I'm Just A Newb and have already met a Vinyl Critic!

I couldn't find a thread for this. I was browsing speakers at a thrift store (they were all junk so I didn't get one) and asked a nearby guy for help identifying something that looked like a speaker, but was not labelled as such. And we had a "nice" discussion in which he said he sold all his vinyl stuff and said "why have vinyl when you could have your music on CDs?" He also came up to me later as I was browsing the vinyl section and saw what was in my basket and criticized my choice in Anne Murray. "You weren't even born yet!" (no, I wasn't born when she was big, my mom was a big fan though and she taught me to love Anne Murray, and Kenny Rogers, which is the other vinyl I got.) and then he said "Do you even know where she was born?" (Canada, but that's not the point, because I don't even know where half my relatives were born!) But this guy was maybe the same age as my own dad and he was skeptical that vinyl was coming back and I felt like he wasn't discouraging me out of friendly helpfulness but was actually mocking my interests and music tastes.

I'm so new to this too and I really wanted to enjoy my trip to buy more vinyl and only felt like a silly kid. I'm 33, I am not a silly kid and shouldn't be made to feel like one.

Anybody else have a similar experience?

Not a critic, but every time I mail a record out and I get this one particular guy at the post office he's always got some comment about records and how no one knows what they are anymore or whatever.  It's only annoying because I'm there to mail a record, to another person who wants the record which I've done lots of times with his help. Apparently there are at least two people per visit (three including him) who are aware that records exist still.