Bad/Disappointing Pressings

With that said has anyone liked Jack White - Lazaretto pressing. That thing was pretty crappy everywhere I read

I only listened to the first two songs but it sounded okay. I don't know if I'm the one to ask though since I've never heard the digital version so I have nothing to compare it to. I also have no intention of ever listening to it again.

It's kinda weird that it has problems since apparently a lot of thought went into pressing it. Although a lot of the thought seemed to be on superfluous stuff like playing from the inside out and weird hologram stuff.

Anyways, I think there probably needs to be like 2 or 3 opinions before something is branded as bad and put in the op. 

Yeah I was hoping someone would chime in on Moon and Antarctica. I know it's not my setup, but I'm wondering if I just got a fucked up one or if it's a known issue.

I think side 3 is the only side that sounds fucked up. I can't remember if it was that side exactly but there was an absurd amount of constant surface noise

I really love my copy of The Moon and Antarctica, bummed to hear other people have issues with it

What pressing are we talking about? I remember the 2012 reissue to be just a little bit flat and harsh to my ears. Nothing to complain about really, I think it's a good pressing. This years clear MOV sounds stellar

Lol at this thread. People with cheap record players (and other equipment) thought RL Led Zeppelin II sounded like crap when it was released.

^ This ^

I can not get over HOW GOOD this pressing sounds. I did not believe the hype until I heard it with my own two ears.

I heard so many copies got "returned" as defects back in the day because the RL was cut so hot, it caused your typical 1969 turntable to skip in some spots.

But play that thing on a properly set up, decent turntable, it sounds like Robert and the boys just kicked your door in, and are just ROCKIN' OUT in your living room. :D

My City and Colour - Sometimes always has sounded awful. Aggressively muddy and loud and all together mostly unlistenable, my CD sounds WAY better. However, I've never heard any other complaints and Dine Alone usually has their shit together so I suspect that it is just my copy. Been trying to track down the RSD 2011 original press to see if I can confirm.

original is ok, but wasn't a sonic wonder. Still wish I had it though, an ex took it

Is the new alt j album on this list? I bought it and returned it twice because there was a lot of static throughout ..the girl at the register asked "did you listen to any other version of this? They are weird and experimental" Looking back on it, this record was one of my first purchases and I know for sure I didn't clean it but I did use a carbon fiber brush..

I know people received copies with different music on it too

I mentioned in the 'recent purchases' that the og press of 'What It Is To Burn by Finch sounds terrible. There's no way Drive-Thru listened to these! My copy of The Movielife's 'Forty Hour Train Back To Penn' actually has a gap between the first two tracks. The C-side of that Finch album has a second or two of 'Ender' before the last track on the disc ends too which starts on side D! Bad sound quality goes for The Early November's 'The Room's To Cold' and RX Bandits 'The Resignation'.

I could sell/trade these for some decent change, but it's hard since the label folded and I see them as artifacts or something like that. I can't be the only one who holds on to shitty pressings just to have the og in their collection?!

interesting thread with an important idea! I agree, though, that we should not only rely on single opinions here. 

with that said, here's my addition:

I owned a second press copy (yellow) of You Blew It's "Grow Up, Dude" and it sounded terrible throughout. I guess the first pressing had the same issues, but can not confirmed that as I neve owned a copy of that.

Later, Topshelf issued a remastered pressing of this (maroon) and all pressing thereafter were the remasters as well. I bought a maroon copy. It sounded ace and I ended up selling my second press.

So, there is no real danger for customers here since the flaw has been noticed by the label and all (?) copies in the market should be remastered/good sounding copies. But for collectors this might be of importance.

Can anybody else who has "Flies To Flame" by Rosetta in the highlighter yellow check their copy?

I'm wondering if mine needs to be cleaned, but... I have a feeling its a shitty pressing, because the sound is just bad.

Also, I was thoroughly unimpressed and kind of bummed by Russian Circles "Memorial" when I got that on vinyl.

I was hoping for a big, titanic sound to go with those massive songs, but I much prefer the digital version.

Can some of these bad pressings be poor mastering? Some records, like my Isis records, sound UNREAL. The sound just swarms out of the speakers and fills the room. Other times, like with the Rosetta and Russian Circles album, it sounds like, thin... and kind of gritty. It doesn't have that swelling warmth that I love about vinyl.

It's just Tiny Cities Made of Ashes, but it's unlistenable.

I love that song too :(

That song is unlistenable in the first place. Not joking, it is the only record I have genuinely considered taking a knife and scratching a song off of. A major blemish on an otherwise perfect album imo.

This is a good thread.  I definitely want to add the Blink 182 enema of the state splatter reissue.  Mine has a lot of skips on the B side.  Only other one I can think of that I've heard is I had a metallica master of puppets single LP reissue from 2008 by Mobile Fildelity.  Flattest, thinest sounding record I've ever played.

This is a good thread. I definitely want to add the Blink 182 enema of the state splatter reissue. Mine has a lot of skips on the B side. Only other one I can think of that I've heard is I had a metallica master of puppets single LP reissue from 2008 by Mobile Fildelity. Flattest, thinest sounding record I've ever played.

I have that Enema of the State pressing too and it plays fine. Either you got a bunk record or you haven't cleaned it (mine played fine without cleaning though) or, and this isn't a slight against you, just a possible explanation, you may be playing it on a garbage turntable.