Alleged Sexual Assaulters and Scumbags

Time for everyone to get mad at me again.

I know you're on the right side of this and I am not attacking you personally. The "what if it was your daughter/mother/sister/girlfriend?" thing needs to stop. I get what the point is and its coming from the right place, but it's kinda shitty. It implies that women are their relationship to men before they're just human beings. It just perpetuates the idea of women belonging to men. Not actively, but shit like "Hey man, that's someone's daughter (or whatever)" in response to, say, something like street harassment is like saying "Hey, think of how another man would feel about this"

I WILL NOW BATHE IN YOUR DOWNVOTES

Upvote for you Bruce.  Women are not chattel!

Don't like the vast majority of PN bands.  TSSF, FYS, State Champs and Gates are dece but don't really buy any of their records anymore so I am definitely not buying any in the future, but I found this link: 

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3725131

I'm gutted to see Fireworks mentioned in there... can someone shed some light?  I love their music, briefly met Dave and Tymm before (Tymm's not even with the band anymore).  I've seen them joke around in videos and stuff, once Brett made fun of homeless people and I get how it is to joke around with your friends, but I thought it was kind of harsh and a little heartless, but I brushed it off, separate the art from the artist, people aren't perfect and all that.  But this business is way too far past the line and I legit want to know how they even got mentioned in that post. Anyone know?

Don't like the vast majority of PN bands. TSSF, FYS, State Champs and Gates are dece but don't really buy any of their records anymore so I am definitely not buying any in the future, but I found this link:

I'm gutted to see Fireworks mentioned in there... can someone shed some light? I love their music, briefly met Dave and Tymm before. I've seen them joke around in videos and stuff, once Brett made fun of homeless people and I get how it is to joke around with your friends, but I thought it was kind of harsh and a little heartless, but I brushed it off, separate the art from the artist, people aren't perfect and all that. But this business is way too far past the line and I legit want to know how they even got mentioned in that post. Anyone know?

I think they tweeted (or at least 1 member) defending pure noise or the rapist. Either that or they just congratulated No Good News on the signing. A little vague, but I know it was because of a tweet that has probably since been deleted.

I think they tweeted (or at least 1 member) defending pure noise or the rapist. Either that or they just congratulated No Good News on the signing. A little vague, but I know it was because of a tweet that has probably since been deleted.

I'm trying to get actual details via google search but it links to tumblr and I guess I don't know how to use the internet anymore cause I can't find the actual discussion.

Can someone who understand tumblr dig for me?

You can find it if you google:

"oh no what did Fireworks do"

With the quotations

Hoping that will shed light.

Don't like the vast majority of PN bands.  TSSF, FYS, State Champs and Gates are dece but don't really buy any of their records anymore so I am definitely not buying any in the future, but I found this link: 

I'm gutted to see Fireworks mentioned in there... can someone shed some light?  I love their music, briefly met Dave and Tymm before.  I've seen them joke around in videos and stuff, once Brett made fun of homeless people and I get how it is to joke around with your friends, but I thought it was kind of harsh and a little heartless, but I brushed it off, separate the art from the artist, people aren't perfect and all that.  But this business is way too far past the line and I legit want to know how they even got mentioned in that post. Anyone know?

Harry from some irrelevant band raped a girl 3 years ago, was called out by Christian of The Hotelier, then JJR (tour manager of several bands including the wonder years) told Christian off for it, 3 years later Harry is in a new irrelevant band and gets signed by Pure Noise and several major bands defend and even support Harry, thus this boycott 

Whoa, whoa, whoa. We have a legal system for a reason. This young woman has brought no legal charges against this person.

No. This behavior should not be tolerated, but I can't support vigilante justice. While I agree that action should be taken when there are allegations like this, this is very much a case of he said/she said. It's a terrible situation, but "lynching" someone when there is an allegation but very little evidence isn't right either.

I get where you're coming from.  I really do.  

I've wrote a huge post in response to this but deleted it before posting.  I'll try and keep my ideology as abbreviated as possible.  If you know someone who is / has abused someone you owe it to society to give the abuser a solid beating.  Also if you know someone who you trust who tells you they've been abused you owe it to society to give their abuser a solid beating.

Hopefully I'm not coming across as to much of a sociopath.

Harry from some irrelevant band raped a girl 3 years ago, was called out by Christian of The Hotelier, then JJR (tour manager of several bands including the wonder years) told Christian off for it, 3 years later Harry is in a new irrelevant band and gets signed by Pure Noise and several major bands defend and even support Harry, thus this boycott 

Good summary. Reading more about it... aaaand the guitarist of State Champs is a fucking idiot for the comment he made and subsequent backpedaling.

I want to know what Fireworks has to do with any of this.  parkinglot shed a bit of light but if someone could check out those tumblr leads for me, I seriously don't know how to use it and don't want to sign up.

Read a list of bands on and affiliated with the label/situation.

I am going to boycott everyone involved 110%. Of course this requires zero effort on my part and my life will not change at all. All those bands are terrible or I've never heard of them, so obviously they are terrible.

This kind of action is needed though. Fuck predators and abusers. They need to be publicly called out so this kind of shit stops being accepted.

This

well besides showing support for a band with one of the members being a rapist:

https://mobile.twitter.com/thestorysofarca/status/594199177099227136

Congratulating a band on joining a label (especially your own) does not (necessarily) mean they know about and/or support the crime.

I was at the Fireworks/Turnover/Sorority Noise show on Long Island tonight. Harry Corrigan appeared to be welcomed with smiling faces and open arms at all three of the bands' merch tables. I found it beyond fucked up that this guy was trotting around the venue like he was some legend, while being in a room surrounded by a noticeably young, predominantly female crowd.

Obviously this is just one persons interpretation of a situation, but I thought I'd share it.  I honestly doubt Turnover and (especially) Sorority Noise had any idea who this dude was.  Not really in too similar of scenes.

I was at the Fireworks/Turnover/Sorority Noise show on Long Island tonight. Harry Corrigan appeared to be welcomed with smiling faces and open arms at all three of the bands' merch tables. I found it beyond fucked up that this guy was trotting around the venue like he was some legend, while being in a room surrounded by a noticeably young, predominantly female crowd.

Obviously this is just one persons interpretation of a situation, but I thought I'd share it.  I honestly doubt Turnover and (especially) Sorority Noise had any idea who this dude was.  Not really in too similar of scenes.

That must've been why FW was mentioned in that absolute punk summary? Ick. Thanks for finding the quote though.

That must've been why FW was mentioned in that absolute punk summary? Ick. Thanks for finding the quote though.

Yeah.  I remember hearing they were buddies with the rapist.  There were also some other posts in that ap.net thread about the dude in Fireworks making fun of a homeless person, and using queer in a derogatory way.  Just to fill you in.  Again, that stuff, while lame, isn't on the same level as knowingly allying yourself with an offender.

Yeah.  I remember hearing they were buddies with the rapist.  There were also some other posts in that ap.net thread about the dude in Fireworks making fun of a homeless person, and using queer in a derogatory way.  Just to fill you in.  Again, that stuff, while lame, isn't on the same level as knowingly allying yourself with an offender.

Yeah I saw that other stuff... mostly just want to know what exactly they have to do with the PN related bands/issues.  Another google search said something about Long Island so that must've been it.  And the homeless guy thing was me in this thread I think.  It was from a YT video they posted a long time ago.  Brett is pretending to be a panhandler and they roll the window up in his face.  The queer thing seems to be randomly thrown out there.  I kinda doubt Dave would talk bad about gay people.  But yeah, definitely not on the same level.  I guess they are acquainted with either this Harry or JJR guy from the scene and that's why they were mentioned.  Still don't really get the full picture but that might be all I can find on it.

Timing is also important with all of this...

Trying to objectively put myself in other people's shoes here....  If I was friends with someone, and I didn't think they were capable of such actions, and they told me the accusations were bullshit, I would believe them.  The fault comes through when the evidence is no longer refutable.

Timing is also important with all of this...

Trying to objectively put myself in other people's shoes here....  If I was friends with someone, and I didn't think they were capable of such actions, and they told me the accusations were bullshit, I would believe them.  The fault comes through when the evidence is no longer refutable.

Totally.  I just really kept that band close to my heart and don't want to find out that they did something like what the guitarist from State Champs did.  (make light of the accusations and subsequent backlash, and then proceed to backpedal.)

When I saw FW live  I talked to Dave and Tymm briefly and told them how much their music meant to me and gave Dave a massive hug, dude hugged me back and I was almost crying.  Kinda glad Tymm isn't in the band anymore seeing this stuff. When he left I was bummed and skipped out on going to see them cause its not the same with a replacement.  Since then I've been like 'I hope they don't make another record without him, they should just break up.'  So I've kinda lost interest a bit cause of that, but now this is a whole other thing, and seeing them fall on the wrong side of the issue pains me.  I can't support a band after seeing them in that light.  So that's why I want to know exactly why they were mentioned.

Here's is the assaulters original post on the subject. It's disgusting. Also trigger warning because he is very descriptive of what him and the woman do.

http://pastebin.com/BzS9fnqt

Read the link you posted and then realized that the girl's account of what happened is in the ap thread links, here:

http://pastebin.com/dDmRSJcD

Haven't read that link yet but just glancing at it safe to assume that its more graphic and more of a trigger than his account. *edit* after reading MAJOR TRIGGER WARNING and that link also links to this: http://explainingwatertothefish.tumblr.com/post/67169470945/tw-harry-corrigan-of-long-island-bands-is-a which has even more information.

Really bugs me that guys in bands use whatever little notoriety they have to take advantage of young women.  This is not what I thought pop punk was about.  Predators should not be allowed to play all ages shows and be near youths.  Allying yourself with someone who preys on youths is also despicable.  Ugh.

After more googling I came up with some things:

Apparently this JJR guy went to bat for the assaulter and threatened to sue to guy from Hotel Year (Hotlier) into the ground for blowing the lid on the thing. Also found this petition to get JJR removed from tours here:

https://www.change.org/p/four-year-strong-a-loss-for-words-transit-remove-john-james-ryan-from-your-future-tours

If anyone is wondering I found the stuff just by googling John James Ryan Harry Corrigan and you can find links to the other stuff mentioned using those terms or the change.org link.  If you check out the link, JJR is basically a lying scumbag who tried to cover up for Harry. If this issue is important to you, it might be worth signing.

Then I stumbled upon JJR's twitter and one of his pics has a comment from Jake Lang (twitter handle Fake Wang)  I recognize this guy, he took over merch duties on Fireworks' more recent tours.  Nothing really fishy there, but they are friends and the pic and comment were recent so I guess Fireworks must (still) be at least associated through business with this JJR guy and so that must be how their name showed up on that list.  I think JJR tour manages a ton of these pop punk bands.  Found nothing else regarding any comments or involvement though.  So he tour manages the Wonder Years, here's a link for more on where I got that, from the guy from The Hotelier: http://www.wonderingsound.com/feature/the-hotelier-interview/

Would like to see more bands speaking out, instead of helping sweep it under the rug by doing nothing.  I'm disappointed. More digging turned up Chris Mojan's twitter from Fireworks and he sent out a tweet recently mentioning Front Porch Step, all I could really find on that.

I know that real punk has never been a perfectly equitable scene and things like this happen there too, but man, it sure seems like it happens a fuckton more often in the Defend Pop Punk scene, ey? I wonder why that is. I'd wager that contemporary pop punk has a higher "per capita" rate of sexual assault than any genre other than maybe hip-hop, but I believe that's largely due to sexism inherent in that culture. What's the reason here?

Man, wasn't there just some big fuckin' deal a few months ago about this same shit happening with the guy from some other big band? Set Your Goals? New Found Glory? Somebody big was outed as a sex offender. And before that, the Front Porch guy? And before that... their names are all on the tip of my tongue, but the bands all sound the fucking same.

Fuck this shit. I hate to coopt the word used by so many lazy "social activists" online, but this "scene" is fucking "problematic." 

Edit: It was New Found Glory. Fuck it. They all have the same three or four word names, all sound like they could have been pulled at random from an angsty teenager's diary. Maybe that's it, that these guys are all mentally still 14 and don't fully understand the concept of consent.