 reissues a few years ago.

Trent shit on the single LP done by tv

He had a hand in the 2xLP that added get down make love...get that version

I think they sound fantastic, man. Black Seeds with Derek Roddy's drumming.... just crazy.

I may try to find original presses because I feel like the CD's I bought when those albums first came out had a warmer, more squashed and compressed sound that I love, but these do sound (and look) very nice.

Do you have original pressings?

I had the original pressings but sold them because they sounded bad. 

a note on letlive's Blackest Beautiful, the vinyl master actually sounds wayyyy better than the CD master, its just that the record sounds like trash in all forms. Which sucks cause it could've sounded pretty good, some guy who mixed part of it posted his unused versions. 

I think they did it to mask the intense autotune

Start with Siamese Dream.  It's not better than Mellon Collie, or worse, but that's where you should start.  Honestly, I'd tell you to start with Gish, but Siamese Dream is the safe play.

Silversun Pickups - all of their releases sound like garbage to me especially Swoon and Carnavas

Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright...sounds like someone threw a blanket over my speakers.  Compared to their other vinyl releases, it's shit.

I'm glad it's not just me that thinks that Weezer record sounds like garbage. The whole thing sounds muffled. 

What specifically is wrong with the SSPU albums? I'm just curious since I bought them the other day. 

The list is out of hand. It should take more than one opinion first of all... Then after whatever argument does or does not happen setups and cleaning processes should be posted to determine who is more credible.

Solid point. Also everyone shoots a lemon from time to time, so basically most of us could've just had bad luck.